Russell runs the award-winning Tartarus Press with Rosalie Parker, and for many years compiled the Guide to First Edition Prices. As an author he has had three collections of short stories and a novella published. His story "Loup-garou" was chosen for Ellen Datlow’s The Best Horror of the Year. "In Hiding" was nominated for the 2010 World Fantasy Award, and "The Beautiful Room" for the 2011 British Fantasy Award. Michael Dirda has described Russell as "...among the leading practitioners of classic supernatural fiction".
He compiles the reference book, a Guide to First Edition Prices, which is now in its eighth edition and has been described as an extremely valuable book. The present edition gives the values of over 50,000 sought after books.
He contributes artwork to Tartarus Press titles, and a selection of his art was on display at the Link Gallery, Dean Clough, Halifax, 2010/11.
Russell is also a songwriter, having previously composed songs released by The Bollweevils. His first solo CD, Ghosts, was released by Klanggalerie in February 2012. The accompanying video presentation was premiered in Vienna in March 2012, and was subsequently shown at Dean Clough Galleries October 2012.
Guide to First Edition Prices
- Eight editions, Tartarus Press, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007 & 2010.
- Putting the Pieces in Place, Ex Occidente Press (Bucharest, Romania), 2009.
- Literary Remains, PS Publishing (Hornsea, East Yorkshire), 2010.
- Leave Your Sleep, PS Publishing (Hornsea, East Yorkshire), 2012.
- Bloody Baudelaire, Ex Occidente Press (Bucharest, Romania), 2009.
- The Dark Return of Time, Swan River Press (Dublin, Ireland), 2014.
- Ghosts, Swan River Press (Dublin, Ireland), 2012. (Contains Putting the Pieces in Place and Bloody Baudelaire. Available with Ghosts CD in a limited edition.)
- Ghosts, Klanggalerie (Austria), 2012.
- Bloody Baudelaire: A Soundtrack, Klanggalerie (Austria), 2014.
- "An Interview with R.B. Russell", by John Kenny, Swan River Press Interviews May, 2012.
- "An Interview with R.B. Russell", by Jason Rolfe, Bibliomancy Tuesday, 7 February 2012.
- "An Interview with Ray Russell", by Everett Bleiler, Fantasy Commentator, Winter 2001-2002, pps.97-100.
- "Uncollected Characters of the Book World: 5", by Victoria Hyde-Greene, Antiquarian Book Monthly, May 1999, pps8-9.
- Tartarus Press website
- isfdb entry
- Illustrations by Russell
- Discogs entry
- "Review" by Robert McCrum, Literary Editor, The Observer, 14/11/99
- World Fantasy Awards 2010
- British Fantasy Awards 2010
- Dirda's Reading Room, The Washington Post, May 2012
- IMDb entry
- Robert McCrum, Literary Editor, The Observer, 14/11/99: "An extremely valuable book..."[full citation needed]
- Rare Book Review, Feb/March 2006: "A 'must have' for your reference library."[full citation needed]
- Discogs entry for Talk To Me
- Ghosts page at Discogs
- Ghosts CD and videos launch
- What's On at Dean Clough
- Ellen Datlow, The Best Horror of the Year, Night Shade Books, 2010, p.21.
- Peter Bell, Supernatural Tales 18, Autumn 2010, pp3 82-83.
- Publishers Weekly, 25 August 2009.
- "A Bird Was Learning Its Song," by Adrian Tahourdin, Times Literary Supplement, 21 May 1999.
- Bloody Baudelaire: A Soundtrack page at Discogs