October 22, 1971
Tempe, Arizona, United States
|Spouse(s)||Sean Duffy (4 April 1999-present)|
Rachel Campos-Duffy (née Campos. born October 22, 1971) is an American television personality who first gained fame in 1994 as a castmate on the MTV reality television series The Real World: San Francisco, before becoming a TV host, most notably as a recurring guest host on the ABC talk show The View.
Rachel Campos was born in Tempe, Arizona to Maria del Pilar and Miguel Campos. She has two brothers, one of whom is named Patrick. Her sister Leah Campos Schandlbauer ran for Congress in Arizona Campos and her sister were raised in a strict Catholic home.
Campos graduated from Arizona State University in December 1993 with a degree in Economics. She was awarded the Woodrow Wilson Graduate Fellowship, which she had planned to use to attend graduate school, with the goal of being a college professor. Campos earned a master's degree in international affairs from the University of California at San Diego.
The Real World: San Francisco
Campos was cast on The Real World: San Francisco in January 1994, and lived in the house on Russian Hill in San Francisco with her six housemates from February 12 to June 19. The season premiered on July 6, 1994.
Although the castmates were informed ahead of time that they would be living with someone who was HIV-positive, they were not informed which housemate it would be. On the cast's first night in the house, Campos’ housemate, AIDS educator Pedro Zamora, informed the housemates that he had AIDS by showing them his scrapbook of his career as an HIV educator. Campos felt uncomfortable and initially distanced herself from Zamora, stating that she wanted to know how his health status would affect her. However, she said nothing to the other housemates for fear of appearing homophobic. Although Zamora took this as an act of rejection on her part, the two eventually became friends, with Zamora traveling to Arizona with Campos to visit her family. During her time on the series, she had both a romantic relationship and tumultuous friendship with housemate David "Puck" Rainey. Judd Winick attributed this attraction on her part to her taste for rebellious men, or "bad boys". Campos conceded this, and admitted that she was sometimes an initial bad judge of character, and too trusting. Campos' friendship with Rainey eventually dissolved, as did Rainey's friendship with the rest of the cast, resulting in his eviction. Campos subsequently became best friends with Rainey's replacement, Joanna Rhodes, and the two of them were referred to by Winick as "high maintenance twins".
On the show and in MTV's promotional materials for the show, Campos was depicted as a passionate Republican, whose heroes included Jack Kemp, and as a Catholic, though she conceded her strict religious upbringing fostered within her a rebellious streak that sometimes brought her into conflict with her parents. Her political viewpoints led to conflict with her housemates on more than one occasion, as when Mohammed Bilal ridiculed the Republican housing ideas that she expressed in Episode 3. In Episode 18, after Campos invited her housemates to a College Republicans function, self-described liberal Winick opined that the speakers at the function were sexist, homophobic, and racist, a view to which Campos objected as unfair.
After The Real World
She earned her master's degree in international affairs from the University of California at San Diego.
She thrice vied for a role on the daytime television talk show The View. After Debbie Matenopoulos left the show in 1999, Campos competed in an on-air try-out with Lisa Ling and Lauren Sánchez. Ling was eventually hired. After Ling's departure in 2002, Campos—who by then held her own "coffee talk" show with other Wisconsin housewives—again competed in a week-long on-air try-out, this time against Erin Hershey Presley and Elisabeth Hasselbeck. In November 2003 Hasselbeck was hired to replace Lisa Ling . In July 2013 when Hasselbeck left The View to replace Gretchen Carlson as the female co-host of Fox & Friends, Campos once again tried out. Jenny McCarthy was hired.
After her stint on The Real World ended, while the fifth season of the show (set in Miami) was being filmed, Campos was involved in a head-on car collision after the driver of an oncoming vehicle fell asleep at the wheel. Campos' boyfriend and his friend, who was driving their rented car, died in the accident. Campos was thrown out of the passenger-side window and sustained serious injuries to her right leg that caused permanent long-term problems such as arthritis, a limp and difficulty running.
In 2011 Duffy became a Republican member of Congress for the 7th district of Wisconsin. The Duffys moved from Ashland to Weston, Wisconsin in late 2011, and in 2013 they moved to Wausau, Wisconsin so that Sean would be closer to an airport for his weekly commute to Washington, D.C. where he spends three or four days a week.
They have six children: Evita Pilar (October 1, 1999), Xavier Jack (November 2001), Lucia-Belen (April 2004), John-Paul(2006), Paloma Pilar (May 18, 2008) and MariaVictoria Margarita (April 1, 2010).
On March 5, 2014 while guest co hosting The View she announced she was six months pregnant with her seventh child.
In popular culture
- The View - Episode: March 6 (2014) Guest Co-Host
- The View - Episode: March 5 (2014) Guest Co-Host
- The View - Episode: October 12 (2009) Guest Co-Host
- The View - Episode: November 4 (2003) Guest Co-Host
- The Wedding Video (2003)
- The Real World Movie: The Lost Season (2002)
- The Real World Reunion 2000 (2000)
- The Real World You Never Saw: Boston + Seattle (1998)
- Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Road Rules: All-Stars (1998)
- The Real World You Never Saw (1997)
- The Real World Reunion: Inside Out (1996)
- The Real World Reunion (1995)
- The Real World Vacations: Behind the Scenes (1995) Hostess
- The Real World: San Francisco (1994)
- Campos-Duffy, Rachel (December 19, 2007). "I'm Expecting My 5th: What To Make Of The Trend In Bigger Families". Parent Dish.
- Rachel Campos. Mooviees.com. Retrieved December 1, 2011
- "Rebel, Rebel". The Real World: San Francisco. Season 3. Episode 12. September 15, 1994. MTV. http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/357855/uneasy.jhtml#id=1607568.
- "Leah Campos Schandlbauer: Mother of Four, CIA Operations Officer Declares for Congress in District 9". Sonoran Alliance. March 26, 2012. "Campos Schandlbauer is the daughter of Maria dal Pilar and Miguel Campos, who raised their four children at Air Force bases..."
- "Love Stinks". The Real World: San Francisco. Season 3. Episode 2. July 7, 1994. MTV. http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/357656/saint-pucks-day.jhtml#id=1607523.
- Campos-Duffy, Rachel. Stay Home, Stay Happy: 10 Secrets to Loving At-Home Motherhood. Celebra Trade. 2009. Acknowledgements. ISBN 0-451-22807-3
- Pabst, Georgia (May 11, 2013). "Rachel Campos-Duffy balances motherhood with activism". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- "The Real World: San Francisco: Cast: Rachel". MTV.com. June 1993. Retrieved September 7, 2013.
- Winick, Judd (2000). Pedro and Me: Friendship, Loss and What I Learned. Henry Holt. pp. 61 and 119.
- Winick (2000). pp. 30, 63-64.
- "Planes, Trains and Paddywagons". The Real World: San Francisco. Season 3. Episode 1. July 6, 1994. MTV. http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/357648/questions.jhtml#id=1607521.
- "Kiss and Tell". The Real World: San Francisco. Season 3. Episode 10. September 1, 1994. MTV. http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/357846/love-triangle.jhtml#id=1607563.
- The Real World Diaries. MTV Books/Pocket Books. 1996. pp. 146-147.
- "Getting Dropped". The Real World: San Francisco. Season 3. Episode 11. September 8, 1994. MTV. http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/357851/talking-in-circles.jhtml#id=1607566.
- Their rapport is mentioned in Episodes 14, 17 and 18. Winick uses the term during the bicycling trip in Episode 17.
- "Just Friends". The Real World: San Francisco. Season 3. Episode 18. October 27, 1994. MTV. http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/358223/putting-up-a-wall.jhtml#id=1607634.
- "White Like Me". The Real World: San Francisco. Season 3. Episode 3. July 14, 1994. MTV. http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/358223/putting-up-a-wall.jhtml#id=1607634.
- Rosenblit, Rachel (March 21, 2013). "TV & Movies Who will replace Joy Behar on 'The View'? ABC eyes Kathy Griffin, Brooke Shields, Gloria Estefan and others as contenders". Daily News (New York).
- "The Cast". The Wedding Video. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- Campos-Duffy, Rachel (September 9, 2009). "Gory Texting PSA is Good for Teens". ParentDish. HuffPost Parents.
- Campos-Duffy, Rachel (November 12, 2007). "Moms Rule at N.Y. Marathon- Inspiration or Bad Example?". ParentDish. HuffPost Parents.
- "Sean Duffy mentioned this during the 2008 ''Real Worlds Awards Bash''". MTV.com. April 7, 2008.
- Olivo, Rick (October 19, 2011). "Mr. Duffy moves to Weston". HaywardWI.com.
- Salvatore, Rosanne. "'The Real World' cast members: Where are they now?". Daily News (New York) April 1, 2011. p. 10 of 44
- "Rachel Campos-Duffy Welcomes Daughter Maria Victoria Margarita". People. April 16, 2010
- "Sean and Rachel Campos-Duffy welcome fifth child, daughter Paloma Pilar". People. May 20, 2008
- "Untitled". The View. Season 17. Episode 117. March 5, 2014. ABC.
- "Cast and Crew". Pedro, a real world story about Pedro Zamora. Retrieved September 3, 2013.