|Grade 1 race|
|Sponsor||RSA Insurance Group|
|Distance||3m ½f (4,929 metres)|
|Qualification||Five-years-old and up|
|Weight||11 st 2 lb (5yo);
11 st 4 lb (6yo+)
7 lb for mares
|Don Poli||Southfield Theatre||Wounded Warrior|
|O'Faolains Boy||Smad Place||Morning Assembly|
|Lord Windermere||Lyreen Legend||Hadrian's Approach|
|Bobs Worth||First Lieutenant||Call The Police|
|Bostons Angel||Jessies Dream||Wayward Prince|
|Garrison Savannah||The Committee||Chatam|
|Envopak Token||Nick The Brief||Brown Windsor|
|The West Awake||Bob Tisdall||Yeoman Broker|
The RSA Chase is a Grade 1 National Hunt chase in Great Britain which is open to horses aged five years or older. It is run on the Old Course at Cheltenham over a distance of about 3 miles and 110 yards (4,929 metres), and during its running there are nineteen fences to be jumped. The race is for novice chasers, and it is scheduled to take place each year during the Cheltenham Festival in March.
The event was formerly known as the Broadway Novices' Chase, but since the mid-1960s it has been run under various sponsored titles. From 1964 to 1973 it was sponsored by the Tote, and it was called the Totalisator Champion Novices' Chase. Since then it has been backed by its present sponsor, RSA Insurance Group, and its predecessors Sun Alliance (1974–1996) and Royal & SunAlliance (1997–2008).
Several winners of the race have subsequently achieved victory in the most prestigious chase in the National Hunt calendar, the Cheltenham Gold Cup. The most recent was Lord Windermere, the winner of the latter event in 2014.
Leading jockey since 1946 (5 wins):
- Pat Taaffe – Coneyburrow (1953), Solfen (1960), Grallagh Cnoc (1961), Arkle (1963), Proud Tarquin (1970)
Leading trainer since 1946 (4 wins):
- Fulke Walwyn – Mountain Prince (1948, div. 2), On View (1951), Glenbeigh (1954), Mandarin (1957)
- Willie Mullins – Florida Pearl (1998), Rule Supreme (2004), Cooldine (2009), Don Poli (2015)
Winners since 1946
- Amateur jockeys indicated by "Mr".
- Separate divisions of the race indicated by (1) and (2).
- Racing Post:
- cheltenham.co.uk – Media information pack (2010).
- pedigreequery.com – Royal & SunAlliance Chase – Cheltenham.
- Ladbrokes Pocket Companion 1990/91. Aesculus Press. 1990. p. 60. ISBN 1-871093-21-X.
- Race Recordings