"Radar Love" is a song by the Dutch rock band Golden Earring. Music critic Bill Lamb rates this among his "top 10 driving songs" due to its lyrics about driving all night and its pulse-quickening, up-tempo beat. The single version of "Radar Love" reached #13 in the US. It hit the top 10 in many countries, including the United Kingdom, Germany and Spain.
The subject of the song is the point of view of an automobile driver who drives to his lover ("baby") and communicates with her without physical means like telephone or letters. On his radio, he hears "Coming on Strong" by Brenda Lee.
The song has been covered by Omen, U2, R.E.M., Ian Stuart Donaldson, Sun City Girls, White Lion, Blue Man Group, Def Leppard, James Last, The NWOBHM band Aragorn, Nine Pound Hammer, Carlos Santana, and The Pressure Boys. The White Lion version charted at #59 on The Billboard Hot 100.
Goth-pop band Ghost Dance recorded a cover of the song on the B-side of their "Heart Full of Soul" single, itself a cover of the Yardbirds track.
The song was also covered by industrial metal band Ministry on the 2008 album Cover Up.
A pre-Mercyful Fate band featuring King Diamond on vocals recorded a cover of the song. It is featured on King Diamond & Black Rose 20 Years Ago.
Notable song appearances
The song has been used in the following media:
- 1985: American Flyers, film
- 1993: "Radar Love" is included near the beginning of the film Wayne's World 2.
- 1994: Featured in the Ken Burns documentary "Baseball" during the 1970s Cincinnati Reds "Big Red Machine" story.
- 1995-1998: Portions of the song were used in Téa Leoni's sitcom The Naked Truth as the theme song.
- In two episodes of The Simpsons:
- 1999: In the film Detroit Rock City when Trip throws a slice of pizza out the passenger side window of a moving Volvo and onto the windshield of a car full of "Stellas" and "Guidos," causing a confrontation, "Radar Love" plays.
- Also briefly featured in the 1999 film Pushing Tin.
- 2000: In the Strangers with Candy episode "Hit and Run".
- 2002: Jeremy Clarkson Meets the Neighbours Series 1 Episode 2 - "Belgium & Holland"
- 2006: In the My Name is Earl episode "Dad's Car"
- 2007: The song was featured heavily in the Reaper episode "Love, Bullets & Blacktop".
- 2010: In the Newfoundland TV series, Republic of Doyle
- 2011: The song appeared on the soundtrack for the film, Cedar Rapids (film).
- 2012 in the "House" episode "Post Mortem", allegedly by a band called Georgia Steamroller.
The song has also been used in at least one video game. It is featured as one of the background music tracks in the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis version of the video game Rock N' Roll Racing. However, the song was omitted from the Super Nintendo and Game Boy Advance ports of the game.