Quarterdeck Office Systems
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010)|
|The Quarterdeck logo from 1997.|
|Fate||Acquired by Symantec|
|Headquarters||Marina del Rey, California
|Products||Quarterdeck Expanded Memory Manager, DESQview, DESQview/X,|
Quarterdeck Office Systems, later Quarterdeck Corporation (NASDAQ: QDEK), was an American computer software company. It was founded by Therese Myers and Gary Pope in 1981 and incorporated in 1982. Their offices were initially located at 150 Pico Boulevard in Santa Monica, California and later at 13160 Mindanao Way in Marina Del Rey, California, as well as a sales and technical support unit located in Clearwater, Florida. In the 1990s, they had a European office in Dublin, Ireland. Their most famous products were the Quarterdeck Expanded Memory Manager, DESQview, CleanSweep, DESQview/X, Quarterdeck Mosaic, Manifest and Partition-It.
Quarterdeck undertook a number of acquisitions in the 1990s, leading ultimately to its failure in 1998 due to the collapse of the market for MS-DOS-based utilities.
In 1995, the company acquired Landmark Research International Corp. for 3.5 million shares of Quarterdeck (acquiring MagnaRAM and WinProbe) and then Inset Systems, Inc. of Brookfield, Connecticut in September of that year for 933,000 shares of Quarterdeck (acquiring HiJaak graphics software in the deal).
In 1997, Quarterdeck acquired Datastorm Technologies, Inc., publishers of PROCOMM and PROCOMM PLUS, and relocated its technical support and development operations from California and Florida, to Datastorm's Columbia, Missouri headquarters.
In 1998, with DOS utilities market all but collapsed, Quarterdeck was acquired by Symantec (the Norton Utilities company), which discontinued support of some Quarterdeck products, e.g., Mosaic, and integrated others into larger offerings, e.g., CleanSweep, which became part of Norton SystemWorks.
List of software products
- DESQ, predecessor to DESQview
- DESQview (DESQ successor, with Topview compatibility)
- DESQview 386 (DESQview that shipped bundled with QEMM 386)
- DESQview/X (an X based version of DESQview)
- GlobalChat IRC client
- GlobalStage IRC server (run on irc.scifi.com until 2003)
- HiJaak Graphics Suite
- Quarterdeck Expanded Memory Manager, formerly QEMM 386
- Quarterdeck InternetSuite
- Quarterdeck Message Center
- Quarterdeck Mosaic
- Quarterdeck Sidebar
- QRAM, an Intel 80286-based expanded memory manager
- WebCompass, an early metasearch tool
- WebStar (via StarNine)
- Board of Trustees - Boston College
- Our Team - InfraTab
- Larson, Jennifer (1993). "Quarterdeck Is Changing The Office Environment". General Computing 4 (8).
- Divvying up Disks PC Mag, 25. März 1997, S. 66
- Patent Is Won By Quarterdeck - NY Times
- PR Newswire, June 30, 1995. "Quarterdeck Acquires Landmark Research International"
- PR Newswire, September 06, 1995. "Quarterdeck Signs Agreement to Acquire Inset Systems, Inc.; Inset Shipped This Week a Complete Graphic Utilities Solution for Windows 95".
- Symantec Press Release
- Quarterdeck Mosaic screen shots
- Quarterdeck website from June 1997
- Merger announcement
- Usenet group for DESQview
- SEC 10-K form for 9/30/96
- Floor plan and Pictures of the Quarterdeck Building located in Columbia, Missouri that was purchased by the University of Missouri.