||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
|Occupation||Music video director|
|Years active||2004 - present|
Randall Thorne, better known by his pseudonym RT!, is a Canadian music video and television advertisement director of Trinidadian and Barbadian heritage. He was born in Calgary, Alberta. Thorne is noted for "manufacturing deeply immersive visual worlds" and is the most awarded music video director in Canada, having received thirteen international awards over nine years in the field of music video. As of May 2012, he is Executive Director of a production company, the NE Inc., in addition to holding a position on its roster of directors. He is also a director with the non-profit cultural organization, The Remix Project.
Throughout his career, Thorne has directed music videos for a wide range of musicians, including Simple Plan, Kardinal Offishall, Shawn Desman, George Nozuka, Belly, Ginuwine, Xzibit, Marianas Trench, Sean Paul, Danny Fernandes, Candy Coated Killahz, Snoop Dogg, Neverending White Lights, K.Maro, Massari, Joel Plaskett, Talib Kweli and Keshia Chante.
RT! has worked extensively in TELEVISION serving as an episodic director IN 2014 for THE series DEGRASSI * (MTV / TeenNick – Epitome Productions.) IN 2013 HE DIRECTED A SPECIAL FOR THE SERIES THE NEXT STEP (Family Channel – Temple Street Productions.) Previously, he HAD been a Story Producer on SunTV’s Multi-ethnic documentary series ECHO for its entire run. In 2012 he developed an original Transmedia property called ALIVE, with partners (MUCH / BELL MEDIA - Universal Records) THE TELEVISION COMPONENT WAS AN ORIGINAL TV MOVIE THAT HAD A PRIMETIME PREMIERE ON MUCH FEB 7TH, of which he was the Exec Producer, Director and Co-Writer. ALIVE WAS AWARDED BEST SHORT FILM AT THE 2013 REELWORLD FILM FESTIVAL.
The Remix Project
As of May 2012, Thorne serves on the board of directors of The Remix Project, a non-profit cultural incubator that aims to increase access to the "creative industries" for underprivileged and marginalized youth. In the Fall of 2009, the Remix Project partnered with Team Seven Productions and Temple Street Productions to create CITYLIFE, a new educational initiative that aimed to create short films from the voices of inner city youth. RT! is the Director of Programs for CITYLIFE which included running workshops as well as serving as a directing mentor to the participants.
Early in his career RT! noticed that many video outlets and stations weren't crediting the directors of videos. To try to ensure that the audience would know that he directed a video, RT! tagged the beginning of each of his videos with a trademark film strip. This became a branding tool for him that helped increase awareness of his work.
Over the course of nine years, RT! has received 12 international music video awards, including "Director of the Year" for two consecutive years at the MuchMusic Video Awards. Since the beginning of his career, RT! has been nominated every year at the MuchMusic awards, including six consecutive years in the Director of the Year category.
Including the MMVA, RT! has been nominated for more than forty film and television industry awards.
Much Music Video Awards
- 2006: Best Video of 2006 for Kardinal Offishall – "Everyday Rudebwoy"
- 2006: Best Director for Kardinal Offishall – "Everyday Rudebwoy"
- 2006: Best Pop Video for Massari – "Be Easy"
- 2006: VideoFACT Award for Kardinal Offishall – "Everyday Rudebwoy"
- 2007: Best Director for George Nozuka - "Lie to Me"
- 2007: Best Rap Video for Belly feat. Ginuwine – "Pressure"
- 2008: Best Hip Hop Video for Belly feat. Mario Winans – "Ridin'"
- 2009: UR FAV Video for Simple Plan – "Save You"
- 2010: Best Hip Hop Video for Belly feat. Snoop Dogg – "Hot Girl"
- 2011: Best Video of 2011 for Shawn Desman – "Night Like This"
- 2011: Best Post Production for Danny Fernandes feat. Belly – "Automatic"
- 2013: Video of The Year for Classified ft. David Myles - "Inner Ninja"
- 2013: Muchfact Video Of The Year for Classified ft. David Myles - "Inner Ninja"
- 2004: MTV/Urbanworld: Best Short Video for About 2 Change
- 2008: ECM Awards: Video of the Year for Joel Plaskett - "Fashionable People"
- 2009: ReelWorld Film Festival: Best Music Video for Simple Plan – "Save You"
- 2013: ReelWorld Film Festival: Best Short Film for "ALIVE"
- "Cool in You! Judges". tribute.ca. iSkin Inc. 2006–2011. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- Staff (2012). "Biography". the ne. The NE Inc. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- @HipHopCanada.com (20 September 2009). "Behind the scenes of Belly & Snoop "Hot Girl" video shoot [Photos]". HHC. HipHopCanada.com. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- Staff (2012). "The Remix Project Staff.". The Remix Project. The Remix Project. Retrieved 19 May 2012.