|Former municipality of Switzerland|
|Population||364 (December 2012)|
|- Density||59 /km2 (153 /sq mi)|
|Area||6.18 km2 (2.39 sq mi)|
|Elevation||616 m (2,021 ft)|
|Surrounded by||Betschwanden, Braunwald, Linthal|
Rüti is first mentioned about 1340.
Rüti has an area, as of 2006[update], of 6.2 km2 (2.4 sq mi). Of this area, 23.9% is used for agricultural purposes, while 57.3% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 4.9% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (13.9%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
Rüti is located in the Grosstal on the right side of the Linth river.
Rüti has a population (as of 31 December 2012) of 364. As of 2007[update], 12.1% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -31.4%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (75.7%), with Serbo-Croatian being second most common ( 8.1%) and Italian being third ( 4.1%).
The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Rüti about 55.1% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either University or a Fachhochschule).
Rüti has an unemployment rate of 1.86%. As of 2005[update], there were 21 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 8 businesses involved in this sector. 14 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 2 businesses in this sector. 11 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 6 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
- Rüti (GL) in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 14-Sep-2009
- Swiss Federal Statistics Office – STAT-TAB Ständige und Nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Region, Geschlecht, Nationalität und Alter (German) accessed 29 August 2013
- Canton Glarus population growth (German) accessed 9 September 2009
- "S-Bahn trains, buses and boats". ZVV. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Ziegelbrücke–Linthal". Bundesamt für Verkehr. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- Media related to Rüti GL at Wikimedia Commons