Quincy Adams (MBTA station)
Red Line train departs from Quincy Adams "T" station
|Address||Burgin Parkway at Centre Street
Quincy, MA 02169
|Connections||MBTA Bus: 238|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Tracks||2 (Red Line)|
|Parking||2378 spaces (29 accessible)|
|Bicycle facilities||64 spaces|
|Opened||September 10, 1983|
|Owned by||Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority|
|Passengers (2009 daily)||4,383|
Quincy Adams Station is a station on the Braintree Branch of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority's Red Line located in Quincy, Massachusetts. The station features a large park and ride garage, with space for 2378 automobiles, which is built over the station tracks and platforms.
|Parking garage||-||Parking garage|
|Inbound||← Red Line toward Alewife (Quincy Center)|
|Island platform, doors will open on the left|
|Outbound||→ Red Line toward Braintree (Terminus) →|
|Commuter rail track||← Commuter rail lines/CapeFLYER do not stop here →|
The station opened on September 10, 1983 as an infill station on the Braintree Branch. Quincy Adams had been scheduled to open along with Braintree (which opened on March 22, 1980), but construction delays caused Quincy Adams to open three years late.
Currently, the only access to the station is via the park and ride garage off Burgin Parkway. The MBTA opened a pedestrian entrance on the east side of the station leading to Independence Avenue in 1981. However, the streets surrounding that entrance were frequently used for (illegal) parking by riders seeking to avoid paying for the parking garage. In the late 1980s, the entrance was closed, leaving neighborhood residents without station access. The MBTA has no plans to reopen the entrance,which sits intact behind a large gate.
From 1983 to 2007, a double entry fare and single exit fare were charged at Quincy Adams and Braintree when leaving the subway. The extra fares was discontinued as part of a fare increase and service change on January 1, 2007. Similar charges existed until 1980 for the inner stations on the Braintree Branch.
MBTA Bus connections
- "Ridership and Service Statistics". Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. 2010. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Belcher, Jonathan (23 April 2012). "Changes to Transit Service in the MBTA district" (PDF). NETransit. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Tan, L. Kim (7 December 2006). "Can't get there from here". Boston Globe. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- Davey, Rich (22 May 2011). "Ask the MBTA: On gates and delays". Metro. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Waltz, Vicky (11 November 2006). "End of the Line for Free T". BU Today. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- MBTA - Quincy Adams
- Media related to Quincy Adams (MBTA station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Parking garage viewed on Google Maps Street View
- Former Independence Avenue entrance on Google Maps Street View