||This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
Quizilla is a user generated quiz website. It originally started as a website for quizzes. Many users were posting "quizzes" that were actually chapters of fan fiction, so a legitimate section for stories was added even though it is not always used. In 2005 and 2006, the website underwent multiple major changes and additions, including a section for poems and lyrics. On October 16, 2006, Viacom's MTV Networks announced it had bought Quizilla for an undisclosed sum of money.
- The site was created on August 4, 2002, by Matthew Nielsen.
- In late July 2005, the site got a new design with a red background. (It originally had a blue-and-white design.)
- A game page was added, which included puzzles and a Napoleon Dynamite-themed hangman game.
- In October 2005, many new features under request were added such as poems, Zillapedia, an astrology section, and much more.
- In December 2005, a "tag" feature was added and feature that allowed users to label content.
- In January 2006, "themes," sets of fonts, backgrounds, etc., could be applied to content.
- Polls could be made, starting in February 2006.
- In April 2006, message boards were added after numerous requests.
- In August 2006, new story and poem editors were made available. Also, new sections were added for lyrics and "scored quizzes."
- In October 2006, the site was bought by Viacom's MTV Networks.
- In December 2007, the site announced the site layout and content would be changed.
- In early May 2008, the site completely changed the site layout and content, as promised in December the prior year.
- Also in May 2008, Quizilla's original logo - Penny the pencil monster - was taken away along with the old layout.
- On September 28, 2009, The N network was renamed to TeenNick.
- On September 9, 2011, Quizilla left the 'Most Popular Stories' section void. "This list is currently empty. Please check back soon."
- On November 19, 2011, no stories, poems, quizzes, etc. were on the "Most Popular," "Top Rated," "Ultimate," or "Newest" lists
- On November 21, 2011, the URL quizilla.teennick.com directed to a new quiz site linked with Teen Nick
- On November 30, 2011, Quizilla put quizzes, stories, poems, etc. back on the "Most Popular," "Top Rated," "Ultimate," and "Newest" lists
Quizilla's message boards, introduced due to popular request, acted as a community for Quizilla users. There were different sections, like anime, books, poetry, and movies, to discuss different topics. There had been many changes to the forum since its launch in April 2006, most noticeably in the types of content permitted on the forums, when a series of controversial threads called for a rapid increase in monitoring and rule enforcement.
As of late May 2012, the forums have been removed from the site indefinitely.
Zillapedia was a section of Quizilla that used wiki software. Users were able to create entries that provide information, define words, or serve humorous purposes. Zillapedia closely resembled the Urban Dictionary in many ways, and it had similar functions to Wikipedia. It has since been deleted from Quizilla.
- "Viacom's MTV buys teen online community website quizilla.com". Digital Media Wire. 2006-10-17. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Hack of the Day". Matthew Nielsen (Xunker). 2002-08-04. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Quizilla!". Archive.org. 2005-08-01. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "Quizilla!". Archive.org. 2005-07-28. Retrieved 2012-06-03.