|Soundtrack album by A.R.Rahman|
|Released||May 5, 2010|
|Recorded||Panchathan Record Inn and AM Studios, Chennai|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
Raavanan is the soundtrack album to the 2010 Indian Tamil film of the same name, written and directed by Mani Ratnam. It was released on May 5, 2010 by Sony Music. The music and background score were composed by Academy Award winning composer A. R. Rahman with lyrics penned Vairamuthu and Mani Ratnam. The same soundtrack was used for the Hindi version of the film, titled Raavan, which was launched on April 24. It was also dubbed and used in the Telugu version of the film, titled Villain. "Raavanan" was Rahman's second collaboration with actor Vikram after Pudhiya Mannargal (1994).
The soundtrack features 6 songs composed by A. R. Rahman and lyrics penned by Vairamuthu, except for the song "Veera", which was penned by Mani Ratnam himself. Five additional songs, which were featured in the movie was released as a collectors's edition special pack on 18 November 2010. One of these tracks Naan Varuvaen was later released as a music video titled Changing Seasons. A. R. Rahman himself wrote the lyrics for this track and made an impromptu performance during the audio launch. The choreography of the songs were done by Ganesh Acharya, Brinda, Shobhana and Astad Deboo. The soundtrack is especially noted for the use of rich instruments, Indian as well as Middle Eastern. Several new singers were introduced through this film.
All lyrics written by Vairamuthu except where noted.
|1.||"Veera" (lyrics by Mani Ratnam)||Vijay Prakash, Mustafa Kutoane
Additional vocals by Keerthi Sargathia, A. R. Rahman (uncredited)
Additional vocals by Mohammad Irfan Ali
|3.||"Kodu Poatta"||Benny Dayal||04:58|
|4.||"Kaattu Sirukki"||Shankar Mahadevan, Anuradha Sriram||05:54|
Backing vocals by Dr. Narayanan, Naresh Iyer, M. Kuldeep, Shweta Mohan, Gopika Purnima, Subhiksha, Sri Madhumita
|6.||"Keda Kari"||Benny Dayal, Bhagyaraj, A. R. Reihana, Tanvi Shah
Backing vocals by Suzanne D'Mello, Sujatha Majumdar, Nikitha Nigam, Dilshad Shaikh, R. N. Iyer, Arun Ingle, Chintamani Sohoni, Gowtham Bharadwaj
|7.||"Naan Varuvaen"||A. R. Rahman, Jali Fily Cissokho||04:59|
|8.||"Lament of The Leaves"||Bruno Conn||02:45|
|9.||"Restless Mystic" (played by Seenu)||Instrumental||01:19|
|10.||"Yaaro Yevalo"||Chinnaponnu, Sangeetha||03:18|
The Telugu version, titled Villain, features six songs from the standard listing in Telugu language. The lyrics were penned by late Veturi Sundararama Murthy and it was one of his last released works.
All lyrics written by Veturi Sundararama Murthy.
|1.||"Veera"||Vijay Prakash, Mustafa Kutoane
(Additional vocals by Keerthi Sargathia, A. R. Rahman (uncredited))
(Additional vocals by Mohammad Irfan Ali)
|3.||"Kullu Pudithe"||Devi Sri Prasad, Benny Dayal||04:58|
|4.||"Kaanala Chilaka"||Anuradha Sriram, Naresh Iyer||05:54|
|6.||"Gudaa Gudaa"||Bhagyaraj, Tanvi Shah, Suvi, Shubha, Naresh Iyer, Sangeetha||05:11|
- Navin Kumar – flute
- Deepak P. A. - oud, guitar
- Seenu– oud
- Balesh – shehnai
- Asad khan - sitar
- T. Raja, Kumar, Vedachalam, Neelakandan, Lakshminarayanan, Chinna Prasad - percussions
- Producers: A. R. Rahman
- Engineers: Deepak P. A., T. R. Krishna Chetan, Hentry Kuruvilla, Vivianne Chaix, Suresh Perumal, Srinidhi Venkatesh, S. Sivakumar, Kannan Ganpat, Pradeep
- String engineer: V. J. Srinivasamurthy
- Mixing: K. J. Singh, Deepak P. A.
- Mastering: S. Sivakumar
- Programming: T. R. Krishna Chetan, Deepak P. A., Hentry Kuruvilla
The soundtrack for the movie has received positive reviews, with most reviewers hailing the album to be one of Rahman's best recent works,though it did not win any awards for the year. Karthik of Milliblog praised the renditioning of "Kalvare" by Shreya Ghoshal and stated that "Keda Kari" was "a fantastic effort".
- Indiaglitz (2010). "‘Raavanan’ music soft launched". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 2010-05-05.
- RadioandMusic (2010). "Sony Music on acquisition spree, laps up five projects". RadioandMusic. Retrieved 2010-04-27.
- "Raavanan Collector's edition is released". 60024.com. 2010. Retrieved 18 November 2010.
- "Raavanan additional tracks". A.R.Rahman Official website. 2010.
- Moviebuzz (22 April 2010). "Sony Music grabs Raavanan audio!". Sify. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- RadioandMusic (2010). "T-Series gets audio rights of Rahman's Raavan". RadioandMusic. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- Karthik (4 May 2010). "Raavanan (Music review – random thoughts)". Milliblog. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- "Music Aloud review"
- "Behindwoods review"
- "Rediff review"