Rachelle Ann Go
|Rachelle Ann Go|
|Birth name||Rachelle Ann Villalobos Go|
|Also known as||Shin|
August 31, 1986 |
Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines
|Genres||P-pop, pop rock, R&B, broadway|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, actress, model|
|Instruments||Vocals, drums, guitar, piano, bass, violin|
Rachelle Ann Villalobos Go (born August 31, 1986) is a Filipino singer, model and actress who won in several singing contests, the first of which was in Eat Bulaga! at age eleven. She rose to fame when she emerged as the Grand Champion of the reality talent search Search for a Star in 2004. She has been managed by VIVA Artist Agency.
In July 2004, Go released her self-titled debut album with the singles "Love of My Life" and a remake of "Don't Cry Out Loud". It also includes her own cover version of Selena's "Dreaming of You".
Go has performed in musicals as well: her debut in The Little Mermaid, playing as the role of Ariel during 2011 - where she won a Best Actress award from Broadway World Philippine Awards; and another in 2013 for Tarzan, playing as the role of Jane Porter. Go's theater career continues as she was cast for the 2014 West End revival of the hit musical Miss Saigon, for the role of Gigi Van Tranh. Following this, She was cast for the 30th anniversary staging of "Les Miserables" to play the role of Fantine.
- 1 Childhood
- 2 Music career
- 2.1 Eat Bulaga: "Birit Baby"
- 2.2 2003-2004: Search For A Star | Debut Album | Shanghai Music Festival
- 2.3 2005-2007: Pinoy Idols: Return Of The Champions | I Care | Obsession | You and Me Valentine Concert
- 2.4 2008-2009: Rachelle Ann ROCKS Live! | Falling In Love Album and Concert
- 2.5 2010-2011: Transfer to GMA 7 Network | Unbreakable | The Little Mermaid Musical
- 2.6 2012-2013: RAG: Rise Against Gravity Concert | Miss Saigon Audition | Tarzan Musical
- 2.7 2014: Miss Saigon | Miss Rachelle: The Send Off Concert
- 2.8 2015: International Awards | Disney | Cinderella | Les Miserables
- 3 Other International Activities
- 4 Artistry
- 5 Albums
- 6 Concerts
- 7 Filmography
- 8 Awards and nominations
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Rachelle Ann Go was born on August 31, 1986. She is the daughter of Mr. Oscar Go and Mrs. Russel Villalobos-Go and the eldest of four children. She studied Pre-school level to Secondary level at La Immaculada Concepcion School (L.I.C.S) in Pasig City. She was a choir member of the said school as well. Her two younger brothers also studied at La Immaculada Concepcion School (L.I.C.S), while her youngest sister is currently studying in the said school.
She took up International Business and Entrepreneurship program at San Beda College but had to stop because she joined Search for a Star in GMA 7. In 2008, Rachelle Ann Go, passed the University of the Philippines OPEN University entrance exam and enrolled.
Eat Bulaga: "Birit Baby"
She joined and won several contests. Her television debut on Eat Bulaga!, a hit noon-time variety show, happened when she was just eleven. She competed in the show's contest "Birit Baby" where young aspirants belt out vocally challenging songs, she sang Céline Dion's version of "All By Myself". She lost to Musica Cristobal in this competition thus getting the 1st runner up position.
2003-2004: Search For A Star | Debut Album | Shanghai Music Festival
In 2003, Go auditioned for a talent search show on GMA-7, Search for a Star. She passed the auditions and made it as one of the twelve finalists. On March 13, 2004 Rachelle was announced as the grand champion singing her rendition of Mariah Carey's "Through the Rain". After the contest, she transfers to ABS-CBN. Several weeks from winning, she collaborated with Philippine rap group Salbakuta for a cover of the Laura Branigan 1980s hit "Gloria"; she then released it as a CD single and became an instant hit. Rachelle performed the song with the group in the Malacañang Palace, alluding President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
In July 2004, Go released her self-titled debut album with the singles "Love of My Life" and a remake of "Don't Cry Out Loud". It also includes her own cover version of Selena's "Dreaming of You"., She was then part of the Night Of The Champions U.S. Tour opposite Sarah Geronimo and Erik Santos. She then released a duet with Christian Bautista entitled "You And Me (We Wanted It All)". She is also under the management of VIVA Entertainment Group and is part of ABS-CBN, The Kapamilya Network'. She was involved in variety shows such as ASAP and ASAP Fanatic
During November 2004, Go represented the Philippines in the Shanghai Music Festival where she placed as the silver-medalist for her rendition of a Vehnee Saturno-penned song, "From the Start", which won Best Song followed by an astonishing breakthrough in the 2004 Astana Song Festival as she took an award as silver awardee and for the Best Own Country Song for her version of the song, "Isang Lahi."
2005-2007: Pinoy Idols: Return Of The Champions | I Care | Obsession | You and Me Valentine Concert
In 2005, she was named the Best Promising Female Singer by the Guillermo Mendoza Memorial Scholarship Foundation, an award giving body recognizing the year's best. On April 29, 2005, she earned top-billing on her very first major solo concert hailed as Rachelle Ann Go, The Ultimate Champion. It was Go's breakaway feat from just being part of the Champions Circle. In here she instituted her mark as a solo recording and performing artist. One of the most notable points of the show was Go's take on Regine Velasquez's R2K Concert airborne act, where she was suspended in mid-air as she opened her show. Later that summer Rachelle reunited with her fellow champions for what was to be their last ensemble concert performance to date. The show entitled Pinoy Idols: Return Of The Champions is a series of shows in the United States. The two-month tour featured Rachelle with contemporaries Sarah Geronimo, Christian Bautista, Mark Bautista, Frenchie Dy and other winners of reality singing competitions.
On November 2005, Go released her second album, I Care, under VIVA Records. At the same time, she hosted the second season of the reality show Search for a Star alongside her fellow champs Erik Santos, Sheryn Regis, and Mark Bautista. The album reached Gold status selling 15,000 copies nationwide. The theme song included on the official soundtrack, "Perhaps Love" (Hangul: 사랑인가요, originally sung by J and Howl), was also translated into Tagalog as "Pag-ibig Nga Kaya" and performed by Christian Bautista and Rachelle Ann Go with permission from MBC. The show's finale was aired on April 10, 2007, with ABS-CBN airing the Princess Hours: The Royal Special for two days, April 11 and 12, with both Bautista and Go as hosts.
Early 2007, she released her third album entitled Obsession with her label, VIVA Records. Two singles were released: "Don' Say Goodbye" and "Alam ng Ating mga Puso". Also during this year, she and her ex-boyfriend, Christian Bautista, performed at the Aliw Theater for their You and Me Valentine Concert which was produced by ASAP Live!. They also had a world tour with the same title.
2008-2009: Rachelle Ann ROCKS Live! | Falling In Love Album and Concert
On April 2008, she released her fourth album under VIVA Records (also her first live album) entitled Rachelle Ann ROCKS Live!. The album reached Gold status after seven months. Her carrier single, Honestly, became an instant hit and she won the 3rd IFM Award for the Song of the Year and Favorite Female Performer.
In January 2009, she released her fifth album entitled Falling In Love under VIVA Records. It was awarded the Gold Certification by VIVA Music and PARI for outstanding sales of more than 15,000 units. Rachelle Ann Go also held a concert entitled "Rachelle Ann Go Falling In Love" at the Music Museum. Some guests are Mr. Martin Nievera, Mr. Gary and Gab Valenciano, Mr. Ogie Alcasid, Mr. Richard Poon and Co-Champion, Mr. Christian Bautista.
2010-2011: Transfer to GMA 7 Network | Unbreakable | The Little Mermaid Musical
On April 7, 2010, Rachelle Ann and her manager, Ms. Veronique del Rosario-Corpus of Viva Artist Agency, signed an exclusive contract at the GMA Network Center. Rachelle's first project with the Kapuso network is the Sunday musical-variety show Party Pilipinas, where she joined fellow Viva artist Mark Bautista.
For the second half of 2011, Rachelle Ann Go released her sixth album entitled Unbreakable, with "Masasabi Mo Ba" as the first single and her own composition, "Whispered Fear" as her second single. She also appeared in the GMA 7 drama series Nita Negrita, as Amanda. She was also able to be a mentor in Protégé: The Battle For The Big Break, reality-based singing talent show. Rachelle Ann Go debuted musical theatre as Ariel in The Little Mermaid, for which she won a Best Actress award from Broadway World Philippine Awards.
2012-2013: RAG: Rise Against Gravity Concert | Miss Saigon Audition | Tarzan Musical
In 2012, Rachelle Ann Go produced her major solo concert "RAG Rise Against Gravity" with special guests Ms. Regine Velasquez-Alcasid, Sarah Geronimo and Christian Bautista. It was held at Music Museum. She also auditioned and make it to the final round of Miss Saigon audition as the lead role Kim. She took the role Lara in the musical drama series Biritera of GMA 7.
In 2013, with the success of The Little Mermaid, Rachelle continues her theater career as she is set to take the role Jane in the Tarzan musical, which ran from June 14 until July 7 at Meralco Theater, Pasig City. She portrayed the role Libulan (Diwata ng Buwan) in Indio. Month of June, Rachelle Ann will join the cast of SAS (Sunday All Stars).
In an interview during Yahoo OMG Awards 2013, Miss Go said that she wants to produce a worship concert.
2014: Miss Saigon | Miss Rachelle: The Send Off Concert
Go was selected for a major role in the 2014 West End revival of Miss Saigon. She will play the role of the disillusioned Gigi Van Tranh by May, 2014 when the musical opens at the Prince Edward Theatre in London. Go will sing one of the show’s most notable songs, "The Movie In My Mind". Before flying off to London to play the role of Gigi in the restaging of the hit musical "Miss Saigon". Go held a two and a half-hour send off concert entitled Miss Rachelle: The Send Off Concert with special guests Erik Santos, Christian Bautista, Mark Bautista, Sheryn Regis, Jimmy Marquez and Regine Velasquez-Alcasid. The concert also commemorated Go’s 10th anniversary in the entertainment industry.
2015: International Awards | Disney | Cinderella | Les Miserables
Go won as Best Supporting Actress in the 2015 WhatsOnStage Awards for her performance as Gigi Van Tranh in "Miss Saigon."
This achievement caps Go's eight-month West End stint as the hardened bar girl in the revival of one of the most well-known musicals in the world.Last year, she was also recognized as the Best Featured Actress in a Musical in the 2014 Broadway World West End Awards.
Singer and West End actress Rachelle Ann Go stepped into her glass slippers as she performed “A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes,” in line with the release of the live-action film of Cinderella. Originally written and composed by Mack David, Al Hoffman, and Jerry Livingston for the 1950 animated film, the song was revived with a whole new arrangement and music video, but still maintained the main theme of Cinderella – never stop dreaming
Other International Activities
Rachelle Ann Go has been named one of the 15 Hottest Women in the West End by PocketSize Theater Blog. She currently stars as Gigi in the 25th anniversary remake of “Miss Saigon,” now playing in London.
Rachelle Ann Go recently guested on UK-based television and radio presentor and actress, Gaby Roslin's radio show on BBC-London together with the Brit Award-winning classical singing group Blake.Rachelle sang her acoustic cover of Coldplay's "The Scientist" and her staple Miss Saigon song "The Movie In My Mind." She also rendered a duet with Blake of the song 'Falling Slowly' from the Academy Award-winning film, Once.Rachelle recorded the duet with Blake as part of the group's up-and-coming album slated to be released in October.In the radio show, the British band tagged Rachelle "Beyonce of the Philippines." Gaby Roslin, on the other hand, raved about Rachelle's singing voice and mentioned how Rachelle left people in tears with her singing.
Music and Voice
VOICE TYPE: Coloratura Soprano
VOCAL RANGE: C3-C7
WHISTLE REGISTER: Yes
Go is a coloratura soprano which able her to execute ornaments and tremendous agility in high velocity passages. She also shows versatility in her music by singing different types of genres. Go has a dexterous voice that allows her to accomplish complex vocal runs effortlessly. Her voice also has the ability to hold notes for extending periods of time with or without vibrato. She is also well-known for her wide 4 octave range. Go has an extensive belting range which able her to access high notes above G5 with the aid of mixing. Her performance of "Kaleidoscope World" in Party Pilipinas shows her excellent control over her voice, doing a glissando for 12 seconds and hitting a powerful, effortless and relaxed G5 note for 8 seconds. She is also well known for her use of head dominant mixed voice in middle notes from C#5-Eb5 (see her "Movie In My Mind" performances) Her head voice is full and weighty, with an operatic tinge, and her whistle register is described as solid and piercing. Rachelle Ann Go has a connected voice all throughout her range.
Lowest Note : C3 (You Are My Song)
Highest Belted Note: A5 (Loving You, Party Pilipinas)
Highest Whistle Note: C7
Studio Album 
The Ultimate Champion - First Solo Concert
Night of the Champions -Araneta Coliseum
You and Me Valentine Concert- Aliw Theater
Pinoy Idols- Araneta Coliseum
All 4 Love- Araneta Coliseum
Falling In Love Concert- Music Museum
Rise Against Gravity- Music Museum
Miss Rachelle- Meralco Theater
|1998||Eat Bulaga! (Birit Baby)||GMA Network||Herself / Contestant / Runner-up|
|2004||Search for a Star||Herself|
|Star In A Million||Herself / Host|
|2006||Your Song (If You Walk Away)||Joanne|
|2007||Princess Hours: The Royal Special||Herself with Christian Bautista|
|MYX||Herself as MYX Celebrity VJ of the Month|
|Bench: Choose Your Color Fashion Show||Herself|
|2009||Your Song (Exchange of Hearts)||Camille with Gabriel Valenciano|
|MYX||Herself as MYX Celebrity VJ for the Month of January|
|2010/2013||Party Pilipinas||GMA Network||Herself / Performer|
|Puso ng Pasko: Artista Challenge||Herself (Challenger)|
|Charice: Home for Valentine's||Guest|
|Protégé: The Battle For The Big Break||Herself / Mentor|
|2013||Indio||Libulan (Diwata ng Buwan)|
|SAS (Sunday All Stars)||Herself/Performer|
|The Ryzza Mae Show||Guest|
|Year||Title||Role||Studio||Notes and Awards|
|2012||Of All The Things||singer as herself (Rachelle Ann Go)||
||cameo appearance singing "Of All The Things", filming|
|2011||The Little Mermaid||Ariel|
|2013||Tarzan||Jane Porter |
|2014-2015||Miss Saigon||Gigi Van Tranh|
Awards and nominations
- Silver Medalist (as Interpreter)- Astana Song Festival
- First Prize in the Best Own Country Song “Isang Lahi” (with Vehnee Saturno) – Astana Song Festival
- Silver Medalist (as Interpreter) – Shanghai Song Festival 2005
- Best Song for “From The Start” – Shanghai Song Festival 2005
- 2014 BroadwayWorld UK/West End Awards. She won "Best Featured Actress in a New Production of a Musical" for her ongoing portrayal of Gigi Van Tranh in the 2014 West End revival of "Miss Saigon".
- "Best Supporting Actress in a Musical" award from the 15th Annual WhatsOnStage Awards for her role as Gigi Van Tranh in the 25th Anniversary Revival of Miss Saigon - Musical".
- Grand Champion – Search for a Star 2004
- Paganda ng Paganda ang Boses! (Special Prize) – Search for A Star 2004
- Best Major Concert Performer 2004 – Aliw Awards Inc.
- Gold Record Award for Yo! Gloria Album
- Best Female Artist – MTV Pilipinas Music Awards 2005
- Female Top Star Entertainer – National Consumer Quality 2005
- Most Promising Female Singer – “Guillermo Mendoza Memorial Foundation”
- Most Outstanding Pasigueño Awardee in 2005
- Winner- 1st ASAP Platinum Circle 2005
- Platinum Record Award for Rachelle Ann Go (Self-Titled Album)
- Double Platinum Record Award for Rachelle Ann Go (Self-Titled Album)
- People’s Choice for Favorite Female Artist – Awit Awards 2006
- Favorite Mellow Video for “From the Start” – First MYX Music Awards 2006
- Most Outstanding Pasigueño Awarde in 2006
- Gold Record Award for I Care Album
- Platinum Record Award for Rachelle Ann Go (Limited Edition, Repackaged, Self-Titled Album)
- Favorite Female Artist – MYX Music Awards 2007
- POP Female Artist – 2nd ASAP POP Viewers Choice Awards 2007
- POP Kapamilya TV Themesong “Pag-Ibig na Kaya?” (Princess Hours) by Rachelle Ann Go & Christian Bautista. – 2nd ASAP POP Viewers Choice Awards 2007
- Female Top Star Entertainer of the Year”- 26th Annual Year-end Consumers Awards and Expo 2007
- Favorite Song in a duet “Pag-Ibig Na Kaya?” with Christian Bautista – 1st OPM Songhits Awards
- Best Mellow Video “Alam ng Ating Mga Puso” – Myx Music Awards 2008
- Best Collaboration with Christian Bautista “Pag-ibig Na Kaya?” – Myx Music Awards 2008
- Gold Record Award for Rachelle Ann Rocks Live Album
- ASAP’08 24K Gold Record Awardee for Rachelle Ann Rocks Live Album
- ASAP’08 24K Gold Record Awardee for “GV 25: An All-Star Tribute”
- 3rd iFM Pinoy Music Awards Best Song by a Female Performer: “Honestly”
- 3rd iFM Pinoy Music Awards Song of the Year: “Honestly”
- Revival Album of the Year, 1st PMPC Star Awards for Music
- Female Star of the Night, 1st PMPC Star Awards for Music
- Pop Female Performance in a Music Video – 2009 ASAP POP Viewers’ Choice Awards
- Pop Female Artist – 2009 ASAP POP Viewers’ Choice Awards
- Best RnB for “Paano” – 22nd Awit Awards (PARI)
- Gold Record Award for Rachelle Ann Falling In Love Album
- ASAP’09 24K Gold Record Awardee for Rachelle Ann Falling In Love Album
- ASAP Platinum Circle Compilation Awardee 2009 “GV 25: An All-Star Tribute”
- MAXIM’s 25 Hottest Women In Music – #8 spot
- 1st Most Liked Awards Most Liked Diva: Party Pilipinas
- Best Actress (Musical) 2012 Broadway World Philippine Awards: Disney's The Little Mermaid Theatrical
- 1st Sunday All Stars Awards = Stand Out Singer = (winner)
- "The Little Mermaid's Rachelle Ann Go Produces Own Concert". Entertainment. Philippines Broadway World.
- "Rachelle Ann Go". Bio. Star Count.
- "Rachelle Ann Go moves 2008". Entertainment. Phil Star.
- Search for a Star
- ASAP (variety show)#ASAP Live
- "Rachelle Ann Go". Viva.com.ph. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- Nel Alejandrino (June 20, 2012). "Another Aga-Regine movie in the offing". Journal Online.
- "Rachelle Anne Go, bida na sa ‘The Little Mermaid’". Abante. May 19, 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- Panaligan, Jojo P. (2011-05-20). "Erik, Rachelle Ann venture into theater via ‘The Little Mermaid’". mb.com. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- "Rachelle Ann Go and Erik Santos topbill 'The Little Mermaid'". The Philippine Star. May 23, 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-09.