||This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (March 2010)
RPO ZR2 was a special off-road/suspension package offered by General Motors primarily on their 4x4 2nd Generation S-Series line. It debuted in 1994 on the Chevrolet S-10 and the GMC Sonoma pickup trucks. In 1996 it was expanded to the two-door Chevrolet S-10 Blazer and later offered on the Chevrolet Tracker. The ZR2 package was gradually phased out with the S-Series pickup and SUV lines.
- Ladder-type Frame with modified mounting points
- 100mm wider track (3.9 inches wider than regular S-10)
- Increased ground clearance (Approx 3" over Regular S-Series 4x4)
- Enhanced front (7.25" ring gear) and rear (8.5" ring gear) axles w/ 3.73:1 rear-axle ratio
- Larger wheel and axle bearings
- 31 x 10.50" BFG A/T Tires (Pickup), 31 x 10.50" BFG Longtrails (Blazer)
- 46mm gas pressurized Bilstein Monotube shocks
- Rear track bar (pickup), front anti-sway bar (blazer)
- Skid plates
- 1994 - ZR2 package is introduced with the Regular Cab 2nd Generation S-Series Pickups
- 1995 - ZR2 package expanded to Extended Cab S-Series Pickups
- 1996 - ZR2 package extended to 2-Door Blazer models. 3rd door was offered on extended cab models.
- 1998 - Disc brakes are now standard on the Front and Rear wheels. Interior updated along with front grill and headlights.
- 1999 - GM replaces the Aluminum Skid Plates with Composite Skid Plates. Side mirrors are updated. (much stronger)
- Last model year the ZR2 option was offered on a regular cab pickup.
- 2001 - ZR2 package extended to Chevrolet Tracker
- 2002 - ZR2 Trackers were upgraded to LT Editions, offering optional leather upholstery
- 2003 - (sometime during production year) ZR2's start shipping with General Ameritrac tires instead of the classic BFG's.
- GM discontinues S-Series Pickups, this is the last year that the ZR2 is available on a pickup
- A ZR2 Jimmy surfaces in Canada. This came as a surprise because it was unavailable in the USA.
- 2004 - ZR2 available on Blazer and Tracker models. In a shocking move, for the first time the ZR2 is offered with a 2WD model.
- 2005 - This is the last year for ZR2 Blazers (USA) /Jimmys (Canada)
- GM discontinues ALL remaining S-Series models, ZR2 is phased out.