RE/MAX World Long Drive Championship
The RE/MAX World Long Drive Championships, also known as the World Long Drive Championship, REMAX World Long Drive, RE/MAX WLDC or REMAX, is an annual world championship in long drive golf driving, hosted since 1975. The Long Drivers of America (LDA) took the reins in 1995 and RE/MAX became the title sponsor the same year; it evolved out of the original National Long Drive Championship, ran by Golf Digest. It used to be contested at a specially made complex in Mesquite, Nevada which is 60 yards wide and 450 yards long. It requires a three-step qualifying process and step one generally requires a drive of over 330 yards. The finalists of the competition can often hit the ball over 400 yards, over 100 yards longer than the average professional PGA golfer, although many of the drives are in the 360-400 yard range and some have won previous competitions with drives within this range and even less in earlier years of the competition. The most prolific winner is the Canadian Jason Zuback, who has won it five times, including 4 in a row from 1996 to 1999.
This is the last year, 2012, this event will be held in Mesquite, NV.
In 2013, the event was held at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, for the first time that the event was held there.
- 1976 - Evan Williams, 319
- 1977 - Evan Wiliams, 353
- 1978 - John McComish, 330
- 1979 - Andy Franks, 314
- 1980 - Scott DeCandia, 295/18
- 1981 - Lon Hinkle, 338/6
- 1982 - Andy Franks, 346/17.5
- 1983 - Terry Forcum, 307
- 1984 - Wedgy Winchester, 319/14
- 1985 - Dennis Paulson, 323/2
- 1986 - Art Sellinger, 311/4
- 1987 - Mike Gorton, 318/1
- 1988 - Jim Maynard, 334/14
- 1989 - Scott DeCandia, 327/15
- 1990 - Frank Miller, 328/14
- 1991 - Art Sellinger, 326/5
- 1992 - Monte Scheinblum 329/13
- 1993 - Brian Pavlet, 336/3
- 1994 - Darryl Anderson, 345
- 1995 - Sean Fister ( USA)
- 1996 - Jason Zuback ( Canada)
- 1997 - Jason Zuback ( Canada)
- 1998 - Jason Zuback ( Canada)
- 1999 - Jason Zuback ( Canada)
- 2000 - Viktor Johansson ( Sweden)
- 2001 - Sean Fister ( USA)
- 2002 - Carl Wolter ( USA)
- 2003 - Clayton Burger ( USA)
- 2004 - David Mobley ( USA)
- 2005 - Sean Fister ( USA)
- 2006 - Jason Zuback ( Canada)
- 2007 - Mike Dobbyn ( USA)
- 2008 - Jamie Sadlowski ( Canada)
- 2009 - Jamie Sadlowski ( Canada)
- 2010 - Joe Miller ( UK)
- 2011 - Carl Wolter ( USA)
- 2012 - Ryan Winther ( USA)
- 2013 - Tim Burke, 427yds ( USA)
- "Mike-Dobbyn-joins-Zero-Friction-Performance-professional-staff". World Golf. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- "Super Freak: The longest hitter in history". Golf.com. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- "About Jamie". jamiesadlowski.net. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
|This golf-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|