- Not to be confused with RJ-45.
R2-45 is a Scientology auditing process created by L. Ron Hubbard. The process of R2-45 specifically pertains to shooting the target with a Colt M1911 pistol, causing the victim's "thetan" to leave the body (exteriorization). In 1952 during a meeting in Phoenix, Arizona, Hubbard demonstrated the process of R2-45 by firing a shot at the floor. In a lecture of 1958, Hubbard comments that "Death is not the same as clearing but there is, remember, R2-45. It's a very valid technique. A lot of people have used it before now." 
|“||R2-45: AN ENORMOUSLY EFFECTIVE PROCESS FOR EXTERIORIZATION BUT ITS USE IS FROWNED UPON BY THIS SOCIETY AT THIS TIME.||”|
While representatives of the Church of Scientology have publicly acknowledged that "Auditing Process R2-45" refers to "someone being killed and [their spirit] leaving the body", they insist that it was presented as a "jest" or "joke" by Hubbard." In the transcript for the lecture "Exteriorization", in which Hubbard refers in passing to R2-45, a footnote refers to the process as being "used humorously".
However, critics of Scientology have pointed out that Hubbard also used it in apparently non-humorous contexts. On March 6, 1968, Hubbard issued an internal memo titled "RACKET EXPOSED," in which he denounced twelve people (Peter Goodwin, Jim Stathis, Peter Knight, Mrs. Knight, Nora Goodwin, Ron Frost, Margaret Frost, Nina Collingwood, Freda Gaiman, Frank Manley, Mary Ann Taylor, and George Wateridge) as "Enemies of mankind, the planet and all life," and ordered that "Any Sea Org member contacting any of them is to use Auditing Process R2-45." Former Scientologist Bent Corydon wrote that in late 1967 at Saint Hill, he personally received a copy of an order naming four former Scientologists as enemies and "fair game" and ordering any Sea Org member who encountered them to use R2-45.
- Lamont, Stewart (1986). "1. L. Ron Hubbard: Guru, God or Demon?". Religion Inc. London: Harrap Ltd. p. 192. ISBN 0-245-54334-1.
- Robert Rawitch, Robert Gillette (1978-08-28). "Scientology Critics Assail Aggressiveness of Church". Los Angeles Times. See official online archive.
- Hubbard, L. Ron (1958-07-15). "AAC Procedure Outlined - E-meter TRs" (LECTURE).
- Hubbard, L. Ron (1954). The Creation of Human Ability. pg 120.
- "A Sci-Fi Faith". TIME. 1976-04-05. Retrieved 2007-01-01.
- Hubbard, L. Ron (1956-01-19). "Exteriorization" (LECTURE TRANSCRIPT).
- Wallis, Roy (1976). The Road to Total Freedom. New York: Columbia University Press. ISBN 0-231-04200-0.
- L. Ron Hubbard (1968-03-06). "HCO ETHICS ORDER". No. 30 INT. Advanced Organisation Yacht Royal Scotman, via U.S. Dist. Court. S.D. of N.Y. Retrieved 2006-06-07.
- "Racket Exposed", The Auditor, issue 37, 1968. Excerpt
- Bent Corydon; L. Ron Hubbard, Jr. (1987). L. Ron Hubbard: Messiah or Madman?. Secaucus, New Jersey: Lyle Stuart. ISBN 0-8184-0444-2. Convenience link at http://www.clambake.org/archive/books/mom/Messiah_or_Madman.txt .
- Auditing Process R2-45: Did Hubbard order murders? at Xenu-Directory, a Scientology Critical Information Directory.