Quogue, New York
|Quogue, New York|
|Village of Quogue|
Sunrise over the beaches of Quogue
|• Total||5.0 sq mi (12.9 km2)|
|• Land||4.2 sq mi (10.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.8 sq mi (2.0 km2)|
|Elevation||16 ft (5 m)|
|• Density||190/sq mi (75/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0962113|
Quogue (// KWOG) is an incorporated village in the Town of Southampton, Suffolk County, New York, on the South Shore of Long Island. As of the 2010 United States Census, the population was 967, down from 1,018 at the 2000 census.
Quogue is located at (40.822723, -72.601319).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 5.0 square miles (12.9 km2), of which 4.2 square miles (10.9 km2) is land and 0.77 square miles (2.0 km2), or 15.57%, is water.
The following demographic information applies to the permanent residents of Quogue and not to summer residents:
As of the census of 2010, there were 967 people and 424 households residing in the village. The population density was 191.2 people per square mile (73.8/km²). There were 1,623 housing units. The racial makeup of the village was 888 persons that were White, 17 that were African American, 2 that were Native American, 10 that were Asian, 19 that were other races, and 31 from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.38% of the population.
There were 424 households out of which 164 had children under the age of 18 living with them. 30.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.23 and the average family size was 2.75.
In the village the population was spread out with 164 under the age of 18, 34 from 18 to 24, 227 from 25 to 44, 293 from 45 to 64, and 238 who were 65 years of age or older.
- Arthur Laurents, playwright and screenwriter: West Side Story, The Way We Were, Gypsy
- Michael Forbes, U.S. congressman from 1995-2001
- Michael J. Fox, actor
- Kate French, actress who has appeared on The L Word
- Dan Jiggetts, retired American football offensive lineman for the Chicago Bears
- John Q. Kelly, lawyer
- Teo Macero, jazz saxophonist, composer, and record producer
- Alfred Thayer Mahan, U.S. Rear Admiral, geopolitician and historian
- Eli Manning, American football quarterback for the New York Giants
- Budd Schulberg, writer and screenwriter
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Quogue village, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Seager, Robert. Alfred Thayer Mahan: The Man and His Letters (Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1977).