||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: typos, tone. (January 2015)|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genres||Pop rock, pop, alternative rock, punk pop|
|Associated acts||The Vamps|
R5 is an American pop rock band formed in Los Angeles, California, in 2009. The band consists of Ross Lynch, Riker Lynch, Rocky Lynch, Rydel Lynch and Ellington Ratliff. They got the name R5 because all of their names begin with the letter 'R', except for Ellington, whose last name is Ratliff. He is most commonly known as Ratliff to stick with the 'R' theme. Ellington met the Lynches at a dance school in Los Angeles in 2009.
In March 2010, they self-released an EP, Ready Set Rock, and in September released their debut studio album with Hollywood Records. The second EP, Loud, was released on February 19, 2013, which featured the lead single and title track "Loud", the debut single from upcoming album. The band's first full-length album, Louder, was released on September 24, 2013 and the album not only includes the four songs from Loud and also seven new songs. The second single from the album, "Pass Me By", premiered on Radio Disney on August 16. The music video premiered on 29 August on Disney Channel and is available for public viewing on the band's Vevo channel. The third single, "(I Can't) Forget About You", was released on December 25, 2013 and reached number 47 on Billboard Digital Pop Songs, and the fourth single "One Last Dance" on May 29, 2014.
The third extended play, entitled Heart Made Up on You, was released on July 22, 2014 and the self-titled single on August 1, 2014. In order to promote the EP, they made a South American tour and an autograph session in Buenos Aires, Argentina On November 16, 2014 the band released the first single from second album, "Smile". On February 16, 2015 the band released the second single "Let's Not Be Alone Tonight" from their second studio album.
2009–11: Formation and Ready Set Rock
R5 is made up of a group of siblings born and raised in Littleton, Colorado,brothers Riker Lynch, Rocky Lynch, Ross Lynch, sister Rydel Lynch and another brother who is not in the band, Ryland Lynch. While living in Colorado, the Lynch children went to a performing arts school. They wore make up and put on shows for their family and charged them at least a dollar to watch them perform in their basement at a young age, as young as four or five. In 2008, Riker, at 16, decided that he wanted to move to L.A. to pursue an acting career. To accommodate, their parents, Stormie and Mark Lynch, moved the whole family to L.A. so that they could stay together. Opportunity after opportunity arose, and the siblings began their debuts on commercials. Rocky began teaching himself guitar via YouTube and taught Ross and Riker how to play, as well.
Four of the brothers were members of the dance team, the Rage Boyz Crew on the T.V. show So You Think You Can Dance in 2009. In October 2008, the family met Ellington Ratliff at The Rage, a dance studio in California, in which he was also a member of the aforementioned Dance Crew. Ratliff joined the band on the drums and Rydel picked up the piano/keyboard (she had taken lessons previously), and R5 was created. In Mid-2009, R5 began to make a YouTube web series called R5 TV to "show their fans what they are up to" on Riker's YouTube Channel (Which they then switched to a new channel February 2012). This has proved to be very successful marketing for the band with over 4 million views to date. Throughout mid to late 2012 R5 recorded their debut Loud, which was released on February 19, 2013. They worked with producers Emanuel "Eman" Kiriakou and Evan "Kidd" Bogart for the EP.
They made their first self-created music video for their song "Can't Get Enough of You" on September 4, 2010. The band self released an EP entitled Ready Set Rock on March 9, 2010, consisting of songs written primarily by Riker, Rocky, Rydel, band coach E-Vega, and vocal coach/songwriter, Mauli B. The EP was produced by E-Vega. During these early years they played sets throughout Southern California at venues, including the Orange County Fair, the San Diego County Fair, the San Diego IndieFest, the Knitting Factory, and Six Flags Magic Mountain.
2012–13: Loud and Louder
In April 2012, the band announced via their website that they had signed a record deal with DMG's Hollywood Records and that they are planning for their first Mini Tour in May. The EP Charted in the Top 3 of the iTunes chart within 24 Hours of its Release. One of the four songs on the EP "Here Comes Forever" was written by Riker, Rocky and Ross. Riker has described their debut single "Loud" as "It's like this big huge loud party." On August 16, 2013, the lead single from their debut album was premiered on Radio Disney. "Pass Me By" was released digitally on August 20, 2013, and was available for instant download upon pre-ordering their debut album Louder. The album released on September 24, 2013. Fans can use the iTunes "Complete My Album" option to purchase the EP, which will allow them to purchase the entire album at a lower price. "Louder" climbed its way to number 2 on the iTunes charts and was classified as a "Chart-topper" on iTunes end of the year album list.
On December 25, 2013, the second single from Louder was released titled "(I Can't) Forget About You". Shortly after, it was announced that they would release a music video on 2014. The official video was released in the band's official website on January 15, 2014. It features the band members being in different kinds of crazy adventures while in Japan. On February 5, 2014, the band embarked on the first leg of their first ever world tour starting in Warsaw, Poland. They toured numerous cities in Europe including shows in, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Spain, France, England, Scotland and Ireland and also one show in Israel. They ended their European tour with their last show in Dublin, Ireland. They released the fourth single "One Last Dance" on May 29, 2014.
2014–present: Heart Made Up On You and upcoming second album
R5 also announced their second studio album, scheduled to be released in 2015. Riker revealed that their second album will likely be sounding "more mature" and Ross has started writing songs for it. The band also performed on the annual White House Easter Egg Roll and at the Radio Disney Music Awards on April 26, 2014. On April 24, 2014, the band appeared on Ryan Seacrest's popular KIIS-FM radio show, On Air with Ryan Seacrest. Here, it was announced that they would be the opening act at the Wango Tango music festival, performing alongside other famous artists such as Maroon 5, Shakira, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, OneRepublic, Christina Aguilera and lots more.
The band also released their music video on June 9, 2014 to "Rock That Rock". The song was written for Candymania's Ring Pop and the video featured a few clips and pictures sent in by fans while showcasing their candy. Member Rydel takes the lead vocals on the song. The third extended play, entitled Heart Made Up on You, was released on July 22, 2014. The EP consists of the songs "Heart Made Up On You," "Things Are Looking Up," "Easy Love," and "Stay With Me." The music video for "Heart Made Up on You" was released on August 1. On November 11, 2014 R5 announce in their Facebook page that their second single "Smile" was released in November 15, 2014. On November 16, 2014 R5 performed "Smile" on the CBS Radford - TJ Martell Family Day, in Los Angeles, and, on November 23, at the American Music Awards. On Februrary 16, 2015 a new single came out called Lets's Not Be Alone Tonight.
The band cites The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley and The Beach Boys as big musical influences. They have also mentioned McFly, Fall Out Boy, The Killers, Neon Trees, Walk the Moon, Maroon 5, Bruno Mars, and The Script as influences.
- Current Members
- Ross Lynch – Lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Riker Lynch – Bass, vocals
- Rocky Lynch – Guitar, vocals
- Rydel Lynch – Keyboards, vocals
- Ellington Ratliff – Drums, vocals
- Studio albums
- Louder (2013)
- Extended plays
Awards and nominations
|2013||Next Big Thing Awards||Next Big Thing||Themselves||Won|||
|Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Music Group||Nominated|||
|Best Acoustic Performance||"Loud"|
|Funniest Celebrity Take||Air Guitar|
|Teen Icon Awards||Iconic Band / Group||Themselves|||
|2014||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Music Group|||
|Best Song to Rock Out to With Your BFF||"Loud"|
|Favorite Roadtrip Song||"Pass Me By"|
|Show Stopper Award||Themselves||Won|
|Vevo LIFT Fan Vote Awards||Vevo LIFT Artist||Nominated|||
|Young Hollywood Awards||Social Media Superstar|||
|Teen Choice Award||Choice Music Group|||
|2013||On The Road||Independent|
|2014||Live on Tour||Independent|
- "What Makes R5 'Smile'? Find Out In This Exclusive Behind The Scenes Video". MTV. 2014-12-22. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- "R5 Gets 'Louder' As Ross Lynch's Profile Grows". MTV. 2013-10-04. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "R5 Describe their Sound as Both Pop and Rock". Glitter Magazine. 2015-01-27.
- "R5 – Molson Studio at Hamilton Place – May 6, 2013". Lithium Magazine. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "R5 leva guitarras de volta ao pop adolescente e estreia show no Brasil". G1. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- Staff (April 26, 2012). "Ross Lynch Signed a Record Deal with R5!". asweetbeat.com. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "R5 Announces First South American Shows in Brazil in October". 2014-08-11. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
- "R5". YouTube.
- Lynch, Riker. "R5 - Can't Get Enough of You - Official Music Video". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- [dead link] "About". R5Rocks.com. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- Sheehan, Katie (April 30, 2012). "R5 Signs to Hollywood Records". Artistdirect. (April 30, 2012). Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "Tommy2.net R5's Loud EP cracks Top Ten Album charts on iTunes, YLA tapes Shake It Up segment, Allstar Weekend releases third Tour Diaries video, Everlife updates fans about their new release, Jasmine Sagginario covers Locked Out Of Heaven, Crystal Bowersox previews the track Stitches, Ne-Yo receives a pick on Radio Disney Music Mailbag, Mandy Jiroux on the Tonight Show with Sky Blue, Mindless Behavior appearing in Southaven MS tomorrow - Tommy2.net". Tommy2.net.
- "R5 - We R R5". YouTube. 1 March 2013.
- "iTunes - Music - Louder (Deluxe) by R5". iTunes.
- Ho, Rachel (January 8, 2013). "Ready, Set... R5". Musichel. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- "R5: “Heart Made Up On You” EP Out July 22nd; Second Album Out September 30th (@officialR5 #R5family)". CelebSecrets4U.com.
- Up, Ocean. "R5 ‘Second Album Will Be More Mature’". Ocean Up. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Nededog, Jethro. "Fifth Harmony, Becky G and R5 to Perform on Radio Disney Music Awards (Video)". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Ng, Philiana. "Radio Disney Music Awards Set 2014 Date and First Performers". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Wango Tango 2014 - Announced Artists
- R5 #RockThatRock (Official Ring Pop Music Video)
- Ring Pop's official website on Candymania
- "Exclusive: Interview with the band R5 including Disney Channel's Austin & Ally star Ross Lynch". Mirror. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "25 Facts On Ross Lynch". Popstar Magazine. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "Pop-Rock Band R5 Named Radio Disney's Next Big Thing". Hollywood Reporter. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "2013 Radio Disney Music Awards: Nominees Announced! - Bop and Tigerbeat Magazine". bopandtigerbeat.com. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "J-14 TEEN ICON AWARDS: Meet Your 2013 Nominees & Vote Now!". J-14. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "2014 Radio Disney Music Awards". Disney. 2013-03-14.
- "Breaking Artists". Yahoo!. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Young Hollywood Awards Nominees: Ariana Grande, One Direction & More". Hollywood Life. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "The 2014 Teen Choice Awards Reveals Their Very Long List Of Nominees". ET Online. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "R5 Tour Book". Zinepark. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
- "R5 Live Tour Book". Wanelo. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to R5 (band).|