RCS & RDS
|Key people||Zoltán Teszári|
|Products||Telephone, Internet, Wireless, Television|
|Revenue||€418 million (2010)|
RCS & RDS is one of the biggest telecommunication operators in South-Eastern Europe and the largest cable and satellite television company in Romania. It offers cable television, cable internet, VOIP, 3G services and since 2004 satellite television (Digi TV).
- Zoltán Teszári – 58,92%
- Sfetozar Bugarszki – 7,23%
- Nicusor Dorel Schelean – 6,98%
- Mihai Patap – 5,31%
- Maria Docea – 4,56%
- Ioan Bendei – 4,51%
- Gheorghe Maftei – 4,51%
- Dorina Schelean – 3,02%
- Cable Communications Systems NV – 2,47%
- Traian Aurelian Sirian – 2,18%.
The company, which is based in Bucharest, Romania, was formed in April 2005 by the de jure merger of Romania Cable Systems (RCS) and Romania Data Systems (RDS). The companies were under the same ownership from the very beginning and operating de facto as a single unit long before that.
As of 2007, the company has:
- 2.6 million customers for the satellite television service DigiTV.Satelit.
- 1.6 million customers for the cable TV service DigiTV.Cablu.
- 1.5 million for the landline phone system service Digi.Tel.
- 2.0 million for the mobile phone service Digi.Mobil.
- 1.1 million for its broadband Internet service Digi.Net.
- Digi.Net: Residential or Business broadband connection on cable or FTTB infrastructure or Optical Fiber.
- Digi.Net Mobil: 3G mobile internet service available in Romania.
- Digi.Tel: Residential or business VOIP on cable or FTTB infrastructure.
- Digi.Tv: Satellite television and Cable television.
- Digi.Mobil: 3G mobile telephony and mobile internet operating on 2100 MHz.
- Digi Move: 3G mobile internet service available in Hungary.
RCS&RDS Digital TV Channels
Beside the base package, it offers additional subscriptions.
Radio Frequency Summary
The following is a list of known frequencies which Digi.Mobil employs in Romania:
|226||05||2100 MHz||UMTS/HSDPA(14.4 Mbit/s/384 kbit/s)||3G||In some areas HSUPA 5.76 Mbit/s is also deployed for testing, not for commercial use.|
In November 2012 RCS&RDS ceased broadcasting channels sourced from Discovery Communications via its Romanian cable television network. Mark Hollinger, CEO of Discovery Communications, released an open letter decrying this move, claiming it removed the audience's right to choose to view those channels or not. RCS&RDS issued a press statement accusing Hollinger of hypocrisy and claiming Discovery Communications were only interested in monetary gain.
RCS & RDS is Romania's first and largest adopter of the FTTB concept after the Tirco merge. Tirco is considered to be the pioneer of UrbanLink. In addition to its own, the company is aggressively acquiring smaller ventures possessing small infrastructures, usually in the form of "Neighborhood Networks" (ro: Rețea de cartier).
RCS & RDS also operates two mobile virtual networks over Movistar in Spain and 3 in Italy for the Romanians living in these countries. In February 2011 RCS & RDS launched mobile internet service in Hungary under the Digi Move brand. This service is run over Telenor Hungaryʼs infrastructure.
- "RCS&RDS cumpără UPC România" (in Romanian). Capital. October 11, 2011.
- "RCS & RDS numeşte un vicepreşedinte de la una din companiile pe care le-a preluat" (in Romanian). money.ro. November 19, 2009.
- "ECI Telecom and RCS & RDS Deploy 100G Channels in Romania". Dark Fiber Community. September 26, 2012.
- Adevărata faţă a conducerii RCS-RDS
- Company financial report for 2007