Quonset State Airport
|Quonset State Airport|
CAP aerial photo, western view
|IATA: none – ICAO: KOQU – FAA LID: OQU|
|Owner||Rhode Island Airport Corp.|
|Serves||North Kingstown, Rhode Island|
|Elevation AMSL||18 ft / 5 m|
Quonset State Airport (ICAO: KOQU, FAA LID: OQU) is a joint civil-military public airport located on Quonset Point, in northeastern North Kingstown, Rhode Island, adjacent to Narragansett Bay. It is a general aviation airport and there is no scheduled airline service available.
It was the site of the Naval Air Station Quonset Point from 1941 until the early 1970s, when the military presence in Rhode Island was drastically scaled down. Despite the Navy's departure, the airport remains the home of Quonset Point Air National Guard Station and the 143d Airlift Wing (143 AW) of the Rhode Island Air National Guard, flying the C-130J Hercules. The Rhode Island Army National Guard also maintains an Army Aviation Support Facility adjacent to the Air National Guard Station for the 1st Battalion, 126th Aviation Regiment, flying the UH-60 Blackhawk.
Quonset State Airport is one of six active airports operated by the Rhode Island Airports Corporation. The other five airports include T.F. Green State Airport, North Central State Airport, Westerly State Airport, Newport State Airport, and Block Island State Airport.
In the early 1980s Providence Airline Corp had daily flights leaving Quonset to Boston, Massachusetts; Hartford County, Connecticut; Syracuse, New York; Buffalo, New York; Chicago, Illinois; and Romulus, Michigan.
Facilities and aircraft
For the 12-month period ending July 31, 2007, the airport had 20,750 aircraft operations, an average of 56 per day: 68% general aviation, 28% military and 4% air taxi. At that time there were 48 aircraft based at this airport: 60% single-engine, 4% multi-engine, 10% helicopter and 25% military.
The fixed based operator on field is AV Ports as of (7/1/2011).
The flight and aviation instruction and airplane rental company on field is Parker Aviation, LLC., which was established on field in 2012.
- FAA Airport Master Record for OQU ( PDF), effective 2007-12-20
- Great Circle Mapper: KOQU - North Kingstown, Rhode Island (Quonset State Airport)
- Quonset State Airport (OQU) page from Rhode Island Airport Corp.
- Airfield photos of Quonset State Airport (OQU) from U.S. Civil Air Patrol at the Wayback Machine (archived September 28, 2007)
- Parker Aviation, LLC. A Rhode Island based Aviation Training Company located at Hangar One on field.
- Photographic archive of the former Quonset Naval Air Station.
- (PDF), effective December 11, 2014
- FAA Terminal Procedures for OQU, effective December 11, 2014
- Resources for this airport: