|Launched||September 20, 2010 (Block)
May 27, 2011 (Channel)
April 15, 2013 (Stand alone channel)
|Owned by||Raidió Teilifís Éireann (RTÉ)|
|Picture format||576i 16:9 (SDTV)|
|Slogan||"Hey! What's Your Thing?"|
|Sister channel(s)||RTÉ One
RTÉ News Now
|Saorsat||Ka-Sat 9A (9.0°E), TP 20185 L|
|Sky (Ireland)||Channel 624|
|Sky (NI only)||Channel 635|
|UPC Ireland||Channel 600|
|UPC Horizon||Watch live (Ireland only)|
|Aer TV||Watch live (Ireland only)|
|RTÉ Player||Watch live (available depending on rights)|
RTÉjr is a children's channel operated by Ireland's national broadcaster RTÉ Television, which targets a demographic between 2 – 6 years of age. The channel broadcasts 12 hours of programming each day between 07:00 and 19:00. The channel is available nationally through Saorview, UPC Ireland and Sky Ireland. The channel is supported by digital radio station RTÉ Junior and additional services available on-demand, on mobile and online. The channel operates alongside its sister strand TRTÉ.
On May 27, 2011 the programming block began to broadcast on its own channel without advertising on May 27, 2011 at 11:00. The programming block without advertising corresponds with RTÉ's internal policy of not advertising during programming aimed at children under 6 years of age, a policy started in the early 1990s. This policy was outline in RTÉ proposal for the new service and was followed by a request from the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources and BAI that programming on both RTÉjr and RTÉ News Now be ad free.
From April 15, 2013 The channel began a stand alone schedule, however plans to replace the RTÉjr block on RTÉ Two have yet to come to light. The channel broadcasts as a stand-alone channel with its own schedule and new programming. RTÉ Two will at some stage refocus its early morning schedule with more mature themed programming.
The channel is available to 98% of television viewers within the Republic of Ireland through Saorview. The channel became available on UPC Ireland on channel 600 on March 15, 2012 and on Sky Ireland on channel 624 (635 in NI) on April 15, 2013. Additionally, the channels programming can be viewed internationally through its on-demand service, mobile services and website.
The channel has a wide range of domestically produced programming either in-studio progrmaming or animations. It's flagship programme is hosted by Emma O'Driscoll and her puppet friend in Ógie. The channel has a strong focus on inclusive programming with a mix of programming in both the Irish, English and ISL languages. On May 3, 2011 RTÉjr broadcast the world's first animated series which focuses on the life and adventures of a girl with Down syndrome. The series is called Punky. The show is broadcast daily at 10:25 and 13:45. It started on Tuesday, 3 May 2011. The show has been designed by award winning Irish animation company Monster Animation and Design. On April 15, 2013 the channel hosts 14 newly commissioned programming including an bilingual show Spraoi, a dance show called Move It! and RTÉjr Workshop.
Other Original Programming on RTÉjr
- Dudson's Modern Tales
- Grubz Up
- Out the Back
- Fluffy Gardens
- Garth and Bev
- 3rd & Bird
- Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
- The Adventures of Bottle Top Bill and His Best Friend Corky
- Bananas in Pyjamas
- Bill and Ben
- Bob the Builder
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
- Choo-Choo Soul
- Corneil & Bernie
- Clang Invasion
- Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Clifford's Puppy Days
- Dudson's Modern Tales
- Everything's Rosie
- Fado Fado
- Gaspard et Lisa
- Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs
- Horrid Henry (on block only)
- Jake and the Never Land Pirates
- Kim Possible (on block only)
- Kid vs Kat (on block only)
- Lifeboat Luke
- Little Charlie Bear
- Looney Tunes (on block only)
- Max and Ruby
- Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
- Mickey's Farm
- Noddy In Toyland
- Peg + Cat (on block only)
- Penelope K, by the Way
- Peppa Pig
- Pepper Ann (on block only)
- Random! Cartoons
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated (on block only)
- Shaun the Sheep
- Soli & Mo's Nature Show
- Space Ace (on block only)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Timon & Pumbaa (on block only)
- Tinga Tinga Tales
- The Replacements (on block only)
- The WotWots
- Tilly and Friends
- The World of David the Gnome
- Urban Vermin
- What's With Andy
- Wibbly Pig
- Wild Kratts
- Wisdom of the Gnomes
- Watership Down
- Cúla 4 - Irish-language children's channel
- RTÉ Junior - RTÉ DAB radio station aimed at children.
- The Den
- Burke, Elaine (2013-04-10). "RTÉjr to become dedicated cross-platform kids’ channel on 15 April". Silicon Republic. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "RTÉ overhauls children's TV schedule". The Irish Times. 9 September 2010.
- "No children's TV on RTE 2 from next month". Newstalk. 2013-03-10. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "UPC forges ahead with new content from RTÉ". UPC Ireland. 13 March 2012. Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- "RTÉ launches new animation series Punky". RTÉ News. 28 April 2011.
- "‘Punky’ and ‘Gumball’ Arrive on TV Screens". IFTN. 2011-04-28. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "Monster Animation". Monster Animation. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- RTÉjr Website RTÉjr Television