Radha Vinod Raju
July 27, 1949|
|Died||June 21, 2012
|Alma mater||Maharaja's College|
Radhavinod Raju (Malayalam: രാധാവിനോദ് രാജു 27 July 1949 - 21 June 2012) was a retired Indian Police Service (IPS) officer. He joined the police service in 1975 as Jammu and Kashmir cadre batch. He is considered as one of finest police officers in India.
Early life and education
Radhavinod Raju was born in Mattancherry, Kochi, Kerala. His father R.S. Raju was a post master in Fort Kochi. He is survived by his wife Achamma and two daughters Sindhoo and Renu. His nephew is Music director/Actor Siddharth Vipin
His first appointment as Superintendent of police in Poonch District, Jammu and Kashmir. Then he joined SP in Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Ernakulam. After that he served as DIG in Jammu and Kashmir.
In 19 January 2009, he was appointed as the first chief of India's National Investigation Agency. Before that he held the post of Director General of vigilance department of Jammu and Kashmir.
He headed the operational wing of the Special Investigation Team (SIT) which found the killers of Rajiv Gandhi in 1991. His service history also includes important cases like the Kandahar flight hijacking, Purulia arms drop case etc.
He was working as a CBI officer in Kerala in 1983-89. At the time he investigated very important cases in Kerala police history like Polakkulam murder case, Panoor SI Soman murder case, Augustine murder case, Sujatha murder case.
- Triumph of truth:the Rajiv Gandhi assassination, the investigation by D. R. Kaarthikeyan, Radhavinod Raju; Publisher - New Dawn Press, 2004; ISBN 9781904910046
- Rajiv Gandhi Vadham Oru Kuttanweshanam(Malayalam) by D. R. Kaarthikeyan, Radhavinod Raju; Publisher - Olive; ISBN9788188779048
- Rajiv Gandhi
- Assassination of Rajiv Gandhi
- Kandahar flight hijacking
- Purulia arms drop case
- D. R. Karthikeyan
- "Details of IPS officers of 1975 batch, empanelled to hold DG and equivalent level posts under the Government of India" (PDF). The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), Govt. of India.
- "The Biography of Veteran IPS Officer Radhavinod Raju". news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- "Raju becomes the first Chief of NIA". The Economic Times. Retrieved 19 Jan 2012.
- "NIA chief inspired hit film 20 yrs ago". Hindusthan Times.
- Karthikeyan, D.R. (February 1998). "A crack investigative team". Frontline. Retrieved 20 August 2010.
- "Founding NIA chief Radha Vinod Raju passes away". The Hindu. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- "Radha Vinod Raju: a rare security expert, fine professional (Tribute)". newstrackindia.com. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- "NIA founder RV Raju passes away". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- "NIA founder DG R V Raju passes away". Zee News. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- "Central Vigilance Commission reconstitutes advisory board to check commercial frauds". The Economic Times. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- "Triumph of Truth: The Rajiv Gandhi Assassination: The Investigation by D.R. Kaarthikeyan, D. R. Kaarthikeyan". http://www.goodreads.com. Retrieved April 2012.
- "Sangam.org - Ilankai Tamil Sangam Association of Tamils of Sri Lanka in the USA". http://www.sangam.org. Retrieved 2 August 2004.
- "Rajiv Gandhi Vadham Oru Kuttanweshanam By Radhavinod Raju (Author), Kaarthikeyen D R (Author)". http://www.junglee.com. Retrieved 21 June 2012.