Queensland Energy Resources
|Key people||Pearse Bowman (CEO)|
Queensland Energy Resources Limited (QERL) is an Australian oil shale mining and shale oil extraction company with the headquarters in Brisbane. It is the developer of the Stuart (Yarwun) and McFarlane oil shale projects.
Queensland Energy Resources Limited was formed in February 2004, when it acquired the assets of the Stuart Oil Shale Project from receivers of the project's former developer, Southern Pacific Petroleum N.L. On 21 July 2004, QER announced that the plant would be shut down for economic and environmental reasons. From 2005 to 2007, oil shale from its deposits were tested in a pilot plant facility in Rifle, Colorado owned by Shale Technologies. On 14 August 2008, Queensland Energy Resources announced that it had shunned the Alberta Taciuk Processor (ATP) oil shale processing technology in favor of the Paraho II technology and that the ATP technology-based plant was being dismantled, and obsolete components were being sold. On 24 August 2008, the Queensland Government announced an oil-shale mining moratorium over the company-owned McFarlane deposit for 20 years.
On 10 May 2010, the company announced a plan for construction of a small-scale shale-oil demonstration plant at Yarwun (the site of the Stuart Oil Shale Project). The new plant produced its first oil on 6 October 2011.
Queensland Energy Resources holds mining tenement rights to several oil shale deposits in Queensland, Australia. Two major resources are Stuart, located at Yarwun, Queensland, and McFarlane, located near Proserpine. The McFarlane oil shale resource, one of Australia's largest, remains under a 20-year mining moratorium. QER operates a visitor's center at the Yarwun site and is completing a technology demonstration plant based on the Paraho II Technology.
- Survey of energy resources (PDF) (22 ed.). World Energy Council. 2010. p. 104. ISBN 0-946121-26-5. Retrieved 2011-10-09.
- Wilkinson, Rick (2008-08-14). "Queensland oil shale project still in the wings". PennWell Corporation. (subscription required). Retrieved 2008-08-15.
- "Victory: shale oil project collapses" (Press release). Greenpeace. 2004-07-21. Retrieved 2011-10-09.
- "Oil shale decision a blow for Queensland". Queensland Resources Council. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- Moran, Kieran (2010-05-11). "QER to begin shale oil plant demo". The Gladstone Observer (APN News & Media Ltd.). Retrieved 2010-05-23.
- Bartholomew, Kylie (2010-05-10). "Different technology to drive shale oil plant". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. ABC News. Retrieved 2010-05-23.
- Sparkes, David (2011-10-06). "QER has good oil on shale". The Gladstone Observer (APN News & Media Ltd.). Retrieved 2011-10-09.