RM Hubbert at the Arches, Glasgow, 2011.
|Birth name||Robert McArthur Hubbert|
|Also known as||Hubby|
12 May 1974 |
|Genres||Acoustic guitar, flamenco, post rock, punk|
|Years active||2008 – present|
|Labels||Ubisano, Chemikal Underground|
|Associated acts||El Hombre Trajeado|
RM Hubbert (Robert McArthur Hubbert, born 12 May 1974 in Glasgow, Scotland), commonly known as Hubby, is a Scottish guitarist and singer. Best known for his solo work as RM Hubbert and as a member of Scottish post rock band El Hombre Trajeado, he has been an active member of the Glaswegian DIY music scene since 1991.
Hubbert's first band was formed in 1991 under the name Me, Hubby & Thom. The band's drummer, Thom Falls, also played drums for Glasgow band The Blisters, notable as the first band of future Franz Ferdinand guitarist and singer Alex Kapranos. Kapranos and Hubbert became friends whilst running The Kazoo Club at The 13th Note in Glasgow after the original promoter quit. Hubbert later joined The Blisters on second guitar. He then joined Glaswegian hardcore band Glue in 1992 until the group split in 1995.
El Hombre Trajeado formed in 1995 with Stevie Jones, Ben Jones and Stef Sinclair, El Hombre Trajeado released three albums; Skipafone (Guided Missile Recordings, GUIDE33CD, 1998), Saccade (Human Condition Records, HCCD0031, 2001) and Shlap (Lost Dog Recordings, ARFF004, 2004) before disbanding in 2005. Although the band rarely toured, they supported artists such as Nick Cave, Sebadoh, Tortoise, Mike Watt and The Delgados around the UK. They recorded three radio sessions for John Peel on BBC Radio One between 1998 and 2001.
Originally planned as a distraction to take his mind off of the death of his parents, the nine solo guitar pieces that make up his debut album First & Last are based on flamenco structures and techniques, albeit with a modern approach to melody. Hubbert self-released First & Last as a limited edition handbound book with CD on the DIY label Ubisano in 2009. The release garnered good reviews, leading to the long running influential Scottish record label Chemikal Underground signing him in late 2010. Chemikal Underground reissued First & Last on 12" vinyl and CD in early 2011.
Hubbert's second album for Chemikal Underground, Thirteen Lost & Found, is predominately made up of collaborations with other Scottish musicians such as Aidan Moffat, Emma Pollock and Alasdair Roberts. The album was conceived as a way of reconnecting with old friends whilst getting to know newer ones better. This album also saw Hubbert work again with Alex Kapranos, who acted as producer.
A prolific live performer, Hubbert has toured extensively around the UK and mainland Europe both on his own and in support slots for the likes of Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, The Twilight Sad, Franz Ferdinand, Bill Wells & Aidan Moffat, King Creosote, Emma Pollock and Thee Silver Mt Zion.
Thirteen Lost & Found won the Scottish Album of the Year Award in 2013, beating albums by Emeli Sande, Calvin Harris, Django Django and The Twilight Sad amongst others and picking up the £20,000 prize.
Breaks & Bone, Hubbert's third solo album - and the first on which he also sings - was released on Chemikal Underground in September 2013. It was short listed for the 2014 Scottish Album of the Year Award alongside albums by Biffy Clyro, Chvrches, Mogwai and Boards of Canada amongst others.
- Sunbeam Melts The Hour (with Hanna Tuulikki & Marion Kenny) / For F**k Sake D, Sit Nice (Chemikal Underground Records / CHEM170DD / 22 January 2012)
- Car Song (with Aidan Moffat & Alex Kapranos) / Mo Ve'La Bella Mia Da La (with Alasdair Roberts & Emma Pollock) (Chemikal Underground Records / CHEM176DD / 29 April 2012)
Split Tour EP with Emma Pollock (Chemikal Underground Records / CHEM188CD / 2 September 2012)
- Half Light (RM Hubbert, Emma Pollock & Rafe FitzPatrick)
- The Night Is Heavy (Emma Pollock with Adem)
- SG-666 (RM Hubbert)
- Dark Skies (Emma Pollock)
- Elliot (RM Hubbert & Luke Sutherland)
- Mo Ve'La Bella Mia Da La (RM Hubbert, Alasdair Roberts & Emma Pollock)
First & Last (Chemikal Underground Records / CHEM156 / 28 February 2011)
- Hey There Mr Bone
- For Maria
- Mrs Saunders
- By Reference
- Temple Circa 89
- Go Quickly
Thirteen Lost & Found (Chemikal Underground Records / CHEM166 / 30 January 2012)
- We Radioed (with Luke Sutherland)
- Car Song (with Aidan Moffat]] & Alex Kapranos)
- For Joe
- Gus Am Bris An Latha (with John Ferguson)
- Sunbeam Melts The Hour (with Marion Kenny & Hanna Tuulikki)
- Sandwalks (with Stevie Jones & Paul Savage)
- Half Light (with Emma Pollock & Rafe Fitzpatrick)
- Hungarian Notation (with Shane Connolly, Alex Kapranos & Michael John McCarthy)
- Switches Part 2
- The False Bride (with Alasdair Roberts)
Breaks & Bone (Chemikal Underground Records / CHEM200 / 27 September 2013)
- Son of Princess, Brother of Rambo
- Couch Crofting
- Tongue Tied & Tone Deaf
- Go Slowly
- Feedback Loops
- For Helen
- 11 Dec