R. D. Reynolds
|Pen name||RD Reynolds
Real Deal Reynolds
|Subjects||Professional wrestling, Professional wrestling gimmicks|
Randy Baer, better known by his ring and pen name RD (Real Deal) Reynolds is a former professional wrestling manager and is also the co-creator of the professional wrestling website WrestleCrap, with Merle Vincent (who died in September 2000). He has also authored three books, WrestleCrap, The Death of WCW, co-authored with Bryan Alvarez, and The WrestleCrap Book of Lists!, co-authored with Blade Braxton. He has been called "the foremost authority on the worst of professional wrestling" by the Canadian Online Explorer. He is not to be confused with another author named "RD Reynolds" who authored a book on vitamin B6 in the mid-1980s.
Independent wrestling career
Baer's self-produced DVD The Worst of RD Reynolds chronicles his work in various independent wrestling promotions, most of which were in the Indianapolis area for promoters Jeff Cohen and "Diamond" Dan Garza; primarily Cohen's Championship Wrestling of America and NWA Indianapolis. Baer worked as an interviewer, commentator, manager, and booker, meaning that he wrote storylines and set up matches. Occasionally, he performed in professional wrestling matches, some of which had special stipulations. When he became a heel manager, he was forced to adopt the ring name RD Reynolds due to wrestling fans leaving him angry messages on his answering machine.
Baer once appeared in Ohio Valley Wrestling, a former developmental territory of World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), managing Mark Henry in a match against The Big Show. Show chokeslammed Reynolds during the course of the match and significantly injured him. Later, RD himself took responsibility, citing his own inexperience and lack of training as the reasons for the injury.
Baer holds a degree in broadcast journalism and sociology. In 2000, Baer and Merle Vincent launched the website WrestleCrap, which features wrestling-related articles, primarily focusing on moments in wrestling which Baer and contributors perceive to be the worst. Since the launch of the website, Baer has written three wrestling-related books. In his first book, WrestleCrap, Baer chronicles the characters and storylines from WWE and World Championship Wrestling which he perceives to the very worst. It features an introduction by John Tenta. Reynolds also co-authored The Death of WCW, with wrestling journalist Bryan Alvarez. The book received a positive review from Jon Waldman of SLAM! Wrestling. His latest book, The WrestleCrap Book of Lists!, written with Blade Braxton, was released in November 2007. He is a featured columnist for British pro wrestling and MMA magazine FIGHTING SPIRIT. He has also been interviewed as an expert on wrestling gimmicks.
In April 2007, RD was the victim of an internet hoax, with various people and websites claiming that he had died from heart failure and his neighbors found him in his bathtub. In the end, RD returned, alive and well, on an episode of WrestleCrap Radio, revealing that he had never died...and didn't even know he was sick.
- "The Real Deal" Randy Baer
- RD Reynolds
Championships and accomplishments
- Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
- WrestleCrap: The Very Worst of Pro Wrestling (2003)
- The Death of WCW (2004) (with Bryan Alvarez)
- The WrestleCrap Book of Lists! (2007) (with Blade Braxton)
- Baer, Randy; R.D. Reynolds (2003). WrestleCrap: The Very Worst of Pro Wrestling. ECW Press. p. 6. ISBN 1-55022-584-7.
- RD Reynolds listed as the co-creator of Wrestlecrap.com about 3/4ths down the page.
- Waldman, Jon (2004-02-02). "WrestleCrap author aims for laughs". SLAM! Wrestling. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- RD Reynolds listed as the author of "The Death of WCW" at ECW Press.com.
- Kapur, Bob (2007-12-18). "Plenty of laughs in WrestleCrap's Lists". SLAM! Wrestling. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- Cardno, James. "Interviews (2003): RD Reynolds". New Zealand Pro Wrestling Informer. Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- Furious, Arnold (December 2, 2007). "The Furious Flashbacks - The Worst of RD Reynolds". Video Reviews. 411mania.com. Retrieved March 14, 2011.
- Sokol, Chris (2005-03-21). "Baer proudly peddles WrestleCrap". SLAM! Wrestling. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- Bakon, Jun (2004). "R.D. Reynolds Interview". LethalWrestling.com. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- Clevett, Jason (2006-06-07). "John "Earthquake" Tenta dead". SLAM! Wrestling. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- Pro Wrestling Arena's Craptacular Interview with RD Reynolds.
- Waldman, Jon (2005-01-12). "WCW's demise makes for good read". SLAM! Wrestling. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- RD Reynolds listed as one of the contributors to Fighting Spirit Magazine.
- Kendall, Mark (2004-01-22). "The right persona can turn a no-name into a wrestling star". The Press-Enterprise. Retrieved 2010-08-15.