Rachell Sumpter (born 1972, Los Angeles) is an American artist working in Seattle, Washington. A graduate of the Art Center College of Design, Sumpter has exhibited widely, including solo exhibitions at Richard Heller Gallery (L.A.), Hosfelt Gallery (N.Y.) and Motel (Portland). Her work has also been showcased in group exhibitions at Jack Hanley Gallery (S.F.), the Orange County Museum of Art and LACMA, among others. She currently teaches color theory, illustration and drawing at Seattle Pacific University and has been the artist in residence at O, The Oprah Magazine for over three years.
In addition to her fine artwork, Sumpter also maintains a commercial illustration practice. Her ongoing work with Dave Eggers and McSweeney’s can be seen in the cover art for Zeitoun and What is the What. Her other clients include Chronicle Books, Penguin Books, Random House and the New York Times.
Sumpter has received numerous awards for her art and illustration:
- Communication Arts
- AIGA 365
- New York Society of Illustrators
- Los Angeles Society of Illustrators
- Art Directors Club
- Samsung Endowment Scholarship
- Richard Heller Gallery (2009-2-21). "Rachell Sumpter: Molten Kin".
- Richard Heller Gallery (4/7/2007). "Rachell Sumpter".
- Rudick, Nicole. "Rachell Sumpter". Artforum.
- Itzkoff, Dave. "Animated Film Planned of Katrina Book". The New York Times.
- "Rejected Covers: Rachell Sumpter Discusses Designing Penguin Threads Book Cover 'The Wizard Of Oz'". Huffington Post. 4/24/12.