R.V. College of Engineering
|Rashtreeya Vidyalaya College of Engineering|
|Motto||Sanskrit: Prajvalitō Jnānamaya Pradïpah|
Motto in English
|Light the lamp of Knowledge|
|Principal||Prof. B.S Sathyanarayana.|
|Location||Bangalore, Karnataka, India
|Campus||Urban, 76 acres (310,000 m2), 12.3 km from Bangalore city on Mysore Road.|
|Accreditation||AICTE, NBA, COA|
|Sports||University level Cricket, Association Football, Badminton, Basketball|
Rashtreeya Vidyalaya College of Engineering (R.V. College of Engineering or RVCE) is a private technical co-educational college located in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. Established in 1963, RVCE has 11 departments in engineering, one school of architecture, and a Master of Computer Applications department. It is affiliated to the Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. The undergraduate courses are granted academic autonomy by the university. RVCE is accredited by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), all its departments are accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA), and its school of Architecture is accredited by the Council of Architecture (COA). It was founded, and is managed by the Rashtreeya Sikshana Samiti Trust in Bangalore. It has been recognised as a centre of excellence by the Union Government of India and is considered as the most preferred college in Bangalore to study engineering.
The college has twinning programs and collaborations with many institutions across the world, as well as collaborations with the industry. The annual festival of the college is called 8th Mile, and each of the departments host their own festivals.
The students of RVCE operate many student projects, most notable being the ones supported by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), and the ones which participate in the competitions conducted by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Organization and administration
- 4 Academic profile
- 5 Student activities
- 6 Student projects
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The Rashtreeya Sikshana Samithi Trust (RSST) in Jayanagar, Bangalore, which manages the college was founded (as Rashtreeya Sikshana Samiti) in 1940 by Sivananda Sarma. It was formed as a trust in 1964. RSST currently operates over 25 institutions, educating over 15000 students. Sivananda Sarma and Meda Kasturiranga Setty of RSST were responsible for the setting up of RVCE in 1963. The college initially offered degrees in three disciplines: mechanical engineering, civil engineering and electrical engineering, and it operated from the R.V. Teacher's college campus in Jayanagar.
RVCE is spread over 53 acres (21 ha) on the banks of the Vrishabhavati River in Bangalore, located on the Mysore Road, in between Bangalore University gate and Kengeri. The nearest commuter railway station is the Kengeri railway station. The campus has a building for each undergraduate department, with the exception of the Biotechnology, Information Science, Instrumentation Technology and Master of Computer Applications departments, which are housed in a single building.
The college has a post office with postal identification as R.V. Vidyaniketan P.O, and a bank operated by ING on its campus. The canteen serves North Indian, South Indian and Chinese vegetarian cuisine. RVCE offers internet connectivity at its browsing center, with copier facilities nearby on campus. The college also operates a health center.
The library of the college was set up in 1963, and was moved to a dedicated block in 1989. All the books are bar coded, and the books are managed using a smart card system. The total book count of the library is 70991, and the number of Journal volumes and conference proceedings together totals to 2699.
RVCE has 4 hostels on campus, namely the Cauvery Hostel for first year students, the Diamond Jubilee Block hostel for the second year students, the Chamundi Block for the third year students, and the Sir. M. Visvesvaraya Block for the fourth year students. The hostels on campus are completely meant for boys. The college, along with the managing trust (RSST) operates 4 other hostels in Bangalore located in Jayanagar, J.P. Nagar, and Rajarajeshwari Nagar meant exclusively for the girls.
Three rainwater harvesting systems sponsored by the KPMG foundation have been installed around the campus, the construction of which was supervised by the department of civil engineering. Both the harvesting systems make use of a rooftop collection method, and a sump, and the stored water is typically used for drinking purposes. 3000 sq metres of rooftop area is utilised, and around 1.7 million litres of water is collected annually.
Organization and administration
Higher level administration
The college is managed at the top level by a governing body consisting of 5 members from the managing trust (RSST), 2 teachers of the college, 1 educationalist or industrialist, 1 University Grants Commission member, 1 AICTE nominee, 1 state government nominee, 1 university nominee, and the principal.
Lower level administration
The daily affairs of the college are managed by the principal, in consultation with the advisor and the vice-principal. Student welfare, and academics in general is headed by the respective deans; examinations by the controller of examinations; administration by the director of administration, while each of the academic departments, as well as research and placement departments are headed by the respective heads of departments.
Industry collaborations and MoUs
The college has industry collaborations and Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) with companies and universities. The college has tied up with universities in India, the United States, Germany, South Korea and Singapore. The college has twinning programs with many institutions including Konyang University, South Korea University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, West Virginia University, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Lamar University, all in the United States; Aachen University and University of Muenster in Germany; ISMANS, France; University of Sydney and University of Wollongong, both in Australia. The college also has ties with the Kuvempu University, Shimoga; and Mangalore University.
In 2007, RVCE signed a MoU with the company Cognizant Technology Solutions to strengthen industry–academia partnership. In October 2009, Pace Embedded Systems opened an Embedded Systems lab at RVCE to train the students in Digital Television and Embedded Systems. The college also has industrial interactions with companies like ABB, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP), DELL, WIPRO, Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) and the Indian Railways.
The college offers placement on campus for its students.
All the engineering departments and the school of architecture are accredited by the AICTE and the NBA. All the undergraduate courses are autonomous under the university, which gives the departments freedom to set their own academic system.
Students are admitted to undergraduate courses on basis of their merit in the Karnataka CET test, or in the COMED-K undergraduate test. Students are also admitted through a management quota, which places no merit requirement; students are directly admitted to a course upon the orders of the college management (in this case, the managing trust). There is a lateral entry scheme in place, by which students holding diploma degrees can enter directly to the second year of study in engineering. Students, upon graduating, receive a Bachelor of Engineering or a Bachelor of Architecture degree. The total undergraduate strength allotted to the college is 3160.
Students are admitted to postgraduate courses on basis of their GATE test scores, as well as on their Post Graduate Karnataka CET scores. Students, upon graduating receive a Master of Technology, Master of Computer Applications or a Master of Architecture degree. The total postgraduate strength allotted to the college is 616.
Course content and Grading
All the courses which have been conferred autonomous status have their departments set their own course content and grading system. The college follows the credit–based system of performance evaluation, with proportional weighting of courses based on their importance. The total marks (usually out of 100) form the basis of grades, with a grade value (out of 10) assigned to a range of marks. For each semester, the students are graded by taking a weighted average of all the subject grades with their respective credit points. Each semester's evaluation is done independently with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) reflecting the overall performance across semesters. Initially in 2007, the college used to follow a relative grading system, but later on switched to an absolute grading system. The medium of instruction is English.
|Engineering – India|
RVCE has been recognised as a centre of excellence by the Union Government of India. In 2008, the college had the highest number of gold medal winners among colleges affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University, a gold medal being awarded to the highest ranked student for a given discipline. The college's undergraduate course in mechanical engineering is the state's first degree course in a private institution to be accredited by the National Board of Accreditation.
The college has been ranked 33 in Outlook India 's Top Engineering Colleges of 2012., and 22nd in the country in rankings by The Week in 2013. In rankings limited to private colleges it was ranked 7 by Mint 's Top 50 Private Engineering Colleges of 2009. It has been ranked 24 in India Today 's Top 25 Engineering Colleges of 2014.,
Departments and courses
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science And Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical And Electronics Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and Management
- Information Science Engineering
- Instrumentation Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Telecommunication Engineering
- The R.V. College of Architecture (RVCA) offers a 5-year course in architecture, which is accredited by the Council of Architecture (COA).
Postgraduate courses offered by the college are not autonomous, and they remain fully under the ambit of the university.
- The Master of Computer Applications department offers a postgraduate course in Computer Applications.
- The Master of Technology course offered by departments of Computer Science, Electronics and Communication and Mechanical Engineering.
- The School of Architecture offers a program in Master of Architecture, accredited by the COA.
Cricket and Football are widely played across the college campus. The college has a cricket team, which has won major competitions like the Chamaraju Memorial intercollegiate tournament. The college's football team was victorious in tournaments like the VTU South Zone football tournaments. The women's Basketball team wins in intra University tournaments, as well as other tournaments. The college Badminton team frequently wins in university level tournaments. The college tennis team has won the VTU intercollegiate tournament.
Literary and language awareness
The Debating Society (DebSoc), of RVCE has 60 members, and takes part in tournaments across the world, with success at tournaments such as the All Asians Intervarsity Tournament. Members of the club participated in the 13th All Asian Debate Championship in Langkawi, Malaysia and won the "Best New Team Award" in the 12th All Asian Debate Championship. The society also participates in inter varsity competitions held by Oxford University and Cambridge University. The society also won the 2011 Asian British Parliamentary Debate held at Dhaka, Bangladesh. Kannada Sangha is the club dedicated to spreading Kannada language and cultural awareness. The club conducts Kannada classes and holds a cultural fest every year.
8th Mile is the main annual techno cultural festival of the college, with intercollegiate competitions.  RV Quizcorp, the quiz club of RVCE conducts India's largest national level college and corporate quiz festival Under the Peepal Tree each year. The Science Forum of the college, consisting of first year students conducts Genesis, the intercollegiate festival. Apart from this, each department conducts its own festivals, some of them being Vidyut(Department of Electrical and Electronics), Helix(Department of Biotechnology), Iota(Department of Computer Science), Infinity (Department of Information Science and Engineering), Impulse (Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering), Vortex (Department of Mechanical Engineering), Vantage (Department of Instrumentation Technology), Exceptions (Department of Master of Computer Applications) and Connect (Department of Telecommunication Engineering). All of these are intercollegiate technical and cultural festivals.
The Kannada Sangha conducts a cultural festival every year. This fest has come under fire by the media and some officials because the organizers brought an elephant into the college campus; an act, which is supposedly illegal, even with requisite permission by the government.
The Rotaract Club of RVCE is affiliated to Rotary International District 3190. The National Service Scheme of India (NSS) has a unit in the college, which organises blood donation camps. The National Cadet Corps of India (NCC) has a unit in the college.
Ashwa, a formula racing car, conceptualized, fabricated and raced by a group of students.The Car was declared Second in the" Most Cost Effective and Efficiently Manufactured Category" in Italy 2012. The car won the "Best Endeavour" award in the Formula SAE (FSAE) event in Italy 2009. The car won the "Best Car from South Asia" award in the Formula SAE (FSAE) event in Germany. The team was also the first Indian team to compete in the FSAE event in 2005 in Australia, which won the "Best Value for Money" and "Best Endeavour" award. The project team has been awarded the "Young Achiever 2007" award, an award instituted by the Rotary Midtown and the Brigade Group.
An All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) that can travel on muddy swamps and climb up hills was designed by a group of students from the Mechanical engineering department. The vehicle entered the Baja SAE contest in Pretoria in October 2006.
Team Vyoma, a student group designs and manufactures UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) to participate in Aerodesign competitions conducted by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) in Marietta, GA; and in Brazil. The team is the first Asian team to compete in the Aerodesign competitions. They won NASA Systems Engineering Award in 2013, beating out 75 international teams.
A team of students of RVCE, along with students from some other colleges in the country and the Indian Space Research Organisation, teamed up to make the first pico satellite in India, called StudSat. The pico satellite was launched by the PSLV C-15 on 12 June 2010 from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota. The camera on board has a low resolution of 90 metres. The panchromatic images are designed to provide terrain information during the satellite's short lifespan of six months to one year.
Team Jatayu, a student group, designs and manufactures UAVs to participate in the SUAS competitions conducted by the AUVSI Foundation in Maryland, USA.
Garuda, a fuel efficient, aerodynamic car, was designed by the Mechanical engineering students. The car reportedly gives a mileage of 180 kilometres per litre of fuel. Project Garuda members were the only team from India to participate in the Shell Eco Marathon held at the Rockingham Motor Speedway, Corby, United Kingdom. Project Garuda was awarded the "Most Persevering Team" award, which is given to the best first time participant every year.
In June 2008, students developed a prototype of a hybrid electric vehicle that uses both electric energy and diesel mixed with biodiesel. According to The Hindu, this is the first indigenous hybrid electric prototype in the country and among very few prototypes to use biodiesel. The project, named "Chimera", was conceived and the prototype developed by the final year students of four engineering disciplines–Mechanical engineering, Electrical engineering, Computer science and Industrial engineering. In 2011, The team was the only Indian entry in the Michelin Challenge Bibendum held in Berlin.
Anil Kumble, former captain of the Indian Test Cricket Team and winner of Arjuna Award in 1995 and Padma Shri Award in 2005 graduated from RVCE with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Another alumnus of the college is Table tennis player Chetan Baboor, who represented India in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. Komatireddy Venkat Reddy and P.G.R. Scindia, politicians from Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka respectively, are alumni of the college. Bollywood actors Shiney Ahuja and Rahul Dev; Ashok Nayak, chairman of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited and noted Kannada singer Nanditha also call the college their alma mater.
- List of Indian engineering college rankings
- List of colleges affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University
- Charan, Sahana (16 August 2004). "Quality is the motto". The Hindu. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Principal profile". RVCE, Bangalore. 5 August 2009. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "R.V. College of Engineering". The World Bank. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- "Technology Institutions". Rashtreeya Sikshana Samithi Trust. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "About Us". Rashtreeya Sikshana Samiti Trust. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "About RVCE". R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore. 5 August 2009. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Mandatory disclosures". All India Council for Technical Education. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- "Pincode search". India Post. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- "List of Branches". ING Vysya Bank. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- Spandana. Bangalore: Literary board, RVCE. 2010.
- "Amenities in RVCE". R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Library and Information center". RVCE, Bangalore. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "Water conservation through rainwater harvesting". Clean India Journal. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- "Mandatory Disclosure (Page 474)". All India Council for Technical Education. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- Satyamurty, K (25 April 2002). "RVCE pact with University of South Korea". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Newsletter". Association of Kannada Kootas of America (AKKA). Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Profile of School of Architecture, RVCE". RVCE, Bangalore. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Collaborations". R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore. 5 August 2009. Retrieved 20 January 2011.
- "Kuvempu offers PG course in nanoscience". The Hindu. 21 April 2008. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Special science courses". The Hindu. 12 November 2007. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "RVCE, Cognizant enter into MoU". The Hindu. 28 June 2007. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Pace India sets up Pace Embedded Systems Lab at R.V. College of Engineering". The Financial Express. 14 October 2009. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Pace India Sets Up Pace Embedded Systems Lab at R.V. College of Engineering". Business Wire, India. 14 October 2009. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Consolidated list of Recruiters". RVCE, Bangalore. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Departments". RVCE, Bangalore. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
- "VTU Circular". Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. 5 August 2009. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- CET 2010 Bulletin, Status of Engineering Seats, Karnataka Examinations Authority, Government of Karnataka, p.1-5
- "PGCET Seat Matrix". Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. 5 August 2009. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- RVCE Brochure, Year 2010, p.1-28
- Balakrishna, Shruti (15 December 2008). "City colleges slowly switching to grading system". The Times of India. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- "Top 50 Private Engineering Colleges of 2009" (PDF). Mint. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- Staff Correspondent (11 March 2008). "RVCE students bag highest number of gold medals". The Hindu. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "VTU announces list of gold medalists". The Times of India Hubli. 2 January 2010. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "AICTE accreditation for 'flagship programme' in RVCE". The Hindu. 3 August 2000. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Top Engineering Colleges". Outlook India. 25 June 2012.
- "The Week-Hansa Research Survey - Engineering Colleges 2013". The Week. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- "India's top engineering colleges 2014 -". India Today. 11 June 2014. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "Programs offered". RVCE, Bangalore. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "STATUS WITH INTAKE OF ARCHITECTURAL INSTITUTIONS IN INDIA AS ON SEPTEMBER 27, 2011". Council of Architecture, India. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- "Circular". Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "RVCE posts win". The Hindu. 22 April 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "RVCE clinches title". The Hindu. 5 March 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "MSRIT, RVCE win titles". The Hindu. 25 October 2009. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Double for RVCE". The Hindu. 30 March 2006. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Results and Photo of RVCE TENNIS TEAM". Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Good show by RVCE team in debate contest". The Hindu. 30 May 2006. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "City college signs MoU with 29 Finnish varsities". The Hindu. 20 November 2006. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "NSU Asian BP 2011 Results!". 12 December 2011.
- Venekatraman, Padma (26 October 2009). "Taste the local flavour". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 November 2009.
- "8th Mile". RVCE, Bangalore. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Glimpses of 8th Mile – Techno Cultural Extravaganza". RVCE, Bangalore.
- "A bigger 'Peepal Tree'". The Hindu. 2 March 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "The Quiz Corp of R.V.C.E".
- "Indulging in a creative experiment". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "RVCE fest from May 1". The Hindu. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Conference". Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, RVCE. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Vantage 2011". Department of Instrumentation Technology, RVCE. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Exceptions 2011". Master of Computer Applications Department, RVCE. Retrieved 30 September 2011.[dead link]
- Kaggere, Niranjan (26 November 2011). "Home Minister made Jumbo arrangement for Son's college". Bangalore Mirror.
- "Glimpses of Kannda Sangha Programs".
- "District 3190". Rotaract club of RVCE. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- Italy, Formula Student. "FS ATA Cost & Manufacturing Event 2012".
- Italy, FS. "FS ATA Best Endeavour Award 2009".
- "Racing on life's highway: Students build race car from scratch". MeriNews. 20 November 2007. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- Herald, Deccan. "Inventive Mode "At their innovative best" 2009". Deccan Herald.
- "Campus capsule". The Hindu. 5 November 2007. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "RVCE students design all-terrain vehicle". The Hindu. 9 October 2006. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Bangalore team for aerodesign competition in Brazil". Deccan Herald. Oct 14, 2009. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Flying High on Innovation". The Hindu. 12 May 2008. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- teams, Project Vyoma. "RV College of Engineering students bag Nasa award".
- "Welcome Studsat". The Hindu. 22 July 2010. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "PSLV countdown progressing smoothly". The Hindu. 11 July 2010. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- Boruah, Maitreyee (13 July 2010). "When students became studs". DNA India. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Garuda, the car that runs 180 km per litre!". Rediff news. 6 August 2008. Retrieved 19 November 2009.
- "RVCE Students' Garuda, a Super-mileage Car". Techtree news. 6 August 2008. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "RVCE team rocks UK motor event". The Times of India. 25 July 2009. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Now, a water-powered auto rickshaw". Rediff.com. 29 July 2009. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "An enriching experience for students". The Hindu. 16 June 2011. Retrieved 19 September 2011.
- "RVCE students develop hybrid e-vehicle prototype". Business Standard. 10 June 2008. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Flight of the Condor". Outlook India. 22 February 1999. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- "Alumni". Alumni Association of R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore, India. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to R.V. College of Engineering.|