|Distributor(s)||Diamante Music Group, Light Distribution|
|Country of origin||United States|
R.E.X. Records was an independent record label founded by Doug Mann and Gavin Morkel, which operated from 1987 until running into financial difficulty in 1995. Operations were based in Chicago until 1990 when the company moved to Nashville. The label was artistic in nature, and though they were especially active in the Christian metal genre some acts (such as Circle of Dust) were also marketed to mainstream audiences. Sublabels included Storyville Records and Street Level Records, founded by Randy Stonehill.
In Christian markets their records were distributed by the Diamante Music Group until 1995 when they switched to Light Distribution (see Light Records), by then a division of Platinum Entertainment. In general markets they were distributed by RED. By 1996 R.E.X was experiencing layoffs and looking for a buyer. Platinum acquired the label in July 1996.
In 1997 R.E.X. sued Platinum for breach of contract, asserting that Platinum had not properly distributed their product and had misrepresented their financial position in the buyout.
For a short time R.E.X. provided distribution for Grrr Records. Employee Alex Parker left and began Flying Tart in 1990. Following the label's closure, founder Doug Mann took a position with ForeFront Records.
- List of record labels
- Tooth and Nail Records, successor to R.E.X. in the propagation of Christian metal and alternative music
- Seay, Davin (1995-04-29). "Gospel grunge & righteous rap: christian music alternatives make waves". Billboard Magazine 107 (17): 34.
- Akins, Debra (March 1996). "R.E.X. Future Uncertain". CCM Magazine 18 (9): 24. ISSN 1524-7848.
- Akins, Debra (1996-01-15). "R.E.X. Pursues Purchaser, Cuts Staff". CCM Update. OCLC 22937802.
- Darden, Bob (1994-08-13). "R.E.X. in deal with Light Distrib; pact covers Christian marketplace". Billboard Magazine 106 (33): 8.
- Warren, Lindy (1997-07-14). "R.E.X. Music Sues Platinum". CCM Update. OCLC 22937802.
- Brown, Bruce A. (February 1994). "R.E.X. Begins to Distribute for Grrr Records". CCM Magazine 16 (8): 12. ISSN 1524-7848.
- "ForeFront Restructures Marketing Department". CBA Marketplace 30 (7): 33. July 1997. ISSN 1092-7239. OCLC 36184061.