Rachmastrivka is a Hasidic dynasty named after the town of Rotmistrivka, Ukraine. It is an offshoot of the Chernobyl dynasty dating back to the 19th century.
The founder of the dynasty, Rebbe Yochanan Twersky, was known for his humility. He was the son-in-law of Rabbi Pinchos of Kalk. He died on 4 Nisan 5655 (1895) in Rachmastrivka.
There are currently two rebbes, whose courts are located in Borough Park, Brooklyn, New York and in Jerusalem, Israel. The rebbe in Jerusalem is a nephew of the one in Borough Park, since the previous rebbe in Israel died in 2004, and his son took over his mantle of leadership in Israel.
Rachmastrivka is one of the larger Hasidic groups. The two rebbes had a close relationship with no tension between them. This has continued into the next generation; the new rebbe in Jerusalem visited New York on September 14, 2006 and stayed with his uncle.
Lineage of the Rachmastrivka dynasty
Rebbe Yochanan Twersky, founder of the Rachmastrivka dynsasty, was the youngest son of the Chernobler Maggid, Rebbe Mordechai Twersky. Rebbe Mordechai's father, Rebbe Menachem Nahum Twersky of Chernobyl (author of Meor Einayim), was a - disciple of the Baal Shem Tov, the founder of Hasidism.
- Rebbe Yochanan Twersky of Rachmastrivka (1816-1895) – son of the Magid of Chernobyl.
- Rebbe Duvid Twersky of Zlatipoli (d. 1915) – son of the Rebbe Yochanan of Rachmastrivka.
- Rebbe Mordchai Yoseph of Zlatipoli (d. 1939) – only son of the Rebbe Duvid Twersky of Zlatipoli.
- Rebbe Tzvi Aryeh of Zlatipoli - son of the Rebbe Mordchai Yoseph of Zlatipoli.
- Rebbe Mordechai of Rachmastrivka (d. 1921, Jerusalem)
- Rebbe Menachem Nochum Twersky of Rachmastrivka (d. 1937) - son of Rebbe Yochanan.
- Rebbe Avrohom Dov - son of Rebbe Menachem Nochum
- Rebbe Duvid (David) Twersky of Rachmastrivka (1872-1950) - son of Rebbe Menachem Nochum.
- Rebbe Yochanan Twersky (1903-1982) of Rachmastrivka – son of Rebbe Duvid.
- Rebbe Chai Yitzchok (Isaac) Twersky of Rachmastrivka-Boro Park – present Rachmastrivka Rebbe of Boro Park - son of Rebbe Yochanan - son-in-law of Rebbe Yaakov Yosef Twersky (1899-1968) of Skver.
- Rebbe Yisroel Mordechai (Israel Mordecai) Twersky (1929-2004) of Rachmastrivka-Yerushalayim – previous Rachmastrivka Rebbe of Jerusalem - son of Rebbe Yochanan.
- Rebbe Duvid (David) Twersky of Rachmastrivka-Yerushalayim – present Rachmastrivka Rebbe of Jerusalem -second to the eldest son of Rebbe Yisroel Mordechai
- Rabbi Nachman Yosef – eldest son of Rebbe Yisroel Mordechai (lives in Crown Heights and is a Lubavitcher chasid)
- ^ A D Twersky, תפארת אבות Tiferes Ovos, The Book of Rizhn and Chernobyl
- ^ שבת בשבתו Issue 611
- ^ "Rachminstrivka Rebbe visits New York". Yeshiva World News. 14 September 2006. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- ^ a b Rossoff, Dovid (2005). קדושים אשר בארץ: קברי צדיקים בירושלים ובני ברק [The Holy Ones in the Earth: Graves of Tzaddikim in Jerusalem and Bnei Brak] (in Hebrew). Jerusalem: Machon Otzar HaTorah. p. 347.