Quercus - Associação Nacional de Conservação da Natureza (Quercus - National Association for Nature Conservation) is a Portuguese environmental organization founded in 1985. The name Quercus is used because the Oak (Quercus in Latin) is one of the species that is characteristic from this country and that nowadays is more rare. It is headquartered in the Monsanto Forest Park, in Lisbon.
Quercus is a Portuguese organization, but it has concerns about the environment outside Portugal as well. A recent initiative, Earth Condominium alerts for the need of a global management of some earth resources like the water or the air.
Most of its action is in Portugal, where this organization acts by creating awareness about the environment problems that this country faces, and by presenting more environmentally friendly options. Quercus also acts formally by complaining in Portuguese and European courts about allegedly unlawful actions against the environment.
Priorities and campaigns
GM - Quercus is against the use and production of genetically modified food, for human and animal consumption. It is a member of Plataforma Trangénicos Fora do Prato, a Portuguese Organization that defends a GM free agriculture.
Nuclear - Quercus is against the use of nuclear technology to produce energy, it has participated in the campaign One Million Europeans against Nuclear Power, and is affiliated with Plataforma Não ao Nuclear.
Water - The organization has campaigned to create awareness about the challenges of water quality and quantity management in the planet. Recently it has announced the Earth-Condominium concept.
Anyone who share the Quercus environmental goals can apply for a membership. This can be done online or by contacting any of the local groups. Prices go from € 8 to € 20 (yearly) for individual membership and € 45 for organizations.
The organization works under a democratic model. Leaders are elected under national and local elections, which take place every year or every two years. Decisions are also voted if a consensus is not possible.
Local groups are called Núcleos. Quercus has 20 local groups in almost every region in Portugal.
Projects are other type of structures that have very specific objectives. For example Ecocasa gives information about environment friendly houses, and 3 animal hospitals take care of wounded wild animals.
On television, Quercus has a regular one minute show, giving advices on how anyone can contribute to a better environment. Some of the organization messages and campaigns are usually noticed on TV, specially if they speak about a current newsworthy issue like the plans to build a new airport in Lisbon.
The official website, www.quercus.pt, is the main means of communication for the organization.
Other local structures such as Porto also have their independent websites. Other projects in which Quercus is involved like Ecocasa., Earth Condominium and Topten also have their independent websites.
On the 5th of June 2007, Quercus has announced Quercus TV, a web TV for environmental issues. The organization plans to post videos from their activities and other videos about the environment.
- Wo we are - Quercus official website
- Planeta Condomínio - Primeiro de Janeiro (Newspaper)
- De que plataforma se trata? - Stop OGM website
- naoaonuclar.org - Platform against nuclear
- O trabalho da Quercus na área dos Resíduos - Quercus website (Quercus work against waste)
- Inscrição Online - Quercus website
- Estatutos da Quercus - Quercus website
- Contactos da Quercus - Quercus Website
- Centros de recuperação de fauna - Quercus website
- Minuto Verde - RTP website, list of videos from Minuto Verde
- Quercus contra aeroporto em Alcochete - SIC website, 8th June 2007
- Quercus Porto - Porto group website
- Ecocasa - A house with environmental concerns
- Earth Condominum - A website about global management resources
- Top Ten - Portuguese version of Topten.info, an environmental consumer website
- Quercus instala planeta gigante e lança Quercus TV - Sapo Notícias, 5th June 2007
- Hélder Spínola apresenta Quercus TV - Quercus TV (The president of Quercus presents Quercus TV)
- A televisão da Quercus na internet - Quercus official website, 5th June 2007