RENFE Class 310
RENFE 310.009 (August 2003)
|Model||SW 1001 AC|
|Gauge||1,668 mm (5 ft 5 21⁄32 in)|
|Wheel diameter||1,067 mm (42.0 in)|
|Length||12.550 m (41 ft 2.09 in)|
|Width||3.085 m (10 ft 1.46 in)|
|Height||4.305 m (14 ft 1.49 in)|
|Locomotive weight||78 t (77 long tons; 86 short tons)|
|Prime mover||GM 8-645-E|
|Engine type||Two-stroke Diesel engine|
|Top speed||110 km/h (68 mph) (or 114 km/h or 71 mph)|
|Power output||598 kW (802 hp)|
|Tractive effort||131.59 kN (29,580 lbf) up to 17 km/h (4.7 m/s)|
The RENFE Class 310 is a class of 60 four axle Bo'Bo' diesel-electric locomotives for shunting and freight built by Meinfesa with General Motors Electromotive Division components (engine, electrical transmission).
In the mid-2000s 4 units were converted to a subclass 310.1; a push-pull container train with a 310 class locomotive at each end; the units later became the property of Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya and became the loco class FGC 353.
History and design
The RENFE 310 was ordered in the late 1980s as a replacement for the RENFE Class 307 and 308. The order was part of a modernisation of the diesel shunting fleet in the 1980s which also resulted in the RENFE Class 309 and 311. The 310 Class is a variant of the General Motors SW1001 switcher with a modified cab shape.
The locomotives were painted in the standard silver and red livery standard for RENFE shunting locomotives.
4 units have been converted to a formation known as "Medium Distance Teco" (TMD) (Spanish: Teco de Media Distancia); this is a service intended to move containerised freight a distance between 120 and 300 km (75 and 186 mi), and compete with road transport.[note 1] Each train consists of 8 60 ft (18.29 m) wagons and a class 310 locomotive at either end, with a container capacity of 24 TEU. The locomotives are connected by optical fibre. The 310.1 locomotives received modified cabs, similar to the design of the rebuilt RENFE 333.3 subclass.
- EMD SW1001 General Motors switcher locomotive, and basis of the class 310 design
- The push-pull freight train concept is also found in the CargoSprinter (Germany) and M250 series (Japan)
- "Caract. técnicas - Material motor - Renfe 310". www.listadotren.es (in Spanish).
- Jorge Sanz Mongay. "SERIE 310". www.jorges.arrakis.es (in Spanish).
- "ADIF - 310". www.listadotren.es (in Spanish).
- Barry Cross (June 2004). "Freight innovations to win back traffic from road: Renfe's freight business unit is introducing innovations to try to increase traffic and win back market share from road while at the same time making better use of existing resources". findarticles.com. International Railway Journal.
- "Cargometro: nuevo servicio de mercancías para Seat entre Barcelona y Martorell". www.vialibre-ffe.com (in Spanish). 5 June 2009.
- Enguix i Peiro, Joan Carles : Las nuevas locomotoras 310, in Carril n° 30, 06/1990
- Galan Eruste, Manuel : Mercancias regionales : TMD. In Maquetren n° 125, 08/2003
- Gutiérrez Ruiz, Antonio : Serie 310 : Metamorfosis, in Maquetren n° 130, 01/2004
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to RENFE Class 310.|