Radha Soami Satsang Beas
Radha Soami Satsang Beas (RSSB) is a philosophical organization based on the spiritual teachings of all religions and dedicated to a process of inner development under the guidance of a spiritual teacher.
In the Indian language, Radha Soami means ‘lord of the soul’, satsang describes a group that seeks truth, and Beas refers to the town near which the main centre (Dera Baba Jaimal Singh,Beas,India) is located in northern India.
RSSB was established in India in 1891 and gradually began spreading to other countries. Today RSSB holds meetings in more than 90 countries worldwide. It is a non-profit organisation with no affiliation to any political or commercial organizations.
The basis of every religion is spirituality. With the passage of time and changing social values, the basic spiritual teachings become embellished with extra rules and considerations, and eventually take the shape of a religion. RSSB is trying to maintain the core of spirituality without allowing it to take on a formal structure.
The philosophy teaches a personal path of spiritual development which includes a vegetarian diet, abstinence from intoxicants, a moral way of life and the practice of daily meditation. There are no rituals, ceremonies, hierarchies or mandatory contributions, nor are there compulsory gatherings. Members need not give up their cultural identity or religious preference to follow this path.
The only official website for Radha Soami Satsang Beas is http://www.rssb.org/. RSSB has established this Website for anyone wanting to find out about the organization.
There are a number of other contemporary movements that use the name ‘Radha Soami’ but Radha Soami Satsang Beas is not associated with any of them.
At the core of the RSSB philosophy is a belief that there is a spiritual purpose to human life – to experience the divinity of God who resides in all of us. It is through this experience that we will realize the truth of the concept that there is only one God and we are all expressions of his love.
Central to the RSSB philosophy is a spiritual teacher who explains the purpose of life and guides and instructs members in a method of spirituality based on a daily meditation practice. The present teacher is Baba Gurinder Singh, who lives with his family at the main centre in northern India.
By performing the meditation practice according to the teacher's instructions, individuals can realize the presence of God within themselves. It is a solitary practice that is done in the quiet of one's own home. Members commit themselves to a way of life that supports spiritual growth while carrying out their responsibilities to family, friends and society.
To build on the primary spiritual practice of meditation, members are vegetarian, abstain from alcohol and recreational drugs, and are expected to lead a life of high moral values. A vegetarian diet encourages respect and empathy for all life and acknowledges that there is a debt to be paid for taking any life unnecessarily. Abstaining from intoxicants improves ones ability to concentrate and calms the mind during meditation. Members are encouraged to be self-supporting and not be a burden on society. They are free to make their own choices in life and maintain any cultural or religious affiliations they choose. RSSB does not involve itself in the personal lives of its members.
Radha Soami Satsang Beas lineage
The Beas Satsang was founded by Shiv Dayal Singh ji's disciple Baba Jaimal Singh Ji. The Beas lineage is:
- Baba Jaimal Singh - Master, 1884-1903.
- Baba Sawan Singh - Master, 1903-1948.
- Sardar Bahadur Jagat Singh - Master, 1948-1951.
- Maharaj Charan Singh - Master, 1951-1990.
- Baba Gurinder Singh Ji - Master, 1990–present.
- Charan Singh, Spiritual Heritage, Beās: Radha Soami Satsang Beas, 1983, 1998. ISBN 978-81-8466-107-1
- Jaimal Singh, Spiritual Letters, Beās: Radha Soami Satsang Beas, 1998. ISBN 81-8256-129-9
- Johnson, Julian, Call of the East, Beās: Sawan Service League, 1936. (out-of-print)
- Johnson, Julian, With a Great Master in India, Beās: Radha Soami Satsang Beas, 1934, 1982, 1988, 1994.
- Kapur, Daryai Lal, Call of the Great Master, Beās: Radha Soami Satsang Beas, 1972, 1975, 1986, 2005. ISBN 978-81-8256-089-5
- Kapur, Daryai Lal, Heaven on Earth, Beās: Radha Soami Satsang Beas, 1986, 1996. ISBN 978-81-8256-122-9
- Labour of Love, 1995, Beās: Maharaj Jagat Singh Medical Relief Society.
- Love in Action, 1990, USA: Radha Soami Society Beas-America.
- Munshi Rām, With the Three Masters, Beās: Radha Soami Satsang Beas, 1967.
- Sāwan Singh, Dawn of Light, Beās: Radha Soami Satsang Beas, 1985, 1989. ISBN 81-8256-028-4
- Sethi, Shanti, comp, Treasure Beyond Measure, Beās: Radha Soami Satsang Beas, 1991. ISBN 81-8256-133-7