Radio 4 (band)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011)|
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York, USA|
|Associated acts||Garden Variety|
|Past members||Gerard Garone
Radio 4 is an American Dance-punk based in Brooklyn, New York. Formed in 1999, they claim their music is "made in New York, is about New York, and sounds like New York".
The band is a five-piece, comprising Anthony Roman (Vocals/Bass) (formerly of Garden Variety), David Milone (Vocals/Guitar) (who replaced original guitarist/singer Tommy Williams in 2005), Gerard Garone (Keyboards), Greg Collins (Drums), and P.J. O'Connor (Percussion), until April 2008 when Gerard Garone left the band.
The band was originally a trio, comprising Anthony Roman, Tommy Williams and Greg Collins.
They cite a variety of influences, including Gang of Four, Mission of Burma, Primal Scream and Zero Zero, though their lively punk sound combined with their militant political stance inevitably draws a strong comparison with The Clash.
- The New Song & Dance (May 2000, Gern Blandsten Records)
- Gotham! (April 2002, Gern Blandsten Records)
- Stealing of a Nation (September 2004, Astralwerks) - UK No. 157
- Enemies Like This (May 2006, Astralwerks)
- Dance to the Underground (June 2001, Gern Blandsten Records)
- Electrify (August 2004, Astralwerks)
- Enemies Like This Remixes (September 2006, Astralwerks)
- Packing Things Up on the Scene (October 2006, Astralwerks/EMI)
- "Beat Around the Bush" (1999, Gern Blandsten Records)
- "Dance to the Underground" (June 2001, City Slang) - UK No. 94
- "Struggle" (May 2002, City Slang) - UK No. 84
- "Eyes Wide Open" (May 2002, City Slang) - UK No. 182
- "Start a Fire" (August 2003, City Slang) - UK No. 130
- "Party Crashers" (July 2004, Astralwerks/City Slang) - UK No. 75
- "Absolute Affirmation" (September 2004, City Slang) - UK No. 61
- "State of Alert" (November 2004, City Slang) - UK No. 121
- "Transmission" (March 2005, City Slang) - UK No. 153
- "Enemies Like This" (May 2006, Astralwerks) - UK No. 162
- "Packing Things Up on the Scene" (October 2006, Astralwerks/EMI) - UK No. 175
- "As Far as the Eye Can See" (August 2007, Astralwerks/EMI)
Songs in other media
- "Party Crashers" in Project Gotham Racing 3
- Radio 4's song, "Caroline" is featured in "Rooney - Heart" in Nike's Joga Bonito series of advertisements.
- "Dance to the Underground" is featured in the musical score of Grandma's Boy, produced by Adam Sandler's production company Happy Madison in 2006.
- "Start a Fire" from the album Gotham! has been featured in Warren Miller's Journey, and commercials for FX's show Rescue Me
- "Enemies Like This" has been featured in commercials for the National Geographic Channel's documentary series Critical Situation.
- "Calling All Enthusiasts" was used in commercials for the new Schwinn Sting-Ray bikes in 2004.
- A pre-release version of "Give it to Me" was featured in Sharpie marker's TV commercial with David Beckham in the summer of 2008.
- Sanford L.P. (June 19, 2008). "David Beckham - Sharpie Markers ad (60 sec.)". YouTube. Retrieved 2008-09-22.