Roy at the 2012 Tribeca Film Festival
January 15, 1974 |
Monterey, California, United States
|Residence||New York City, New York|
|Education||Washington Adventist University|
|Labels||Rachel Roy, RACHEL Rachel Roy and Rachel Roy Signature|
Rachel Roy (born January 15, 1974) is an American fashion designer who was born and raised in California.
Personal life 
Roy was born on January 15, 1974 in California. She was raised with her brother Rajendra Roy, now the Chief Film Curator of the Museum of Modern Art in New York. She is of mixed racial ancestry, her mother is Dutch and her father is Indian.
Rachel Roy grew up in California, and attended Seaside High School along the Monterey Peninsula in Northern California. She attended Columbia Union College and Washington Adventist University in Takoma Park, Maryland majoring in Liberal Arts. Roy graduated in 1996. After graduation, she moved to New York to continue her work in retail, as well as work as a stylist.
Roy has two daughters with Damon Dash, Ava born December 7, 1999 and Tallulah born May 14, 2008. She and Dash were married from 2005 to 2009.  In 2011, there was speculation that she and Dwight Freeney were dating. 
Fashion career 
Rachel's first job in fashion was at a Contempo Casuals clothing outlet in her hometown at age 14. After college, she came to New York City, where she worked as a stylist for magazines and music videos. She became an intern at the urban fashion line Rocawear, where she rose to become creative director of the women's and children's divisions and also met her future husband, Damon Dash. In 2005 she launched her own eponymous fashion collection.
In early 2006 Roy received a Bollywood industry award for her contribution to American fashion. Roy has also appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show. In 2007, Roy was inducted into the Council of Fashion Designers of America. 
Rachel has also seen publicity through the teen market, including at Teen Vogue magazine. In their April 2009 issue, Rachel does a “how-to” where she transforms a regular t-shirt into a punky prom dress.
In August 2009, Roy launched The RACHEL Rachel Roy collection, an affordable diffusion line of sportswear, shoes and accessories. The label "RACHEL Rachel Roy" is available exclusively at Macy’s in the United States and at the Bay in Canada.
In summer 2009, Rachel Roy and Grammy-Award winning British pop-singer Estelle announced their collaboration on a jewelry line for the Spring 2010 RACHEL Rachel Roy collection via Roy’s Twitter feed. Roy designed a capsule collection in partnership with model Jessica Stam, for Macy’s stores and RachelRoy.com in Fall 2010.
Celebrity clients 
- Khatun, Shazida (2011-02-17). "ASIAN MODELS FACES: Asian Models Faces Rachel Roy Is Only Indian Origin Fashion Designer Cum Model Is Choiced By The American First Lady". Asianmodelsfaces.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- Moving On: Has Designer Rachel Roy Found A New Beau?”.
- "RachelRoy.com". RachelRoy.com. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "Oprah.com". Oprah.com. 2006-01-01. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- Rachel Roy. "CFDA". CFDA. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "Fancy That". Teen Vogue. Retrieved April 10, 2009.
- "Jones Apparel Group Launches Rachel Roy Diffusion Brand Exclusive to Macy's, Inc.". PR Newswire. Retrieved December 10, 2010.
- "ALL A TWITTER: Rachel Roy will partner with Estelle to create a jewelry line". WWD. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- "Rachel Roy Taps Jessica Stam to Help Design". NY. Retrieved March 5, 2010.
- "Home - Mrs.O - Follow the Fashion and Style of First Lady Michelle Obama". Mrs.O. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "Style.com". Style.com. Retrieved 2012-05-15.