Ames in 1973.
November 2, 1929 |
Portland, Oregon, U.S.
|Years active||1951-2007, 2009, 2013|
|Spouse(s)||Barry Cahill (1968-2012)|
Rachel Ames (born November 2, 1929 in Portland, Oregon) is an American actress. She is the longest-running performer on ABC's daytime serial, General Hospital, playing Audrey Hardy, R.N. from 1964 to 2007. She also played Audrey Hardy on the General Hospital spin-off series Port Charles. Her contract was not renewed for General Hospital in 2003, but she still appeared as a recurring character from 2003 until 2007, and made a brief appearance in 2009. On February 13,2013 Genie Francis (Laura Spencer) announced on Katie that Ames will return to the show on March 29, 2013.
In the early years of her acting career, she was credited as "Judith Ames".
In 1997, she appeared on ABC's special two-hour primetime preview of new daytime series Port Charles, a spin-off of the long-running Emmy winning hit General Hospital. Ames played her signature role of Audrey Hardy.
Ames has also had dozens of TV guest-starring appearances (almost all before General Hospital) on series such as The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, The Virginian, Ironside, Wagon Train, Ben Casey, Perry Mason, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and six different appearances on Science Fiction Theater.
Personal life and retirement
Ames is the daughter of actress Dorothy Adams and actor Byron Foulger. She and her late husband, Canadian-born actor Barry Cahill, have two daughters, Christine and Susan, and two grandchildren, Jocelyn and Marc. Cahill died in April 2012, after forty-two years of marriage.
In 2007, Ames retired from General Hospital after 43 years. However, it was announced on October 1, 2009, that she would reappear as Audrey in mid-October after a two-year absence from the show. Ames reprised Audrey again in April 2013, to coincide with General Hospital's 50th anniversary. This gave Ames the distinction of being the only General Hospital cast member to appear on the show on six separate decades.
- General Hospital as Audrey March Hardy (February 23, 1964 - March 23, 2007; October 19, 2009 - October 20, 2009; April 1, 2013 - April 2, 2013)
- Port Charles - Audrey March Hardy (June 1, 1997 to 1998)
- Ironside - Carolyn Channing (1969)
- Wagon Train - Florence Yeager (1964)
- Ben Casey (1964)
- Arrest and Trial (1964)
- Wagon Train - Emily Dawson (1963)
- Wanted: Dead or Alive as Sarah Buchanan in "Angels of Vengeance" (1959) and as Ellie Morgan in "The Corner" (1958): credited as Judith Ames.
- The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp as Miss Nancy in "The Schoolteacher" (March 11, 1958)
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents in "The Hidden Thing" (1956)
- Science Fiction Theater--Y.O.R.D. (1955)