|Launched||25 December 1968|
|Owned by||Rádio e Televisão de Portugal|
|Audience share||1.9% (Week 47 '13, )|
|Slogan||"Quem Vê, Quer Ver"
Who watches, wants to watch.
|Formerly called||RTP Canal 2 (September 17, 1990 - 1992)
TV2 (1992 - April 29, 1996)
2: (January 5, 2004 - March 19, 2007)
|Digital||Channel 2 (Channel 1 in Azores and Madeira)|
|ZON TV||Channel 2|
|MEO Satélite||Channel 2|
|ZON TV||Channel 2|
|Optimus Clix TV||Channel 2|
|Vodafone Tv Net Voz||Channel 2|
RTP2 is the second television channel of Rádio e Televisão de Portugal, the Portuguese public broadcasting corporation. Commonly referred as the "Second Channel", or simply "Dois" (Portuguese for two), this historically state-run television channel started its regular broadcasting on December 25, 1968. Nowadays, RTP2 is a public service, advertising-free channel that serves as an alternative to the mainstream channel of RTP, RTP1.
Similar to BBC Two, RTP2 aims at less mainstream and more intellectual content. RTP2 is the only of several Portuguese and European national/international channels that has a strict cultural and educational programming (comparable to Arte). RTP2 is the only broadcaster from Portugal that broadcasts programming without interruptions, ad breaks or in line messaging. Together with sister channel RTP1, it became a 24-hour service in 2002.
RTP2's line-up is devoted to worldwide recognized quality television content, institutional EU/national programming or advertising, television series, cinematography, documentary films, theatre and classical music. This channel gathers 5%-7% share of the national audience (2007).
In 1990 a permanent, white and opaque DOG was introduced and the channel was renamed RTP Canal 2. The logotype was a handwritten "
2". Idents consisted mainly on several fruit chopped in the middle by the logotype, accompanied by synthesized pieces of music.
TV2 was renamed RTP2 on April 29, 1996, and the new logotype consisted of a white "2" in a light orange background, with the letters "RTP" underneath in white, overlaid in a dark blue background. RTP2 idents consisted mainly on the logotype flashed on several themes such as typewriters, stripes (a reference to the previous identity), a group of people dancing, accompanied by an orchestral channel tune with prominent harp, violin and cello arrangements. This ident collection and overall channel imagery continues to be, by far, one of the most original and creative ever made on Portuguese television.
RTP2 logo was changed again on January 28, 2002. Only one ident was used during the lifetime of this logotype, and consisted of a representation of the logo in white, with a dark orange background.
RTP2 identity and concept was replaced on January 5, 2004, 9 pm. "2:" became the name of the channel. 2:'s idents were CGI and accompanied by electronic and classical music, with prominent piano arrangements, as the channel's tune.
2: was again renamed RTP2 on March 2007, the new idents continued to be CGIs with vertical stripes, in various forms, as the main theme.
- 70x7 (religious talk-show)
- A Fé dos Homens (religious talk-show)
- Bairro Alto (arts talk-show)
- Sociedade Civil (different areas debate talk-show)
- Arquitectarte (architecture magazine)
- Artes de Rua (street arts, magazine)
- Bastidores (cinema magazine)
- Biosfera (environment and ecology magazine)
- Agora (arts magazine)
- Couto & Coutadas (hunt magazine)
- Da Terra ao Mar (agriculture magazine)
- Iniciativa (business development magazine)
- Universidades (universities magazine)
- Vida por Vida (fire fighters magazine)
- Clube de Jornalistas (journalism debate)
- Diga lá Excelência (debate)
- Eurodeputados (eurodeputy's debate)
- Olhar o Mundo (international news debate)
- Parlamento (deputy's debate)
- Sintese 24 Horas (was formerly the Jornal 2, Hoje and 24 Horas)
- Consigo (program)
- Nós (immigration program)
- Café Central
- A Noite do Óscar
- Zig Zag (children, teens' and young people's block broadcast on weekdays from 07:00 to 14:00, 17:00 to 18:30 and 19:30 to 20:30 and Saturday from 08:00 to 14:00.)
- Britcom (BBC comedy time slot)
- 2 Broke Girls (Duas Miúdas nas Lonas)
- Bones (Ossos)
- The Simpsons (Os Simpsons)
- Family Guy
- Rat-Man (Rato Mico)
- Brothers & Sisters (Irmãos e Irmãs)
- The Big Bang Theory (A Teoria do Big Bang)
- Two and a Half Men (Dois Homens e Meio)
- Sabrina, the Teenage Witch (Sabrina, a Bruxinha Adolescente or Sabrina, a Feiticeira)
- Everybody Hates Chris (Todos Contra o Chris)
- The Middle (No Meio do Nada)
- Mad Men
- Weeds (Erva)
- Grey's Anatomy (Anatomia de Grey)
- Supernatural (Sobrenatural)
- Lewis (Inspector Lewis)
- The Mentalist (O Mentalista)
- Private Practice (Clínica Privada)
- Shameless (No Limite)
- Nutri Ventures - The Quest for the 7 Kingdoms (Nutri Ventures: Em Busca dos 7 Reinos)
- Official Site (Portuguese)