April 28, 1984 |
Carora, Lara, Venezuela
|August 26, 2007 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through 2010 Season)
|Earned run average||4.04|
Rómulo Ignacio Sánchez Oviedo (born April 28, 1984) is a Venezuelan professional baseball pitcher who is currently with free agent. He has also pitched in Major League Baseball for the Pittsburgh Pirates and New York Yankees, and in Nippon Professional Baseball for the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles. He bats and throws right-handed.
He was released by the Dodgers on March 12, 2004, and was picked up by the Pittsburgh Pirates on May 7, 2004. He pitched in the Venezuelan League in 2004 for the Pirates. In 2005, he began to play in the Pirates minor league system beginning in rookie ball and ending the year in Double-A Altoona. In 2006, Sánchez played in two Single-A levels and also played Double-A ball.
Sánchez began the 2007 season with the Altoona Curve. When Salomón Torres went on the disabled list on August 25, 2007, for the big league club, Sánchez was called up. He had gone 6–3 with a 2.81 ERA in 40 relief appearances for the Curve. He made his Major League debut on August 26, 2007 for the Pirates against the Houston Astros, throwing two thirds of an inning. In parts of two seasons with the Pirates, he was 1-0 with a 4.60 ERA in 26 games.
New York Yankees
Sánchez was traded to the New York Yankees for Eric Hacker on May 16, 2009. Following the 2009 season, Sánchez was added to the 40-man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft. On May 7, 2010, the Yankees recalled Sánchez to the major leagues. He appeared in two games and worked four and one third innings without allowing a run.
Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles
Tampa Bay Rays
On January 19, 2012, Sanchez signed a minor league contract with the Tampa Bay Rays. He was assigned to Triple-A Durham before the season. On August 2, Sanchez was released by the Rays. He went 2-2 with a 6.31 ERA in 34 appearances with Durham.
Olmecas de Tabasco
Los Angeles Dodgers
He signed a minor league contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers in December 2013. He was released March 2014.
- "Seven added to 40-man roster | The Lohud Yankees Blog". Yankees.lhblogs.com. 2009-11-20. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "Pitcher Sanchez summoned by New York - Sports". The Times-Tribune. 2010-05-08. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- King, George A. (2011-03-28). "Pedro Feliciano will open season on DL for Yankees". NYPOST.com. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- "Japan could be the road back for Sanchez Paul Sokoloski Opinion | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton PA - Paul Sokoloski Column". Timesleader.com. 2011-04-01. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- Marc Topkin. "Tampa Bay Rays sign three with major-league experience to minor-league contracts - Tampa Bay Times". Tampabay.com. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- player profile on Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles official website