RPA & The United Nations of Sound
|RPA & The United Nations of Sound|
|Associated acts||Confessional Lights and The Verve|
|Members||Richard Ashcroft (vocals and acoustic guitar)
Steve Wyreman (guitar)
Dwayne "DW" Wright (bass)
Qyu Jackson (drums - live)
Rico Petrillo (keyboards and samples - live)
|Past members||Derrick Wright (drums - studio)
Reggie Dozer (sound engineering - studio)
Benjamin Wright (string arrangements - studio)
RPA & The United Nations of Sound are a British alternative rock band formed by vocalist Richard Ashcroft, former lead singer of The Verve. Ashcroft announced the formation of the band (which is a pseudonym more than a real band) and presented the video of the first single, "Are You Ready?", on 18 January 2010 in an exclusive premiere on the NME website. "Are You Ready?" was released only in the UK on 1 April 2010 in a limited edition 12" vinyl. On 9 April 2010 the band released a fanclub-only track, "Third Eye (Colombus Circle)". In the first two weeks of June Ashcroft and his musicians completed a European tour (Ancona, Paris, Berlin, Cologne, Amsterdam, Manchester and London), then they played in Tokyo and Osaka on 7–8 August 2010 during the Summer Sonic Festival 2010 and also in Melbourne and Sydney respectively on 30 July and 31 July. The band played in Australia also during the Splendour in the Grass Festival in late July. The band's debut album as Richard's backing lineup, entitled "United Nations of Sound", was released on 19 July 2010. "Born Again", the first proper single, was officially released the same day of the album as a digital download.
This band marks the first solo outing of Ashcroft without the drummer of The Verve, Peter Salisbury, who played on his first three solo albums and tours.
Since 1997, Ashcroft has had a string of 5 consecutive albums reach the top 3 of the UK album charts. The Verve's Forth reached #1 in 2008, joining 1997's Urban Hymns (which also reached #1). Ashcroft's three solo albums - 2000's Alone With Everybody (#1), 2002's Human Conditions (#3), and 2006's Keys to the World (#2) - all peaked in the top 3 of the UK album charts.
The album "United Nations of Sound" debuted at #20 in the UK chart before falling to #59 the following week.
After two months of silence, on 15 October Ashcroft releases through his website a second fanclub-only track, "Here We Go Again". On the same day the song "Are You Ready?" was released as a single also in the United States as a digital download. The radio edit of "Are You Ready?" is available for free on the US version of Richard's website.
The album United Nations of Sound will be released in the United States on 22 March 2011 under the name "Richard Ashcroft" through the record company Razor & Tie and the lead single "Are You Ready?" will be featured over the closing credits of the film The Adjustment Bureau in March 2011, along with the new song "Future's Bright", written and performed specifically for the film's opening by Richard and ten-time Oscar-nominated composer Thomas Newman.
For the US release of "Are You Ready?", Richard Ashcroft and Big Life Management commissioned Giorgio Testi for the promo – to be created out of live footage from a show at Shepherd’s Bush Empire. The video premiered on February 7 on the official website of Pulse Films, the production company.
- "Watch Richard Ashcroft's 'Are You Ready?' comeback video now - exclusive". NME. 2010-01-18. Retrieved 2010-01-18.
- "RPA & The United Nations of Sound European tour 2010". 2010-06-03. Retrieved 2010-06-03.
- "Summer Sonic 2010 lineup". 2010-04-07. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Splendour in the Grass 2010 lineup". 2010-04-15. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "The album 'United Nations of Sound' released 19.07.10". 2010-07-05. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- "The single 'Born Again' released 19.07.10". 2010-07-05. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- "The single 'Are You Ready?' was released today in the US iTunes Music store". 2010-10-16. Retrieved 2010-10-16.
- "RICHARD ASHCROFT SIGNS WITH RAZOR & TIE IN THE UNITED STATES". 2010-11-02. Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- "Are You Ready? on The Adjustment Bureau". Razor & Tie official website (Richard Ashcroft BIO).
- "Richard Ashcroft’s 'Are You Ready?' by Giorgio Testi". Pulse Films official website.
- Official website (UK)
- Official website (US)
- Official YouTube channel
- Richard Ashcroft Online
- RPA & The United Nations of Sound on Myspace
- Richard Ashcroft at the Internet Movie Database