Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan
|No. of offices||11 |
|No. of attorneys||600 |
|Major practice areas||Litigation only|
|Key people||John Quinn|
|Revenue||$723.4 million (2011)|
|Date founded||1 January 1986|
|Founder||John B. Quinn, Eric Emanuel, David Quinto, Phyllis Kupferstein|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
|Quinn Emanuel Urquhart and Sullivan, LLP|
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP is a litigation-only white shoe global law firm. It is one of the most prestigious and selective law firms in the United States. In 2011, profits per equity partner were the second highest in the world.
The firm is headquartered in Los Angeles, California and currently employs 600 attorneys throughout ten locations around the world, including in New York, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Tokyo, London, Mannheim, Moscow, Hamburg and Paris. The firm's largest office is located in New York City.
The firm was established in 1986 by John B. Quinn, Eric Emanuel, David Quinto, and Phyllis Kupferstein with the purpose of being a litigation-only firm. Joined in 1988 by name partner A. William Urquhart, the firm aimed to do away with law firm formalities. Beginning in 2007, Quinn Emanuel expanded internationally by opening its first office in Tokyo. A year later, the firm expanded to London, then Mannheim, Germany in 2010, Moscow in 2011, and Hamburg in 2012. On September 1, 2011, Washington DC's Legal Times Blog announced that the firm was opening up its first office in the nation's capital.
Quinn Emanuel is the first AmLaw 100 firm to have a female name partner. The firm changed its name in March 2010 to include Kathleen Sullivan, former Dean of Stanford Law School, who heads the firm's appellate practice. The firm was previously known as Quinn Emanuel Urquhart Oliver & Hedges.
A large part of the firm's self-image is the lack of a formal dress code. This casual self-image extends into the corporate structure of the firm, which lacks any formal management committees other than an advisory committee for the evaluation of contingency fee cases. Around 35 percent of Quinn attorneys went to Yale, Harvard, Stanford, NYU or Columbia.
Intellectual Property litigation is the firm’s largest practice area and currently has over 200 lawyers who litigate IP cases.
Recognition and rankings
Quinn Emanuel consistently ranks among the top of various industry surveys. The American Lawyer ranked the firm "Top IP Litigation Department of the Year" in 2010 and one of the top six Litigation Departments in the U.S. In 2012, The American Lawyer recognized the firm as having one of the top three IP Litigation Departments in the country  Chambers and Partners recognized John B. Quinn as "one of the best trial lawyers in California."  Chambers and Partners also ranked Quinn Emanuel among the top tiers for the following categories: Intellectual Property: Patent, Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets; Litigation: General Commercial, Trial Lawyers and White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations; Media and Entertainment; Appellate Law; Bankruptcy and Reconstructing; Sports Law; and Insurance.
Quinn Emanuel regularly appears within the top three of The American Lawyer's annual listing of highest profits per partner. In 2010, Quinn Emanuel posted profits per partner of $3.6 million, ranking number two in the United States. In 2011, profits per partner rose to $4.1 million. The American Lawyer also ranked the firm as the most profitable law firm in the United States among the country's top 200 highest grossing firms, as well as #1 in "Value Per Parter" in its 2012 Law Firm Valuation report.
In 2013, Vault.com ranked Quinn Emanuel as 18th in law firm prestige. In Vault.com's specialty rankings, Quinn Emanuel ranked 1st in general commercial litigation and 5th in intellectual property litigation. Legal 500 ranks Quinn Emanuel as a second tier firm in the Patent Litigation and Trade Secrets practice areas. In January 2011, Law360 awarded Quinn Emanuel the "Insurance Group of the Year" award. In June 2011, the British legal publication, The Lawyer awarded Quinn Emanuel's London office "International Law Firm of the Year."  In 2012, Legal Business named the firm "US Law Firm of the Year." 
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- ANN W., ANN W. (September 24, 2000). "He May Have Played a Lawyer on TV, but Nanny Produced the Brief". LA Times.
- "Complete Profits Per Equity Partner Rankings". Law Firm Stats. February 12, 2013.
- Donovan, Karen (27 April 2011). "Big Law Firms' Profits and Revenues Rise in American Lawyer Survey". The New York Times.
- What's in a Name - The American Lawyer
- Quinn Emanuel Becomes First Am Law 100 Firm to Have a Female Name Partner - Law.com
- Quinn Emanuel Makes Kathleen Sullivan Name Partner - News - ABA Journal
- Firm Feature - Chambers Associate
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP
- Litigation Department of the Year - The American Lawyer
- Editorial - Chambers Partners - Litigation: California
- Firms - Chambers Partners - John B Quinn
- Quinn Emanuel Boosts Profits Per Partner to $3.62M, Hires Associates as Quickly as Possible - News - ABA Journal
- Quinn Emanuel Profits Per Partner Top $3.6 Million - AmericanLawyer.com
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP Rankings | Vault.com
- The Legal 500 > Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP > Los Angeles, USA > What we say
- Insurance Group Of The Year: Quinn Emanuel - Law360
- The Lawyer Awards 2011: Winners | Features | The Lawyer