|EP by Big Black|
|Genre||Noise punk, post-hardcore|
|Label||Homestead, Touch and Go|
|Big Black chronology|
Racer-X was the first of Big Black's records to cement their instrumental lineup of two guitars, one bass guitar and a Roland TR-606 drum machine. It was the final album to feature the bass playing of Jeff Pezzati who left to dedicate more time on his primary band Naked Raygun.
Like Big Black's first 2 EPs, the original record contained just six songs (five by Big Black, one by James Brown) clocking in at under 20 minutes total.
The song "Il Duce" (about Benito Mussolini) was recorded in the same session as the songs from the Racer-X EP. The song was released the following year as a 7" single backed with "Big Money" from the Atomizer LP. Homestead records also issued a promotional 12" version of the single with "Il Duce" and "Big Money" on the A-side, plus three live tracks on the B-side.
The original EP featured cover art by Nate Kaatrud (better known as National Kato) from the band Urge Overkill. When Touch and Go reissued the EP in 1992, the original artwork could not be found and a new cover was produced.
The Japandroids covered "Racer-X" during their Dec 15, 2009 Daytrotter session. Of “Racer X” they say this:
We’re recording a 7-inch in January and this going to be the B-side. This song was originally done by Big Black and came out on the Racer-X EP in 1984. Our version is pretty good, but the original is a masterpiece.
- "Racer-X" - 4:01
- "Shotgun" - 3:28
- "The Ugly American" - 2:41
- "Deep Six" - 3:14
- "Sleep!" - 2:42
- "The Big Payback" (James Brown)- 2:29
- Steve Albini: guitar, vocals
- Santiago Durango: guitar
- Jeff Pezzati: bass
- Roland: Roland
- John Bonhen: saxophone on "The Ugly American"
Recorded by Iain Burgess in Chicago.
- Kellman, Andy. "allmusic ((( Racer-X > Review )))". Allmusic. Retrieved March 17, 2010.
- Brackett, Nathan. "Big Black". The New Rolling Stone Album Guide. November 2004. pg. 69, cited March 17, 2010
- Christgau, Robert. "Big Black". robertchristgau.com, Retrieved on March 17, 2010.
- Scaruffi, Piero. "Big Black". pieroscaruffi.com (Italian). Retrieved on March 17, 2010.
- Anti, Obik. "Big Black: Racer X". Big Black, from pre-history to present. Retrieved 24 December 2012.