RKO Keith's Theater (Flushing, Queens)
RKO Keith's Theater
RKO Keith Flushing, April 2009
|Location||135-35 Northern Blvd., Queens, New York|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architectural style||Mission/Spanish Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||
|Added to NRHP||October 29, 1982|
RKO Keith's Theater is a historic RKO Pictures movie theater located in the Flushing section of the New York City borough of Queens. It was designed by noted theater architect Thomas W. Lamb (1871–1942) and built in 1928. It has a plain three story exterior facade, but the auditorium interior was once designed in a Spanish Baroque Revival style.
The theater was closed in 1986 and then gutted illegally by the building's new owner Thomas Huang. Huang also dumped approximately 10,000 gallons of waste oil in the basement of the theater. He was indicted and plead guilty to two felony charges. He was sentenced to five years probation and a $5,000 fine and ordered by the court to remediate conditions in the theater in lieu of serving jail time. Huang ignored the order.
The theater changed hands in 2004, 2010, and again in 2013, remaining vacant since its closure in 1984. In December 2013 the present owners announced plans are for the lobby to be restored as an entrance to a 17-story apartment building.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- Anne B. Covell (August 1982). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: RKO Keith's Theater". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2011-01-16. See also: "Accompanying 11 photos".
- "Flushing's RKO Keith's - Remembering A Magnificent Movie Palace", By Liz Goff 'The Queens Tribune,' 2003
- Budin, Jeremiah (19 December 2013). "Flushing Theater Has New Owner, May Finally Be Developed". NY Curbed, Vox Media Inc. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Landmarks Preservation Commission, February 28, 1984
- Cinema Treasures, RKO Keith's Theatre, Flushing, NY
- "Save The RKO Keith's Flushing" Facebook.com
- 2011 Photos of the Keith's Theatre by Matt Lambros
|This article about a historic property or district in Queens County, New York, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in Queens is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|