Bouchareb in 2011
|Born||September 1, 1953
From 1977 to 1983, he worked as an assistant director for France’s state television production company, Société française de production (S. F. P). Subsequently, he worked for broadcasters TF1 and Antenne 2. He formed a production company called 3B with his associate Jean Bréhat in 1988.
Bouchareb began making short films in the 1980s. His featured film debut came in 1985 with Bâton Rouge. Since then his acclaimed films have included Poussières de vie (Dust of Life) (which received an Academy Award nomination in 1995 for Best Foreign Language Film in 1995); Little Senegal in 2001, as well as Two Men in Town in 2014 were both shown in the competition at the Berlin Film Festival; and Days of Glory, which received the Best Foreign Language Film nomination in 2006 and also won prizes at the 2006 Cannes Film Festival. Bouchareb's films have a following amongst international cineastes.
His film, Hors-la-loi, competed for the Palme d'Or at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival in May. It was the Algerian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 83rd Academy Awards and was one of the five final nominees.
- 1976: La Pièce (Kurzfilm)
- 1977: La Chute (Kurzfilm)
- 1978: Le Banc (Kurzfilm)
- 1983: Peut-être la mer (Kurzfilm)
- 1985: Bâton rouge
- 1991: Cheb aka Flucht aus Afrika
- 1994: Poussières de vie aka Dust of Life / Die Kinder von Saigon / Der Himmel ohne Sonne
- 2000: Little Senegal (Prix du meilleur long métrage au 11e Festival du cinéma africain de Milan)
- 2006: Days of Glory—aka Indigènes
- 2008: Niloofar
- 2009: London River
- 2010: Outside the Law (French: Hors-la-loi)
- 2012: Just Like a Woman
- 2014: Two Men in Town
- Le vilain petit poussin (2004)
- L'ami y'a bon (2005)
- Djebel (2007)
- Des années déchirées (1993)
- L'honneur de ma famille (1997)
- "Berlinale 2014: Competition Complete". berlinale. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Festival de Cannes: Days of Glory". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-12-13.
- "Hollywood Reporter: Cannes Lineup". hollywoodreporter. Retrieved 2010-04-15.[dead link]
- "Algeria submits Bouchareb's Outside The Law for Academy Awards". ScreenDaily. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Continue to Oscar Race". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "Nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-01-25.
- (French) La Beurgeoisie The French website for successful "Beurs".