RTÉ Player homepage
|Original author(s)||Raidió Teilifís Éireann (RTÉ)|
|Initial release||21 April 2009|
|Stable release||0.25.460.458 / 22 April 2012|
|Operating system||Requires Adobe Flash Player; available for:
Windows (XP and later)
Mac OS X iPhoneall models Android OS 2.3 or later)
PlayStation 3 PSP PS Vita
RTÉ Player is an on demand video service provided by Raidió Teilifís Éireann (RTÉ) for programmes broadcast on RTÉ Television. RTÉ Player is available in two formats; one for the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland and another format for international audiences. The service provides news, current affairs, entertainment, sport, local and international dramas.
On 2 September 2011, RTÉ announced they would launch a similar platform of their digital radio stations under the name RTÉ Radio Player.
More than 200 hours of programmes from all categories of RTÉ broadcast schedule are available on RTÉ Player, most of which are not available to web users outside the island of Ireland. But in January 2010, news, sport and flagship entertainment programming were released to world-wide audiences. According to RTÉ, it is "one of the first broadcasters in the world to launch a comprehensive international online TV catch-up service."
Popular soap operas are available on a 7 day catch-up basis, while home produced entertainment and children's programming is available for 21 days. All RTÉ News and Current Affairs output and RTÉ Sport shows including The Sunday Game, Monday Night Soccer and OB Sport are available.
In late 2009 RTÉ began putting more and more international programming on RTÉ Player. When initially launched RTÉ had already secured rights for online streaming for many British and Australian shows such as EastEnders and Home and Away. They then launched some American programmes with exclusive online showings of Season 1 and 2 of AMC's Mad Men. Other US shows soon followed such as Grey's Anatomy, Ugly Betty, Lost and Desperate Housewives and Blue Bloods.
An app for iPhone and iPad was launched on 22 December 2011. Despite all programs being available on Android via Adobe Flash, only a small selection of programs are available on the iPhone and iPad app.
RTÉ has been unable to show its popular soap opera Fair City on RTÉ Player for a number of months. An agreement had been made to allow the show appear on the service for a week after broadcast on RTÉ One; however, RTÉ are now in discussions with Actor's Equity to provide the show online in the near future. A statement on the Fair City website reads:
Fair City is currently unavailable to view on RTÉ Player. The programme was available for catch up on RTÉ Player for a 7 day period for a trial period only. This trial period has been brought to an end. As part of RTÉ's overall negotiations on contractor payment rates, discussions between RTÉ and the actors union Equity are underway. Unfortunately during this period live and on demand catch up of Fair City online is suspended. Fair City is broadcast on RTÉ One at 8pm on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, and at 7.30pm on Wednesday.
Fair City is now available to watch on the RTÉ Player for Ireland and international audiences.
RTÉ Beta Trial
RTÉ has recently launched a new beta trial for RTÉ ID users to check out and send feedback about the site.
The new beta site has the ability to add favorite shows, adjust viewing quality and also a new mobile site which currently doesn't have video on it but redirects to their iOS app.
The Beta Site has become the new look of the present RTÉ Player.
- "RTÉ Player: System Information". RTÉ Player. Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- RTÉ News http://www.rte.ie/player/#s=help&g=1000
|url=missing title (help).
- "RTÉ Player International". RTÉ News. 13 January 2010.
- Collins, John (22 April 2009). "RTÉ launches online 'catch-up' service". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- "RTE launches viewing-on-demand service". SiliconRepublic.com. 21 April 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- "UPC unveils On Demand TV for Ireland". UPC Ireland. 22 May 2012.
- "RTÉ Player geo-blocked outside Ireland". RTÉ News.[dead link]
- "RTÉ Player International". RTÉ News. 13 January 2010. Retrieved 13 January 2010.
- "RTÉ Player press release". RTÉ. 21 April 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- "RTÉ Player launches on iPhone and iPad". RTÉ Ten (Raidió Teilifís Éireann). 22 December 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- Hunt, Joanne (27 December 2011). "New Year's Eve broadcast to start RTÉ celebrations". The Irish Times (Irish Times Trust). Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- RTÉ News. 16 November 2009 http://www.rte.ie/tv/faircity/highlights.html
|url=missing title (help).