R. A. Montgomery
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010)|
|R. A. Montgomery|
|Born||March 9, 1936
Greenwich, Connecticut, U.S.
|Died||November 9, 2014
Warren, Vermont, U.S.
|Other names||R.A. Montgomery|
|Alma mater||Yale University, New York University|
|Known for||Choose Your Own Adventure|
|Partner(s)||Shannon Gilligan, Constance Cappel|
Early and personal life
Montgomery was born in Greenwich, Connecticut on March 9, 1936. Montgomery graduated from Williams College and attended graduate school at Yale University and New York University (NYU). On November 9, 2014, Montgomery died at his home in Warren, Vermont.
Montgomery was an author who contributed many books to the Choose Your Own Adventure series, created in the late 1970s. Working from a book manuscript written by Edward Packard. He and his former wife, Constance Cappel, published four books at Vermont Crossroads Press that would later be included in the Bantam "Choose" series (The Cave of Time, Journey Under the Sea, By Balloon to the Sahara, and Space and Beyond). Montgomery penned more than 50 books for this series and its various offspring, including books in a series for younger readers.
The Choose Your Own Adventure series published 184 titles through Bantam Books between 1979 and 1998, including many by Montgomery himself and several by his sons Ramsey and Anson. It was one of the most popular children's series of all time, with over 250 million books in print. Since its original publication, the series has been popular with both reluctant and advanced readers. It has also been used in classrooms from elementary school to college. At the advent of the Internet age, the series was used frequently in curricula focused on explaining the interactivity of the world wide web to young children.
Montgomery and partner Shannon Gilligan reissued some books of the initial "Choose" series through Chooseco LLC, in Waitsfield, Vermont. The re-release was featured in the LA Times and Newsweek magazine, and an electronic version of the first book in the relaunch, The Abominable Snowman, was available as an interactive download for iPod. He rewrote a 450-page draft of a novel about modern-day China. Montgomery said that he wanted to travel and encourage culturally distinct Choose Your Own Adventure books from writers and illustrators in all parts of the world.
- A six book non-interactive series for young adult readers entitled Trio
- A CD-ROM, Beyond the Wall of Stars
- Reading Is Fundamental | Reading Planet | Book Zone | Meet the Authors and Illustrators
- "Authors : Montgomery, R A : SFE : Science Fiction Encyclopedia". The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction. 16 November 2014. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "R. A. Montgomery - Summary Bibliography". Internet Speculative Fiction Database. 2014. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- (June 17, 1962) Constance Cappell Is Married To Raymond Montgomery Jr., The New York Times
- "‘Choose Your Own Adventure’ author R.A. Montgomery dies". torontosun.com. November 14, 2014.