R. P. Patnaik
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
|R. P. Patnaik|
Patnaik had entered the film industry with a desire to become a film director, and began first as a music director. It was after cinematographer-turned-director Teja gave him a break, that Patnaik made his directorial debut with the 2008 film Andamaina Manasulo. As of March 2013 he was finishing his fourth Telugu language film Thulasidhalam.
Patnaik received the Filmfare Award three times consecutively... for the films Nuvvu Nenu, Santosham and Excuse Me, and apart from receiving the Andhrapradesh state Nandi Award for the film Nuvvu Nenu in 2001, he has won awards from different cultural organisations in and outside the state and country for his music.
His first ever live show for the public gathered about 600,000 people along the Vizag sea shore on 20 July 2002. Since then he has performed in The US, UK, Dubai, Kuwait, Singapore, Delhi, Chennai and every part of the Andhrapradesh. Some of his albums like Jayam have sold about 2.5 million units (CDs and Cassettes) just in one regional state.
As a singer apart from singing in his own composition he has sung for almost all the lead composers including Maestro Ilayaraja and has performed about 300 songs.
He composed an international album, first of its kind in the world, on time signatures called Chjakra the Signature of Time which he applied for prestigious Grammy Awards. He is a member of Grammy Academy now.
Apart from music he has acted in two films in Telugu named Seenu Vasanti Lakshmi in which he played a blind singer and got a very good applause for his outstanding performance and Broker in the title role.
Patnaik's first directed film was the experimental short 22 minutes, in which the entire 22-minute film is a single scene and edge-of-the-seat screenplay. The experiment is the characters which are seen don't speak and the characters which are heard not seen.
Following upon his work as a music composer and music director, Patnaik began directing films, and has directed 4 feature films till date. His first film is called Andamaina Manasulo a musical love story of a 13-year-old girl falling in love with a 21-year boy and with a message on how should be an ideal orphanage. His second released film in December 2010 was Broker, about political brokers, the film was shortlisted for final race in the National Awards. Both these released films had him receive two Nandi awards for Best Story Writer for the years 2008 and 2010.
He is also producing and directing a new film named Tulasa Dalam, for which he has composed 5 songs and is also acting.
- Andamaina Manasulo
- Broker (2010)
- Friends Book
- Amy (2013)
- Tulasi Dalam (2014)
- Vyuha (2014)
- Andamaina Manasulo as Doctor
- Seenu Vasanthi Lakshmi (2004) as Blind man
- Broker (2010) as Manin
- Tulasi Dalam (2014)
- Palaniyappa Kalluri
- Naan Aval Adhu
Awards and nominations
- 2001, Filmfare Best Music Director Award (Telugu) for Nuvvu Nenu
- 2002, Filmfare Best Music Director Award (Telugu) for Santosham
- 2003, Filmfare Award for Best Music Director (Kannada) for Excuse Me
- 2001, Nandi Award for Best Music Director for Nuvvu Nenu
- 2008, Nandi Award for Best Story Writer for Andamaina Manasulo
- 2010, Nandi Award for Best Story Writer for Broker
- Patnaik, Santosh (31 December 2007). "Delicacies, entertainment await ISC delegates". The Hindu (Chennai). p. 1.
- staff (16 February 2008). "Andamaina Manasulo Review". Oneindia. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- staff (8 September 2007). "RP Patnaik takes up direction". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Shekhar (11 March 2013). "Thulasidhalam is a horror-thriller: RP Patnaik". Oneindia. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "Composer Patnaik turns director with 'Andhamaina Manasulo and Broker'". The Hindustan Times (New Delhi). 9 September 2007.
- G, Jalapathy (14 August 2005). "22 Minutes (Short film) -Review". Telugucinema. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- staff (11 March 2013). "R P Patnaik's Tulasidalam". Sify. Retrieved 13 August 2013.