Roy at the 2012 Tribeca Film Festival
January 15, 1974 |
Monterey, California, United States
|Residence||New York City, New York|
|Education||Washington Adventist University|
|Labels||Rachel Roy, RACHEL Rachel Roy and Rachel Roy Signature|
Rachel Roy (born January 15, 1974) is an American fashion designer.
Early life and education
Roy grew up in California, and attended Seaside High School along the Monterey Peninsula in Northern California. She attended Columbia Union College (also called Washington Adventist University) in Takoma Park, Maryland and left to move to New York where she worked in retail.
Roy's first job in fashion was at age 14, at a Contempo Casuals clothing outlet in her hometown. After college, she came to New York City, where she worked as a stylist for magazines and music videos. She became an intern at urban fashion line Rocawear, where she rose to the position of creative director of the women's and children's divisions and met her future husband Damon Dash. In 2005 Roy launched her eponymous fashion collection.
In early 2006, Roy received a Bollywood industry award for her contribution to American fashion. Roy has also appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show. In 2007, Roy was inducted into the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
In August 2009, Roy launched The RACHEL Rachel Roy collection, an affordable diffusion line of sportswear, shoes and accessories. The label "RACHEL Rachel Roy" is available exclusively at Macy’s in the United States and at The Bay in Canada.
In summer 2009, Roy and Grammy Award-winning British pop singer Estelle announced via Roy’s Twitter feed their collaboration on a jewelry line for the Spring 2010 RACHEL Rachel Roy collection. Roy designed a capsule collection in partnership with model Jessica Stam for Macy’s stores and RachelRoy.com in Fall 2010.
Roy has two daughters with rapper Damon Dash: Ava, born December 7, 1999 and Tallulah, born May 14, 2008. She and Dash married in 2005. She filed for divorce in 2009. In April 2015, Roy was awarded sole physical custody of both daughters and Roy and her two daughters were granted three-year restraining orders against Damon Dash. After she won custody, Dash accused her of domestic violence and sued her for $25 million.
Roy's "close friendship" with rapper Jay-Z is said to have been at the heart of the infamous 2014 elevator incident, in which leaked CCTV footage emerged of Solange Knowles, sister of R&B sensation and Jay-Z's wife Beyonce, ferociously attacking her brother-in-law from inside an elevator in the The Standard, High Line hotel. Solange, furious with Roy over the designer’s "too close for comfort" friendship with Beyonce's husband, allegedly took Roy to task at the Met Gala after-party in the hotel's Boom Boom Room. Solange, along with Beyonce and Jay-Z, then abruptly left, after which the incident took place.
- Alisha Petro (March 22, 2012). "Oprah loves her. Michelle Obama does too. How Seaside’s own Rachel Roy became one of the hottest names in New York.". Monterey County Weekly. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- Sierra Tishgart (2012). "9 Fashion Designers on How They Chose Their College and Major". Teen Vogue. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- "RachelRoy.com". RachelRoy.com. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "Oprah.com". Oprah.com. 2006-01-01. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- Rachel Roy. "CFDA". CFDA. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "Fancy That". Teen Vogue. Retrieved April 10, 2009.
- "Jones Apparel Group Launches Rachel Roy Diffusion Brand Exclusive to Macy's, Inc.". PR Newswire. Retrieved December 10, 2010.
- "ALL A TWITTER: Rachel Roy will partner with Estelle to create a jewelry line". WWD. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- "Rachel Roy Taps Jessica Stam to Help Design". NY. Retrieved March 5, 2010.
- "Home - Mrs.O - Follow the Fashion and Style of First Lady Michelle Obama". Mrs.O. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "Style.com". Style.com. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "Damon Dash accuses Rachel Roy of threatening his life and stealing $20K worth of his jewelry"
- "Moving On: Has Designer Rachel Roy Found A New Beau?".
- "Solange Knowles attacked Jay Z after designer Rachel Roy got too close to rapper at Met Gala after-party".