R402 road (Ireland)
Approaching Johnstown Bridge from the west
|Length:||45 km (28 mi)|
The official description of the R402 from the Roads Act 1993 (Classification of Regional Roads) Order 2012  reads:
- R402: Innfield, County Meath — Ballina Cross, County Offaly
- Between its junction with M4 at Newcastle in the county of Meath and its junction with R420 at Ballina Cross in the county of Offaly via Johnstown Bridge at the boundary between the county of Meath and the county Kildare: Ballynamullagh, Newbury Cross and Carbury in the county of Kildare: Kishawanny Bridge at the boundary between the county of Kildare and the county of Offaly: Coneyburrow Street, Father Kearns Street, J.K.L. Street and Saint Marys Street in the town of Edenderry; Killane Cross, Rathmore, Ballyfore Big, Eskermore, Ballycon, Killoneen; Main Street at Daingean; Clonad and Ballinagar in the county of Offaly.
The R402 is 45 kilometres (28 mi) long ().
Kildare County Council announced the award of a road building contract on 2 March 2012 for the R402 Enfield to Edenderry Improvement Scheme covering about 11 kilometres of the R402 and costing approximately €36.5 million for a two-year project. Carbury village will likely be bypassed by this new route. The scheme was originally expected to be completed in 2013 but the improvements will not be completed until 2014. Farmers with land along the route refused to allow road workers and county council officials to enter their lands in May 2008 because Kildare County Council had issued compulsory purchase orders without any prior consultation with the owners. The farmers declared that they would not allow work to proceed on their lands until procedures and a timetable for the purchase of the lands had been agreed.
- Roads Act 1993 (Classification of Regional Roads) Order 2006 – Department of Transport
- S.I. No. 54/2012 — Roads Act 1993 (Classification of Regional Roads) Order 2012 Irish Statute Book. 2012-02-28.
- R402 - Enfield to Edenderry Road Improvement Scheme (press release), Kildare County Council, 2012-03-02.
- R402 Enfield to Edenderry Road Improvement Scheme – www.etenders.gov.ie
- Edenderry-Enfield road gets go ahead Offaly Express, 2012-01-20.
- O'Dea, Grace (2010-04-14), "2013 target set for R402 completion", Offaly Express (Tullamore, County Offaly)
- Furious farmers refuse council access to land after road dispute Irish Independent, 2008-05-27.