R. Geraint Gruffydd
Professor Emeritus R. Geraint Gruffydd (born 9 June 1928), MA DPhil DLitt FLSW FBA is a scholar of Welsh language and literature. He is a graduate of Bangor University and Jesus College, Oxford He commenced his studies at Oxford in 1948. During his academic career he held three notable offices:
- Chair of Welsh language and literature at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth (1970–1979)
- Librarian of the National Library of Wales (1980–1985)
- Director of the Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies (1985–1993)
Afer his academic retirement in 1993 he became President of the International Congress of Celtic Studies until 2003 and he also served as Vice-President of University of Wales, Aberystwyth. In 1999 he succeeded Professor J. E. Caerwyn Williams as Consultant Editor of Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru. He has written books and chapters on a wide range on subjects in all periods of Welsh literature, from his treatment of the earliest Welsh poetry through the work of the medieval poet, Dafydd ap Gwilym, and the Methodist hymn-writer, William Williams of Pantycelyn, to 20th-century writers such as Saunders Lewis.
He is also a Founding Fellow of the Learned Society of Wales.
- 'In that gentile country. . . ': The beginnings of Puritan nonconformity in Wales (1976)
- Revival and its Fruit (1981)
- (editor), Bardos (1982)
- Llenyddiaeth y Cymru: Cyflwyniad Darluniadol 2 (1989)
- William Morgan: Dyneiddiwr (Henry Lewis Memorial Lecture) (1989)
- Y Ffordd Gadarn: Ysgrifau ar Lên a Chrefydd, ed. E. Wyn James (2008)
A full bibliography of his publications to 1995 by Huw Walters is included in Beirdd a Thywysogion, ed. B. F. Roberts & M. E. Owen (1996)
As an editor of medieval Welsh poetry texts, he was general editor of the Cyfres Beirdd y Tywysogion series and has contributed to various volumes in that series and in the Cyfres Beirdd yr Uchelwyr series. These include:
- Gwaith Meilyr Brydydd a'i ddisgynyddion (1994)
- Gwaith Llywelyn Fardd I ac eraill o feirdd y Ddeuddegfed Ganrif (1995)
- Gwaith Dafydd Benfras ac eraill o feirdd hanner cyntaf y Drydedd Ganrif ar Ddeg (1995)
- Gwaith Bleddyn Fardd ac Eraill (1996)
- "Honours and Awards". The Jesus College Record: 58. 1992.
|Librarian of the National Library of Wales
Brynley F. Roberts