|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genres||Pop rock, alternative rock, pop punk|
R5 is an American pop rock band. Formed in Los Angeles, California, in 2009, the band consists of Ross Lynch (lead vocals, rhythm guitar), Riker Lynch (bass, vocals), Rocky Lynch (guitar, vocals), Rydel Lynch (keyboard, vocals) and Ellington Ratliff (drums, vocals). In March 2010, they self-released an EP, Ready Set Rock.
They are called R5 because all 5 of them have Rs to start their first or last name.
In April 2012, the band announced via their website that they had signed a record deal with Hollywood Records. R5's second extended play, Loud, was released on February 19, 2013, which featured the lead single and title track "Loud". The band's first full-length album, Louder, was released on September 24, 2013 and the album not only includes the four songs from Loud but also seven new songs. The lead single from Louder, "Pass Me By", was released on iTunes on August 20, 2013. The music video premiered on August 29, 2013 on the band's Vevo channel. The second single, "(I Can't) Forget About You", was released on December 25, 2013. They then further released their second extended play, 'Heart Made Up On You' which consisted of 4 new songs (in order) "Heart Made Up On You" "Things Are Looking Up" "Easy Love", and "Stay with Me"
2009–12: Formation and Ready Set Rock
R5 is made up of a group of siblings born and raised in Littleton, Colorado: brothers Riker Lynch, Rocky Lynch, Ross Lynch, sister Rydel Lynch and another brother who was the manager of the band, Ryland Lynch. While living in Colorado, the Lynch children went to a performing arts school. They wore make up and put on shows for their family and charged them at least a dollar to watch them perform in their basement at a young age, as young as four or five. In 2008, Riker, at 16, decided that he wanted to move to L.A. to pursue an acting career. To accommodate, their parents, Stormie and Mark Lynch, moved the whole family to L.A. so that they could stay together. Opportunity after opportunity arose, and the siblings began their debuts on commercials. Four of the brothers were members of the dance team, the Rage Boyz Crew on the T.V. show So You Think You Can Dance in 2009. In October 2008, the family met Ellington Ratliff at The Rage, a dance studio in California, in which he was also a member of the aforementioned Dance Crew. Ratliff joined the band on the drums and Rydel picked up the piano/keyboard (she had taken lessons previously), and R5 was created.
In Mid-2009, R5 began to make a YouTube web series called R5 TV to "show their fans what they are up to" on Riker's YouTube Channel (Which they then switched to a new channel February 2012). This has proved to be very successful marketing for the band with over 4 million views to date. Throughout mid to late 2012 R5 recorded their debut Loud, which was released on February 19, 2013. They worked with producers Emanuel "Eman" Kiriakou and Evan "Kidd" Bogart for the EP. They made their first self-created music video for their song "Can't Get Enough of You" on September 4, 2010.
The band self released an EP entitled Ready Set Rock on March 9, 2010, consisting of songs written primarily by Riker, Rocky, Rydel, band coach E-Vega, and vocal coach/songwriter, Mauli B. The EP was produced by E-Vega. During these early years they played sets throughout Southern California at venues, including the Orange County Fair, the San Diego County Fair, the San Diego IndieFest, the Knitting Factory, and Six Flags Magic Mountain.
2012–14: Loud and Louder
In April 2012, the band announced via their website that they had signed a record deal with DMG's Hollywood Records and that they are planning for their first Mini Tour in May. The EP Charted in the Top 3 of the iTunes chart within 24 Hours of its Release. One of the four songs on the EP "Here Comes Forever" was written by Riker, Rocky and Ross. Riker has described their debut single "Loud" as "It's like this big huge loud party."
On August 16, 2013, the lead single from their debut album was premiered on Radio Disney. "Pass Me By" was released digitally on August 20, 2013, and was available for instant download upon pre-ordering their debut album Louder. The album released on September 24, 2013. Fans can use the iTunes "Complete My Album" option to purchase the EP, which will allow them to purchase the entire album at a lower price. "Louder" climbed its way to number 2 on the iTunes charts and was classified as a "Chart-topper" on iTunes end of the year album list.
On December 25, 2013, the second single from Louder was released titled "(I Can't) Forget About You". Shortly after, it was announced that they would release a music video on 2014. The official video was released in the band's official website on January 15, 2014. It features the band members being in different kinds of crazy adventures while in Japan. On February 5, 2014, the band embarked on the first leg of their first ever world tour starting in Warsaw, Poland. They toured numerous cities in Europe including shows in, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Spain, France, England, Scotland and Ireland and also one show in Israel. They ended their European tour with their last show in Dublin, Ireland.
2014–present: Heart Made Up On You and upcoming second studio album
R5 also announced their second studio album, scheduled to be released in 2015. Riker revealed that their second album will likely be sounding "more mature" and Ross has started writing songs for it. The band also performed on the annual White House Easter Egg Roll and at the Radio Disney Music Awards on April 26, 2014. On April 24, 2014, the band appeared on Ryan Seacrest's popular KIIS-FM radio show, On Air with Ryan Seacrest. Here, it was announced that they would be the opening act at the Wango Tango music festival, performing alongside other famous artists such as Maroon 5, Shakira, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, OneRepublic, Christina Aguilera and lots more.
The band also released their music video on June 9, 2014 to "Rock That Rock". The song was written for Candymania's Ring Pop and the video featured a few clips and pictures sent in by fans while showcasing their candy. Member Rydel takes the lead vocals on the song. The third extended play, entitled Heart Made Up on You, was released on July 22, 2014. The EP consists of the songs "Things Are Looking Up", "Easy Love", "Stay With Me" and the lead single "Heart Made Up on You", released on August 1.
On November 11, 2014 R5 announce in their facebook page that their second single "Smile" will be released in November 14, 2014.
The band cites The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley and The Beach Boys as big musical influences. They have also mentioned McFly, Fall Out Boy, The Killers, Neon Trees, Walk the Moon, Maroon 5, Bruno Mars, and The Script as influences.
- Current Members
- Ross Lynch – Lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Riker Lynch – Bass, vocals
- Rocky Lynch – Lead guitar, vocals
- Rydel Lynch – Keyboard, vocals
- Ellington Ratliff – Drums, vocals
- Studio albums
- Louder (2013)
- Extended plays
Awards and nominations
|2013||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Music Group||Themselves||Nominated|||
|Best Acoustic Performance||"Loud"|
|Teen Icon Awards||Iconic Band / Group||Themselves|||
|Next Big Thing Awards||Next Big Thing||Won|||
|2014||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Music Group||Nominated|||
|That's My Jam||"Loud"|
|Favorite Roadtrip Song||"Pass Me By"|
|Show Stopper Award||Themselves||Won|
|Vevo LIFT Fan Vote Awards||Vevo LIFT Artist||Nominated|||
|Young Hollywood Awards||Social Media Superstar|||
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Music Group|||
- West Coast Tour (2012)
- East Coast Tour (2012)
- Loud Tour (2013)
- Dancing Out My Pants Tour (2013)
- Louder Tour (2013–14)
- R5 Live on Tour (2014)
- "R5 – Molson Studio at Hamilton Place – May 6, 2013". Lithium Magazine. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- Lynch, Riker. "R5 - Can't Get Enough of You - Official Music Video". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- [dead link] "About". R5Rocks.com. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- Sheehan, Katie (April 30, 2012). "R5 Signs to Hollywood Records". Artistdirect. (April 30, 2012). Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- Ho, Rachel (January 8, 2013). "Ready, Set... R5". Musichel. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- Up, Ocean. "R5 ‘Second Album Will Be More Mature’". Ocean Up. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Nededog, Jethro. "Fifth Harmony, Becky G and R5 to Perform on Radio Disney Music Awards (Video)". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Ng, Philiana. "Radio Disney Music Awards Set 2014 Date and First Performers". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Wango Tango 2014 - Announced Artists
- R5 #RockThatRock (Official Ring Pop Music Video)
- Ring Pop's official website on Candymania
- "Exclusive: Interview with the band R5 including Disney Channel's Austin & Ally star Ross Lynch". Mirror. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "25 Facts On Ross Lynch". Popstar Magazine. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "2013 Radio Disney Music Awards: Nominees Announced! - Bop and Tigerbeat Magazine". bopandtigerbeat.com. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "J-14 TEEN ICON AWARDS: Meet Your 2013 Nominees & Vote Now!". J-14. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Pop-Rock Band R5 Named Radio Disney's Next Big Thing". Hollywood Reporter. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "2014 Radio Disney Music Awards". Disney. 2013-03-14.
- "R5 Win Best Band at Radio Disney Music Awards 2014!". Ammonand Cedric. 2013-03-14.
- "Breaking Artists". Yahoo!. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Young Hollywood Awards Nominees: Ariana Grande, One Direction & More". Hollywood Life. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "The 2014 Teen Choice Awards Reveals Their Very Long List Of Nominees". ET Online. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-03-16.