R. T. Nagar
Rabindranath Tagore Nagar or just R. T. Nagar is an area in Bangalore, India. It is situated in the northern part of the city. It is named after Rabindranath Tagore. It is part of the Bangalore North Lok Sabha Constituency and the Hebbal Assembly Constituency. R.T Nagar has two blocks, Block I and Block II.
Originally a tiny layout built by Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) in the 1970s and was surrounded by villages like Gangenhalli on the west, the military campus on the east, Matadahalli by south and parts of Hebbal village by north. But close proximity to other high profile areas like Sadashivnagar and Dollar's colony (SanjayNagar) led to rapid development of the RT Nagar. Also setting up of a Head post office on RT Nagar main road provided further impetus to the growth of RT Nagar.
Over the last few years RT Nagar has come to commonly represent many areas like MLA Layout, Gangenhalli (Ganganagar),Dinnur, SultanPalya, Kanakanagar,Manoranpalya and even Kavalabyrasandra simply because these areas fall under the RT Nagar head post office ( with Pin code 560032) jurisdiction. Even today a lot of businesses in these areas actually show "RT Nagar post" as an address line item.
Notable natives and residents
- S. R. Bommai - Chief Minister, Karnataka, August 1988 – April 1989
- Late R. Gundu Rao - Chief Minister, Karnataka, 1980 to 1983.His Son Dinesh Gundu Rao is a sitting MLA
- Dharam Singh - Chief Minister, Karnataka, 2003 to 2006.
- Veerappa Moily - Chief Minister, Karnataka, 1992-1994, Union Law Minister till recently, currently Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas
- D.B. Chandre Gowda Member of Parliament, Bangalore North Constituency
Major commercials hubs for businesses in RT Nagar are the RT Nagar Main Road (80 Ft road), Dinnur Main Road, SultanPalya Main Road and Ganganagar 5th Main (with a sizable number of Marwari shops). Most of the commercial activities of the area are centered around the 80 Ft Main road.
R.T.Nagar has many schools and Pre-university Colleges, affiliated to CBSE/ISCE and the Karnataka State Board. Educational institutions include:
- Modern Public English School
- Sri Rajiv Gandhi College of Dental Sciences
- Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology
- Kamala College of Nursing
- Sanjay Gandhi College of Education
- Florence Public School
- Mac Nay Doon's English School
- Adarsha Vidyalaya School
- Presidency School
- Navodaya Vidyaniketana
- St. Michael's School
- Vijaya Bharati Public School
- St. George's School
- Mamatha School
- Sri Vani School
- Newton Public School
- Adarsha Polytechnic
- R.T. Nagar Public School
- Mona Education Society
- Sidhartha School and College
- Kuppuaraju English school
- Sumangali Seva Ashram
- Hebbal Government School
- R.T Nagar Government High School
- Bright Kid Montessorie
- Kamala Girls High School
- Matha school, etc.
- "Schools in RT Nagar". Retrieved 9 February 2013.