Race Point Light
Race Point Light from a 1911 postcard
|Year first constructed||1816|
|Year first lit||1876 (current structure)|
|Construction||Iron plate with brick interior|
|Markings / pattern||White with black lantern|
|Height||45 feet (14 m)|
|Focal height||41 feet (12 m) above mean sea level|
|Original lens||Fourth-order Fresnel lens|
|Range||16 nautical miles (30 km; 18 mi)|
|Characteristic||Fl W 10s|
Race Point Light Station
|Location||Race Point Beach, Provincetown, Massachusetts|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Governing body||COAST GUARD|
|MPS||Lighthouses of Massachusetts TR|
|NRHP Reference #||87001482|
|Added to NRHP||June 15, 1987|
Race Point Light is a historic lighthouse on Cape Cod, in Provincetown, Massachusetts. It was first established in 1816, the third light on Cape Cod (after Highland Light (1797) and Chatham Light (1808)). The original light was a 25 feet (7.6 m) rubblestone tower that featured one of the earliest rotating beacons, which distinguished it from others on Cape Cod. In 1858 the light got a fourth order Fresnel lens and, in 1874, a second keeper's quarters. In 1875, after significant deterioration of the original tower, it was replaced with an iron tower lined with brick. The original keeper's house was rebuilt as part of the project. The station was electrified in 1957. The larger keeper's house was removed in 1960 and the other was updated.
Race Point Light was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Race Point Light Station on June 15, 1987, reference number 87001482.
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Massachusetts". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office. 2009-09-07.
- United States Coast Guard (2009). Light List, Volume I, Atlantic Coast, St. Croix River, Maine to Shrewsbury River, New Jersey. p. 6.
- Rowlett, Russ (2009-09-07). "Lighthouses of the United States: Southeast Massachusetts". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- Race Point Lighthouse, official website, with online reservations
- Race Point Light Station – National Park Service website, featured in Maritime History of Massachusetts — A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
|This article relating to a United States lighthouse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article is about a historic property or district in Barnstable County, Massachusetts, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|