|Look up quincunx in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
A quincunx is a geometric pattern consisting of five points, four in a square with one more in the middle of the square.
Quincunx may also refer to:
- Quincunx matrix, a 2×2 Hadamard matrix that generates points in a diagonal lattice pattern
- Bean machine, also called a quincunx, a machine designed by Sir Francis Galton to demonstrate normal distributions, consisting of an array of pins in a diagonal lattice pattern
- Quincuncial map, a method of mapping the globe onto a square so that the poles map to the five points of a quincunx
- Place des Quinconces, a city square in Bordeaux, France, named for the quincunx pattern in which its trees were planted
- In 19th-century mathematics, "quincunx" was used to describe a rhombic lattice, the points of intersection of two families of equally spaced parallel lines
Quincunxes in literature include:
- The Garden of Cyrus or The Quincunciall Lozenge is a 1658 philosophical treatise by Sir Thomas Browne concerning interconnections in art and science involving the number five and the quincunx pattern
- Quincunx is a lake with an island containing Mistress Masham's Repose in the 1946 novel of that name by T. H. White
- The Quincunx of Time is a 1973 science fiction novel by James Blish. The title refers to an orchard in the Academy of Plato, planted in a quincunx pattern
- The Avignon Quintet is a set of five novels that its author, Lawrence Durrell, described as forming a quincunx. The fifth, Quinx (1985), has a plot that includes the discovery of a stone quincunx pattern
- The Quincunx is a 1989 novel by Charles Palliser that traces five related families over five generations
In biology, "quincuncial" has multiple meanings but does not generally refer to the five-point quincunx pattern:
- Quincuncial aestivation is an arrangement of the parts of a flower bud prior to opening found in some plants
- Quincuncina is a genus of freshwater mussels named for the pattern of nodules on its shells
The following uses relate to the original meaning of a quincunx as a 5/12 fraction rather than to the geometric pattern:
- Quincunx (Roman coin), a bronze coin with the value of 5/12 of an as
- Quincunx (astrology), an angle of 150°, 5/12 of a complete circle
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Quincunx.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.