Johnson with Coventry City in 2014
|Full name||Réda Johnson|
|Date of birth||21 March 1988|
|Place of birth||Marseille, France|
|Height||1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15:46, 14 December 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Réda Johnson (born 21 March 1988) is a footballer who currently plays for Coventry City. He previously played for Sheffield Wednesday, Gueugnon, Amiens and Plymouth Argyle. He has been capped by Benin at international level.
Born in Marseille, to an Algerian mother and Beninese American father, Johnson began his career as a professional footballer in 2005 with Gueugnon. He spent two years with the club but didn't make an appearance in Ligue 2 before joining Amiens. He made his debut on 24 August 2007 and went on to make a further eleven appearances in all competitions during the 2007–08 season. He was restricted to eight league appearances the following season as Amiens were relegated to Championnat National. New manager Serge Romano identified Johnson as one of the club's more saleable assets and agreed that he could leave if a suitable offer materialised. He joined Scottish club Aberdeen on trial in July 2009, and looked set to join them permanently after impressing their manager Mark McGhee.
He then played in a pre-season game for English club Plymouth Argyle, and joined permanently for an undisclosed fee on a three-year contract a few days later. He made his debut on 22 August 2009, and made a further 24 appearances in his first season with the club. He won earned many plaudits for his performances but couldn't prevent Argyle from being relegated. He scored his first senior goal in September 2010 against Colchester United, while captaining the team in the absence of Carl Fletcher. Johnson was sold to Sheffield Wednesday in January 2011 for an undisclosed fee. He scored on his league debut to rescue a point for his new club against Charlton Athletic.
It was announced on 5 July 2014 that Johnson had signed for Coventry City on a one-year contract, with a negotiation clause for a further year. He scored twice on his debut for Coventry, in a 3–2 defeat to Bradford City. Reda again found the net against Yeovil town on his 7th appearance for the sky blues, making that his 3rd goal for the club
- As of 1 November 2014
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other[A]||Total|
|Sheffield Wednesday||2010–11||League One||16||3||3||0||0||0||0||0||19||3|
|Coventry City||2014–15||League One||9||3||0||0||0||0||0||0||9||3|
- A. ^ The "Other" column constitutes appearances and goals (including substitutes) in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.
Johnson had the possibility of playing for four different countries, with his father being an American of Beninese descent, his mother being of Algerian descent and Johnson himself being born in France. He did indicate in an interview that he would consider playing for Algeria. However, on 11 February 2009, Johnson made his debut for Benin in a friendly against Algeria.
On 5 January 2011, Johnson appeared in court charged with false imprisonment of a woman whilst at the house of an unnamed Blackburn Rovers player. Both Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth Argyle, his club at the time of the incident, claimed to have no knowledge of the incident until the court appearance.
The case was dropped due to lack of evidence at his return to court on 7 April 2011, with Johnson later talking of his innocence and relief that his name had been cleared.
He went on to win the PFA Player in the Community award in 2014.
- Sheffield Wednesday
- "Professional retain list & free transfers 2012/13" (PDF). The Football League. 18 May 2013. p. 24. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- "Réda Johnson". Plymouth Argyle. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Argyle sign Johnson". Plymouth Argyle. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Dons run rule over Johnson". STV. 18 July 2009. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "McGhee closes on Johnson signing". STV. 25 July 2009. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Plymouth snap up defender Johnson". BBC Sport. 29 July 2009. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Derby 2–1 Plymouth". BBC Sport. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Argyle defiant despite relegation". BBC Sport. 20 April 2010.
- "Colchester 1–1 Plymouth". BBC Sport. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Happy Réda". Plymouth Argyle. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Sheffield Wednesday sign Plymouth Argyle's Reda Johnson". BBC Sport. 4 January 2011. Retrieved 15 January 2011.
- "Sheff Wed 2–2 Charlton". BBC Sport. 15 January 2011. Retrieved 15 January 2011.
- "Reda Johnson: Coventry City sign Sheffield Wednesday defender". BBC Sport. 5 July 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Reda Johnson career stats at Soccerbase
- "Algeria 2, Benin 1" DZ Foot. Retrieved 1 November 2009.
- "Former Plymouth Argyle defender is accused of false imprisonment". The Herald. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
- "‘My relief’, says Sheffield Wednesday’s Reda Johnson after name is cleared". The Star. Retrieved 11 April 2011.
- "Championship: Sheffield Wednesday's Reda Johnson crowned PFA Player in the Community ". Sky Sports. Retrieved 28 March 2014.