R.J. Corman Railroad Group
|Founder(s)||Richard J. Corman|
|Headquarters||Nicholasville, Kentucky, United States|
|Area served||United States|
|Key people||Craig King (President)|
Track construction and maintenance
|Revenue||US$ 300 million (FY 2011)|
R.J. Corman Railroad Group, LLC is a privately held railroad holding company. It was owned by Richard J. Corman, who established the company in 1973, and ran it until his death on August 23, 2013. The company offers railroad services, as well as aviation and warehousing services throughout the United States. The company owns short-line railroad lines in seven states (Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and West Virginia).
R.J. Corman Railroad Group was founded in 1973 by Richard J. Corman. R.J. Corman's passenger train depot was built in 1860, and is located in Bardstown, Kentucky. By 1953, the depot shut down due to the end of the passenger train era. In 1992, the depot was refurnished for the R.J. Corman dinner trains and reopened, and once again serves many passenger trains each year. Some of R.J. Corman's lines have undergone major rehabilitation with the help of local and state governments. R.J. Corman began its operations on the original lines in Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania in 1987, and acquired/rehabilitated many lines in the 1990s. They've reopened many Railbanked lines, and in Pennsylvania, they began an attempt in 2008 to reopen a fully abandoned non-railbanked corridor, though no decision has yet been made. It is to serve a new industrial park, landfill, and quarry. R.J. Corman Railroad Group announced on June 18, 2009, that it had acquired the assets of Railpower Technologies Corp, and its U.S. subsidiary, Railpower Hybrid Technologies.
R.J. Corman operates the following subsidiaries:
- R.J. Corman Railroad/Allentown Lines (Pennsylvania)
- R.J. Corman Railroad/Bardstown Line (Kentucky)
- R.J. Corman Railroad/Central Kentucky Lines (Kentucky)
- R.J. Corman Railroad/Cleveland Line (Ohio)
- R.J. Corman Railroad/Memphis Line (Kentucky and Tennessee)
- R.J. Corman Railroad/Pennsylvania Lines (Pennsylvania)
- R.J. Corman Railroad/Tennessee Terminal (Mississippi and Tennessee)
- R.J. Corman Railroad/Western Ohio Line (Indiana and Ohio)
- R.J. Corman Railroad/West Virginia Line (West Virginia)
Services and operations
In addition to operating rail lines, R.J. Corman has offered services to the rail industry including construction and maintenance, derailment services & cleanup across the United States, distribution centers, and train loading facilities, as well as aviation services including aircraft maintenance, including its own private airport, Lucas Field, at its headquarters in Nicholasville, Kentucky. R.J. Corman also operates The My Old Kentucky Dinner Train which includes a monthly murder mystery train, as well as special holiday trains such as the North Pole Express, a Christmas themed train and the Wizard express, a Halloween themed train, which are geared more towards young kids. This passenger train operate on the Bardstown Line in Kentucky.
R.J. Corman Group provides FAA certified aircraft maintenance and repair from three locations. They also operate two planes, and two helicopters. The aviation division is based at the companies private airport, Lucas Field.
Track Construction and Maintenance
R.J. Corman Railroad Group builds, operates and maintains train track. The company also operates shortlines, servicing factories, plants, etc.
R. J. Corman Railpower Locomotives
R. J. Corman Railpower Locomotives division offers Railpower GenSet Locomotives. They are low to medium horsepower locomotives that serve both yard and switching functions.
- "The ballad of Richard Jay Corman". Fortune Magazine.
- "STB Finance Docket No. 35116: R.J. Corman Railroad Company/Pennsylvania Lines Inc. - Construction and Operation Exemption--In Clearfield County, PA". United States Surface Transportation Board. July 31, 2009.
- United States Surface Transportation Board (July 31, 2009). "Construction and Operation Exemption: R.J. Corman Railroad Company/Pennsylvania Lines Inc., Clearfield County, PA". vlex.
- "RJ Corman Railroad Group acquires Railpower Corporation assets". Retrieved June 25, 2009.
- R.J. Corman Railroad Group. "Shortline Operations".
- Surface Transportation Board, Finance Docket No. 34775, February 3, 2006
- RJ Corman Official Website, May 27, 2009